Whats your food budget?

shell09

Silver Member
Seen all sorts of questions around this mainly what food can you recommend on low student budgets etc

That's not my point here you'll be pleased to hear! Lol :)

I'm trying to pull the purse strings in realistically but I'm not about to go mad n live on potatoes n beans lol I enjoy to cook n happy to try all sorts of recipes etc. so wondering what you all see a reasonable weekly food budget is

It's just myself and my 7 year old daughter to cater for.... Her packed lunches cost me around £7 per week other than that I want to factor in lunches for work 5 days per week and our dinners 7 days... Fruit n veg oh n let's not forget the yogurts n Pepsi max!! Lol

This week I've been popping in n out supermarket daily depending what I fancy which is expensive! But want to start weekend batch cooking

Anyway I digress sorry! So opinions please what would you consider a reasonable weekly food budget... Oh I'm a saibsburys shopper if that helps

Thanks in advance

I spend around £75 a week on food for 3 of us. Sometimes more, sometimes less!

I don't really think about it really, I'm lucky I guess I buy what I want but am not frivolous, if that makes sense!!

I cook for 3 adults and a toddler. It tends to be £60-80. This week it was £65 but that included £20 on nappies etc. I most certainly don't live on beans. We tend to keep cupboards and fridge/ freezer pretty full and we have a varied diet. I tend to swap between Pepsi max and diet coke depending on the offers, this week I bought a bottle of Tesco extreme cola... It tastes very much like coke zero or Pepsi max but a little less sweet. And at a snip of the price I will be buying it next week which will save money each week.

It has just been me and the toddler this week so been doing half recipes and freezing one portion.

Popping in as and when certainly makes the £s add up but it also runs the risk of adding lbs because you don't have anything you fancy in so end up picking synful bits, or shock horror, ringing for take out

I am terrible at popping into Asda most days as I live opposite a big one. Planning is the key really. I always have a full fridge, in fact its not big enough now for all the s w food. But going to the shop so much is very expensive, I dont really know how much my weekly bill is, thats terrible, but have cut back on my visits this week a little. Planning the weekly menus and making a shopping list are essential to stop impulse buys, well in theory any way. Why oh why dont I listen to my own advice. Need to move to another area I think ha ha

I spend about £60-£70 a week for me, my 6 year old and my (almost) 3 year old. I shop at Asda but pop into Home Bargains for kitchen rolls and other bits and bobs every 3 weeks or so and probably spend another £15.

Lol I'm the same as in I but what I want when I want n don't really know what I'm spending! Il often have something in to be cooked n change mind last minute n go buy something different to cook. I have a lot of waste every week though

I can carry on as I am but I know esp in lead up to Xmas I can be more organised n save money n thought allocating myself a budget would help :p

I like to be flexible n go for offers too :)

I don't allocate a food budget, but i do make a meal plan and a list of what i need before i go...i'm not like my mum and sister who throw loads away and have cupboard full of peas etc but still buy them every week lol. It just happens to be costing around the same figure most weeks.

People complain that SW is expensive but tbh i used to spend more, i would buy a lot of chocolate etc which i don't buy as much of anymore, and i used to spend on take aways too and lunches out at work which added up to a fair bit.

We get paid monthly both on the same day. My first weeks shop of the month tends to be the most expensive as I like to buy all my cleaning/personal products all in one go. So I buy soap powder, kitchen rolls, toilet rolls, deodorants, shampoos etc and my bill is usually about £150. Then I go weekly for food shop usually looking for bargains ie 2 for 1 and id say weekly I spend about 80-85 for 3 of us (all adults)

Such varied answers! Interesting

Tbh I don't find it more expensive I like to have fruit in the house diet or not n I agree if anything im saving on the chocs n wine I'm not buying lol

We spend around £40-50 on one shop a month for the two of us where we stock the freezer with chicken breasts, buy extra lean mince to portion and freeze and stock up the pasta, rice etc as well as usual fruit and veg then we spend about 20 per week on in between bits like bread, milk, ham for sandwiches, tinned tomatoes and beans, fruit and veg. I don't do strict meal plans all month like I did once but when we are getting low on meats I will do a list of what we have.and what we can make without buying loads in to keep costs down. On a week where.I've done a cupboard eat down will usually only spend a tenner.

Part of me was like wow that's cheap! But both make a lot of sense! I've got to get organised I can save a fortune!

I like the idea of monthly meat fish n cupboard staples shopping n then just weekly fruit veg bread milk etc that could make life easy!!

I'm in ireland.. Tend to spend around 40 per wk for 2 adults but I try and include lunches in that.. No take aways usually as our budget is quite stretched atm. I do love a good bargain and offers as well.. Tend to shop in lidl and aldi as we have both near us and they usually do a special on foods.. This week it was 39c bag carrots and 89c for a massive double carton of passata

Well as of Monday I am starting buying a meat pack from a butcher's that deliver this is my order 1 4 person roasting joint 2lb diced chicken breast 2lb extra lean mince 1lb frying steak 1lb extra lean diced lamb and a 15pound fruit n veg pack all for 45 quid delivered not sure how long it will all last me but hoping at least a week for 2 adults a toddler and we usually have friends over .... I saw butchers were doing deliveries on fb page so thought I'd have a go as it will curb my impulse spending and I quite like the idea of a mystery fruit n veg box

For two adult and a 4 year old we spend about £40 a week on the weekly shop and then between £10 and £20 on extra's to top us up, that doesn't include little ones school dinners at £10, I know that's expensive but I like him having a hot meal (especially in the cold weather) and he's not a fan of sandwiches so can't really do him a packed lunch as he hardly touches it. I don't think I'd save much doing him a packed lunch anyway, the plan was that he could have sandwiches on an evening but he's a growing boy and we've found he needs both cooked meals in a day.

This was a tight week for us because I went a bit OTT on the xmas shopping! I budgeted £40.00 for 2 adults, and 2 toddlers, spent £32.00 :)

Sparkswillfly said:
This was a tight week for us because I went a bit OTT on the xmas shopping! I budgeted £40.00 for 2 adults, and 2 toddlers, spent £32.00 :)

Fab .... Once you start shopping for less you catch the bug and try to beat the previous amount you spent ....well I do anyway reduced to clear shopping is my favourite

Being on a state pension we have to eat carefully!
I find that the comparison website for supermarkets very useful, last week Mullarlight yogurt for 2x6packs were £1-00 cheaper in Asda than Sainsburys or Tesco.
also Asda had 4 tins of tomatoes for £1-00 also chickpeas 4 for £1-00.
Lidl had 4 tins of baked beans for £1-00 the other Sunday.
we buy the multipacks of lean beef mince, repack into 250g packs and freeze for future use.
Aldi for their deals on Veg.
Also we plan our Menu for the week so only buy what's needed.
Enjoy.
Pete

Back