Wheat-free Dieting?

Grunka Lunka

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there who has eliminated wheat from their diet, either for medical reasons or otherwise, and how you're finding it? I'll tell my story as concisely as I can.

In September last year I discovered that I have an intolerance to wheat so I completely cut it out of my diet. To my surprise, this was easier than I thought it would be as I think I knew that if I ate it, it would make me unwell so 'resisting temptation' wasn't something I had to deal with as I just accepted it. Straight away I found that my cravings for different things just disappeared and I later found out that the wheat that was making me ill was also making me crave more wheat and sugar, so I was stuck in an endless vicious cycle. I'd eat wheat and crave sugar so I'd eat chocolate, which made me crave wheat so I'd eat toast, which would make me crave sugar so I'd have more chocolate and...well...you see where I'm going with this.

After cutting wheat out, I kind of lost interest in food completely. I'd eat when I was hungry but I didn't care what I ate so it was very easy to make healthy choices. I also found it difficult to over eat and the thought of eating when I wasn't hungry never entered my head. I felt fantastic and lost over a stone in about a month. However, various things in my life happened and, long story short, I'm back living with my mum temporarily. Now, despite my protests, she cooks dinner for me most nights (I always get home after her so I can't do much to stop her) and portion control really isn't a thing in her house (that's an issue my whole family has). She's great at keeping things wheat-free but now I'm falling back into old habits of eating everything that's on my plate, even if I'm full and then snacking on junk after dinner. This has caused me to gain some of the weight back and I find that I'm craving things after dinner again, such as chocolate. That's why I'm here and I'm now working on resetting my mind to how it was when I first gave up wheat so that I can start losing again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone wheat-free and how you're finding it? Are there specific foods that you really miss or do you find yourself going back to the wheat? I miss some foods (crumpets and pikelets mainly - the wheat-free versions just don't do it for me) but even though I miss them, I'm not tempted to eat them again because of how they'll affect me. Are there any wheat-free alternatives that you find are particularly great? I find that a lot of wheat-free items, such as bread, are a bit of a let down, although it is coming a long way.

Thanks for listening! :)

I am mostly wheat and gluten free. The odd bit does sneak in now and again when I have no control over who's making it.

I eat g/f cereal and rice cakes. I haven't found a good g/f bread yet but m&s is suppose to have a good one. The price of them puts me off. Need to stop being so lazy and experiment with making my own. Althou I don't miss not having bread etc.:) Get a smaller plate and stop between each mouthful to ask yourself if you need the next one.

Yeah I also struggle to find a decent g/f bread, although most of them generally make quite good toast as it stays crunchy :) I haven't tried the M&S one but their blueberry g/f muffins are amazing...only as a very occasional treat though!!

Yeah I've tried the thing with putting the fork down, it works sometimes but I often forget haha! :oops: Will have to practice that! Thanks for your reply!

Back