Whats your reason?

jovibird

This may sound like a stupid question but im nosey, and wondered what is your reason for going on a diet?
My reasons - well ive put on alot of weight after being very ill and having major surgery. Months of resting and not being able to do anything have taken its toll. So now I am very very overweight and heading towards the big 40 in a few months. Years ago i would be at the gym for 2hours per day until i got sick, now i dont go at all. I really want to get back to feeling good about myself and everything that has happened over the last few years, and i guess ultimately get back to the shape and size I was. Blimey that sounds so corney now i read it back.... :eek:

This may sound like a stupid question but im nosey, and wondered what is your reason for going on a diet?
My reasons - well ive put on alot of weight after being very ill and having major surgery. Months of resting and not being able to do anything have taken its toll. So now I am very very overweight and heading towards the big 40 in a few months. Years ago i would be at the gym for 2hours per day until i got sick, now i dont go at all. I really want to get back to feeling good about myself and everything that has happened over the last few years, and i guess ultimately get back to the shape and size I was. Blimey that sounds so corney now i read it back.... :eek:
Doesn't sound corny at all, it sounds honest, and there's nowt wrong with that!
For me, i would have to say, it's because i would like to look at myself in the mirror without wanting to cry and to feel good in my own skin...now that sounds corny!
Good luck you will suprise yourself :D x

My reasons are in my siggy - to be less lardy and have babies! Other (slightly less important) reasons - to ditch Evans for good and get back to being to the woman my husband first met 8 years ago. :)

My reason was just that I had hit absolute rock bottom. Physically and mentally I was just a mess. I barely went out, I barely spoke to people and I was suffering with terrible anxiety attacks as well as huge bouts of depression.

I didn't want to live anymore.

SW was last chance saloon for me- I knew that- I couldn't go the way I was going otherwise I wouldn't have lasted much longer.

I <3 SW

When you are told by your Doctor that if you want to live you MUST loose weight, you are T2 Diabetic, have high blood pressure, your sugar count is high you can't walk more than a few yards, then that's the time to START!
After 1 year all the above symptoms are now normal,my tables are reduced to less than half, I can walk for as long as I like without stopping for breath, ride a bike for hours, "eat what I like" Why not follow SW? That's my story, my recipe link tells the rest with the recipes I follow!
Debating if I should go for 7 stone or stay at the present target!
Pete

You have done fantastic bilsat and thank you so much for your post re my hubby on another thread! You are his inspiration! He has only been on S W since Monday, lost 4 lbs so far, and his blood levels are back to normal.l Can whack S W can you?

Bilsat i've just been looking at some of your recipies, they look amazing. i'm in a real cooking mood today so hope you dont mind if i lift some recipies and get cooking ;)

My reason is because in photos i look bloomin awful!!! in real life I dont think I look that bad (unless i'm just deluded!) but in photos i look really fat! So I want to look nice and actually enjoy having my picture taken!!

I would love to not have an issue buying clothes... and feel the need to cover up even in warm weather!!
My impending 30th next year and somethings starting to tic (baby wise) I would like to be healthy and at goal and start trying rather than gain more weight if I fall pregnant.

I dont consider Slimming World a diet, to me it's a new way of looking at food that helps me to become healthier. For me, this is for life.

I have always struggled with my weight, I was always considered heavy as a child and a teenager, I would get teased. I ended up hanging with an alternative crowd and I had a BMX and a skateboard, I really took to the BMX but when I was 16 I got a PC and the internet, I would stay up late all night chatting to people on MSN and on forums. I then discovered online gaming and I did that a lot, I still do but I'm not as much of an addict to it as I was in those early days. I became alienated from my friends but discovered new ones online, some I have met in person and had wonderful times with and many I still keep in touch with today.

I got an apprenticeship with the Ministry of Defence and I ended up leaving that because of my online gaming, I loved the work but I was always tired due to being up late at night. I decided to go to college but I ended up failing my 2nd year of college, again due to online gaming. All the while I piled on weight. I eventually got a job and then another one which I've been at 3 and a half years, but my diet was still unhealthy as were my hobbies and just eating habits in general. I tried Weight Watchers and a Personal Trainer, I even tried eating nothing but carrots and apples (like Steve Jobs did when he was a teenager) and nothing worked. I always wnated to lose weight, in my head I knew how, I'd read books and articles, I'd learned a lot about nutrition from my former personal trainer, but mentally I was not ready, I knew my perceptions about food had to change for me to achieve any success. I was miserable at work and miserable at home. In 2010 I ended up in hospital for a week due to my legs being so swollen I could barely walk. One of my legs is still swollen but losing weight has helped it a fair bit.

One day I woke up and decided I wanted to go to Slimming World. It was the best thing I ever did with myself and I am a lot happier and my future feels a lot brighter. I was at my heaviest (27 stones 0.5 lbs) when I joined, the same week I got my blood pressure checked, which was normal and I was never diabetic, somehow i managed to avoid these things.

