When do you know when to stop?

GretaGrip

Gold Member
Morning all!

So, I have successfully shed the pounds! I'm happy about that but seem to be suffering from an inability to know when to stop losing weight. Something I never thought I'd say!

I'm 5 foot 4 and I weigh 9 stone 1. My original goal was 10 stone 13, then 10 stone 5, then 9 stone 13...and so on and so forth. I then have decided on 9 stone but already I am musing over lowering this to 8 stone something.

What made you choose the goal you did? What did you base it on? And when do you KNOW that you've done it?

You're a healthy weight. Can you try and concentrate on being as fit as you can, now, rather than on your weight?

I chose my goal weight because the weighing machine at the gym told me my ideal weight is between 8st 5 and 11st 3, so 9st 7 is pretty much in the middle ^_^
To be honest the actual number isn't that important to me. If I look great in size 10s at 10st then I'll be happy enough.

Once I get to that weight I'm going to ease up on the dieting (still eating healthily of course), and if I naturally continue to lose a little weight then so be it.

You're a healthy weight. Can you try and concentrate on being as fit as you can, now, rather than on your weight?

I 100% agree. Try shifting your goals from the scales to fitness levels. I think us dieters need something to "count" so to speak, goals to work towards, so this should tick the box, and will help you achieve your ideal body, rather than ideal weight.

Good luck, you've done great!

As for my goal, its simple: Weight I was when I had my gastric band removed.

I am an inch shorter than u and im 9st 12, Ive been 9st 7 at my lowest and people told me it was time to stop because I was looking gaunt.

I think u should really stand in front of the mirror and concentrate on your figure now. Any toning to be done? Etc

image-1862427105.jpg

I have a lot to lose, so my initial target was the weight that corresponds to the top of the healthy BMI range for my height. Having said that, I can't remember the last time I saw a number under 18 on the labels in my clothes so I might feel I'm ok when I get down to a 16, whatever weight that is.

The mistake I made last time was trying to go too low, so I was still focusing on "dieting" rather than maintaining - couldn't keep it up and never changed into a maintaining mindset because I hadn't got to my latest goal.... got downhearted, fell off the wagon and now have to start the whole cycle again! So how about making an agreement with yourself to maintain your current weight until after christmas, give yourself time to get used to your new shape and get used to maintaining (which is the real battle!)
You look fab BTW! Huge congratulations! :)

If you are slim but still restricting, that is a problem. Restricting usually ends in hunger, then weight gain. A healthy body that's getting enough nutrition isn't hungry. You eat til you are satisfied because your body has what it needs.
If you are eating massive amounts of raw plants, you may be in detox, if you are losing weight without trying. If you have enough minerals, your body may open up fat cells to get to stored toxins and become a wee bit slimmer than you thought would happen. But very quickly it will balance out and you will maintain your ideal weight with very little thought.

I can't work out if she is just some spam bot type construct or a real person? I see the odd post from her though and it's never relating to the subject in question, or if it is, it's plain barking mad?

She seems to be spamming loads of threads, but as you say it's hard to tell if she's a real person or not - somewhat odd use of English at least. xx

Seems a little bit harsh to attack someone who follows and suggests a way of eating that's less mainstream than some on this forum. Reading back through her posts she seems like a real person who makes relevant replies based on her own experiences just as we all do. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, why not just scroll on? It's not harming you in any way. On the other hand calling someone 'bonkers' and 'barking' and criticising their use of English as not being exactly the same as yours seems like it's intended to be hurtful.

Plumfoodie said:
Seems a little bit harsh to attack someone who follows and suggests a way of eating that's less mainstream than some on this forum. Reading back through her posts she seems like a real person who makes relevant replies based on her own experiences just as we all do. If you don't agree with someone's opinion, why not just scroll on? It's not harming you in any way. On the other hand calling someone 'bonkers' and 'barking' and criticising their use of English as not being exactly the same as yours seems like it's intended to be hurtful.

Not really, it does seem like spamming because the replies aren't really relevant to the threads they're on a lot of the time, they seem to be just set on promoting their own agenda rather than actually being supportive of others, which I think is why it was being questioned as to whether they are a real person, and I just wondered whether the sometimes odd use of language was indeed indicative of a spambot - you get enough of them on forums like this. I'm certainly not opposed to people holding different views, but this one was wearing a bit thin as she was popping up on so many threads with seemingly irrelevant comments. x

Not really, it does seem like spamming because the replies aren't really relevant to the threads they're on a lot of the time, they seem to be just set on promoting their own agenda rather than actually being supportive of others, which I think is why it was being questioned as to whether they are a real person, and I just wondered whether the sometimes odd use of language was indeed indicative of a spambot - you get enough of them on forums like this. I'm certainly not opposed to people holding different views, but this one was wearing a bit thin as she was popping up on so many threads with seemingly irrelevant comments. x

If you are concerned that replies are from a spambot then you can report the post so the mods can use the tools at their disposal to investigate it and remove them if necessary. I can attest that this works. :)

I myself probably don't always come across as very supportive - sometimes I only have time to post information about the topic and not pad it out with a lot of the sociable courteous stuff - but if I (or anyone else) post something from my experience that might help an OP I don't feel that's trying to push an agenda, just sharing what worked for me in the hopes that it might help someone else. Which, in addition to the fab support networks here, surely is one of the things we're all here for, to help and be helped. :)

Plumfoodie said:
If you are concerned that replies are from a spambot then you can report the post so the mods can use the tools at their disposal to investigate it and remove them if necessary. I can attest that this works. :)

I myself probably don't always come across as very supportive - sometimes I only have time to post information about the topic and not pad it out with a lot of the sociable courteous stuff - but if I (or anyone else) post something from my experience that might help an OP I don't feel that's trying to push an agenda, just sharing what worked for me in the hopes that it might help someone else. Which, in addition to the fab support networks here, surely is one of the things we're all here for, to help and be helped. :)

No, I agree, everyone has their own style etc. :) But telling a nurse who has to work nightshifts that nothing will age her faster than not sleeping between 10pm and 2am?? Or telling someone on a TFR to have juiced green veggies?? And how does her response here answer Greta's question about goal weight in any way? Those are the sorts of things that make it seem like a spambot, but I don't think it is having revisited some of her posts. She just seems strangely insensitive and determined to evangelise at all costs. :) xx

No, I agree, everyone has their own style etc. :) But telling a nurse who has to work nightshifts that nothing will age her faster than not sleeping between 10pm and 2am?? Or telling someone on a TFR to have juiced green veggies?? And how does her response here answer Greta's question about goal weight in any way? Those are the sorts of things that make it seem like a spambot, but I don't think it is having revisited some of her posts. She just seems strangely insensitive and determined to evangelise at all costs. :) xx

I agree we are all different, and that can lead to situations like this where it might not always be apparent where someone is coming from. But I don't think it's a reason to be unkind; if she's not a spambot (I don't think she is, you don't think she is anymore) then coming back to personal comments like those that were made would seem a bit harsh. That's all I was saying. :) I agree the night shift comment in another thread is not terribly helpful but can see how someone who has never worked nights might not realise that people don't always have a choice (and if you feel strongly about it why not comment on that post to that effect?). :)

And on that note I will stop hijacking this post, LOL. :) x

To answer the original question, I started with an original goal weight of 160lb which was based on being in the health BMI rage. I wasn't happy with the way I looked or my size when I got there (still a 14/16) so changed it to 150lb. When I hit 150 I still hadn't reached my body fat % goals (I want that to be in the healthy range too) and initially therefore decided to try to drop to 145 although I was happy at that point with my size (12/14) just not how much of me was still made of fat. :D After some thought, though, I realised that this wouldn't get me to where I wanted to be either and I changed my focus and my goal (back to 150). Now I am eating a maintenance level of calories and trying (!) to do strength training 3 times a week instead of 2 in the hopes that this will help increase lean muscle and decrease fat. But at this point I kind of take things as they come and just try to work out what my goal is, whether it is realistic and healthy, and what might help me get there at any given point. :)

Back