My reason for joining sw is because I found an old photo of me looking slim and stunning - I am definitely not slim anymore and definitely not stunning lol I have a major interest in fashion, but struggle to find any clothes that fit me properly and make me look ok - im a 27 yr old hairdresser but I feel like i'm in my 40's, my feet kill me after a day in the salon and I get really hot when working, both of these never happened when I was slim :-(
17.5 pounds lost in 4 weeks, only another 6 stone to go! Lol but I'm on the right track :)

I joined slimming world in January after a Christmas spent baking / cooking practically every Lorraine Pascal recipe going (mainly bread, pastries, cakes etc). I went along to group with my size 8 friend who wanted to lose a couple of pounds. I, on the other hand, wanted to lose a couple of stone! She quit after week one but I carried on. I was a 'normal' size kid til I hit about 11 / 12 when the weight just piled on. I wanted to feel happy in my own body, and here I am now nearly 2 stone lighter :) haven't set a goal weight as I think its more important how you feel about yourself than a number on the scales! :)

It's interesting reading this and different reasons.

For me it's

1) health, I hate the fact I get out of breath easily and want my kids to be active and have an active role model. I also need a thyroid op soon and am sure I'll get a finger wagged at me when they weigh me as my BMI is almost 36!
2) looks, I'm 30 but feel fat and frumpy and wear far too many leggings!
3) about ensuring my whole family has a healthy diet so my kids grow up with a healthy attitude to food.

i have a number of reasons - mainly wanting to go and try wedding dresses on but i also want to be able to sing in front of people and i cant at the moment as my confidence is rock bottom. my sister is trying to get me to audition for the x factor next year - whether i will or not more than likely depends on my weight loss

My reasons

Improve my overall health. I am asthmatic and have eczema and excess weight and unhealthy food choices has a really bad effect on my body.

I absolutely hate looking at photos of myself. I dread when someone takes out a camera. All I think about is please take it from the neck up, please, please. I'm fortunate that my face and neck are quite slim, no double chin or chubby cheeks so in photos I look okay once they're taken from the neck up.

To be a healthy weight, get fit and be able to buy clothes in any shop I choose to walk into!

But there is always ever present in my mind the knowledge of all the hereditary health problems within my family that I know could be complicated by weight and/or an unhealthy lifestyle. Heart problems occur in all my aunts uncles, grandparents and both parents, as well as problems like osteoporosis and arthritis.

My grandmother had a double hip replacement which was successful as she was such a tiny woman, however one of my parents now needs the same operation and has been told they have to lose weight before the op - trouble is they can't exercise and sitting around all day makes them bored, so they eat and with the excess weight it makes moving even more painful for them, it's a vicious circle really but it's scared me into doing something about my weight before it's too late as I obviously have a risk of developing the same thing. I've heard people make comments about my relative before as they think their mobility issues are purely down to obesity, I've heard people mutter "lazy f**ker" as they pass and it hurts me, so it's bound to hurt my parent too! I know the obesity doesn't help but people don't seem to realise just how painful a condition it is (even without the weight it's excruciating according to my grandmother).

I want to do my best while I'm still young enough to bring my weight under control and to keep the weight off so that if I do develop problems I'll know I'll have done my best to make things easier/less painful for myself in the long run. The thought of this is what keeps me on track.

My god i got a tear in my eye reading these replies, bloody hormones lol!

The reason i started this time was because my Grandad died in December and although he was old, it was a big shock to me, and i want to make him proud (he always said to me i was a big girl!) I have been on every diet imaginable since i was around 14, weight watchers, atkins, cabbage soup, slim fast, slimming word x3, calorie counting, etc etc, but the problem was that i was losing weight for other people...not myself! I never saw myself as big when i was a teenager, only my parents and brother did! (and looking back - i was fine!!!)
But after having my 2 girls the weight crept on. After having my first daughter (almost 8 yrs ago) i was 14st 10lbs. When i got pregnant with my 2nd daughter i was 15st 12lbs. After i had her i was 16st 12lbs (at 9 months pregnant i was over 19st!! I had pre-eclampsia so was all swollen!)

I decided just after my Grandad died that i would join slimming world the first week of the year, i counted down the days, i read up all about it, and sure enough i joined on 6th January! I am so glad i did it, as now i am 3st 2lbs lighter, and i know if i stick at it i will get to target, as this time its different, i have my husband's support (we wasn't together when i did the other diets) My eldest daughter watches me lol and i get a lot more body magic these days as i walk 4 miles a day for the school run!

I have inspired other people to lose weight too which is a bonus! My brother has lost some weight because of me, my best friend wants to join, my mum has joined and lost 1.5stone, and now my husband wants to join in a couple of weeks time.... all because i said to them if i can do it so can they, they just have to be in the right frame of mind!

Before slimming world i would have 2 sugars in my tea/coffee, i would eat 2-3 chocolate bars most days, sometimes as many as 5 choc bars in one sitting, i would eat loads of crisps, ice cream (i could easily sit and eat a whole tub) 4 slices of bread for sandwiches, 2 rounds of toast at a time, large take aways etc etc

Now i eat so much more healthily, i can leave food on my plate, i eat little and often rather than massive meals that make me feel sick, and most importantly i don't eat for comfort now, i eat because i am peckish, not because i have had a bad day!

THANK YOU SLIMMING WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to do it for my kids, I don't do things they want to because i'm so embarassed about myself like swimming or going in soft play with them - they are missing out because of me. Other than that the final kick up the bum has been my cousin and best friends wedding next June, I have a size 14 bridesmaids dress on order that I must fit on to by then. I have 41wks to lose approx 78lbs to get in to the dress so aiming for 1.5/2lbs per week loss x

Back