When does a new day begin?!

charlies_mummy

all for my little man x
I have recently taken up permanent night shifts with the aim of spending more time with my little family, up until last week I have worked every weekend since my little boy was 6 months so that no one other than myself or my partner looked after him.

I have commented on previous night shift threads but am now a little confused myself.

My consultant has told me that a new day starts after 6 hours of not eating (?). I start my night shift at 9pm and have had all of my healthy extras long before this, I tend to stick to green days when working and so take a pasta concoction with me to eat after my first drug round at about 1am, from then on I nibble on lots of fruit whilst doing my paperwork and try and get lots of body magic by sprinting to bells and lunging up the stairs (my building is massive, and no one can see my foolish ways!).

I finish work at just gone 7am (home by 7.20, bed by 7.45) and usually only manage a couple of hours kip as toddlers do not wait for anyone, though he is good and plays quietly on his room until about 10 bless him. Although I have not gone 6 hours with no food would you consider superfree food as not counting, as there is no way I can then hold off until lunchtime, especially not with our energetic run around the park before lunch! Please say yes that my way of thinking is correct as I am typing this having just eaten toast, the way I see it is if you are eating the correct amount of food for two days over a 48 hour period it works, yes, no?! xxx

Hope this makes sense, am a little tired xxx

surely it's when you've slept?

So when you go to bed, day 1 ends, and when you wake up, day 2 begins?!

I would tend to agree with this. Or, just stick to days as they are..? Don't know how it would fit around your night shifts, but surely if you have two Hex As, two Hex Bs and 10 syns on a Monday, for example, it doesn't matter if you slept for two, four, or eight hours in the middle.

I would think that so long as you are consistent with however you look at it, then it would all even out in the end. You'd be eating the same amounts with the same limitations over a 24 hour period, regardless of whether those 24 hours are from midnight to midnight, 7am to 7am, or anything in between?

I agree it is the consistency that is most important.
You can not change that a day is 24 hours so it is your intake in a regular 24 hours.

I'm a bit alarmed by your sleep pattern! 2 1/4 hours will kill you.
It will also not help your weightloss. Your body will crave carbs for energy.

I'm a bit alarmed by your sleep pattern! 2 1/4 hours will kill you.
It will also not help your weightloss. Your body will crave carbs for energy.

Oh don't worry about me! I get a little sleep in the afternoon when the boy naps, and then have a very early night! It's only 2 nights a week most of the time :) xx

I do an awful shift pattern-I do 3 day shifts, followed by 3 night shifts then 3 days off, so I always work my 'day's' by when I go to bed(except on changeover day)
We do 7-7, so for example I finished days on Sunday at 7pm, and my food cut off at 11pm when I went to bed. Then I got up Monday morning and altho I had a nap in the afternoon I still count it all as one day until I go to bed this morning. It does mean that before my first night shift I have a 'day' that runs longer than normal-6am Monday till 8am Tuesday, but it balances out when I finish on Thursday morning as my Thursday 'day' only runs from midday/1pm when I get up, until bed time.
It's what works for me-its a bit of a pain before weigh in, as I normally eat less the night before weigh in, but it works out that my last meal is only about 4/5 hours before I get weighed instead of the usual 14/15!
Good luck working out a balance x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Welshtigger, thanks very much, I really love my short days, but the loooong days are hard work as I love my healthy Bs! Spoke to my consultant today as am not happy with my weight loss recently so am doing a food diary and hopefully she will be able to point out where I am going wrong, am going to put the times I wake up and then go to bed (eventually) on them. x

charlies_mummy said:
Welshtigger, thanks very much, I really love my short days, but the loooong days are hard work as I love my healthy Bs! Spoke to my consultant today as am not happy with my weight loss recently so am doing a food diary and hopefully she will be able to point out where I am going wrong, am going to put the times I wake up and then go to bed (eventually) on them. x

I'm glad my post made sense!! I guess it would to someone else who does nights lol! I maintained this morning which I was a bit disappointed about but after a night shift it's better than a gain x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Its kind of difficult to describe isn't it?

1st night in breakfast in morning, lunch then dinner before work, something to eat through the night then maybe some fruit in the v early hours then bed at 7ish after walking dogs,

2nd night get up have something to eat when I get up around 4 or 5 then work at 7, something to eat around 12 then something again in early hours then finish 7 dogs walked then bed

and so on, I think as long as your syns and hexes are aover 24 hour period then free and SF can be all through the day and night without a sleep, not sure how much sleep would affect losses/gains

it is difficult for WI though cos if I'm on night do I weigh on a morning after night (so an evening weight) or evening before nights (a morning weight)

IMO it all balances out in the end x

kerryathome said:
Its kind of difficult to describe isn't it?

1st night in breakfast in morning, lunch then dinner before work, something to eat through the night then maybe some fruit in the v early hours then bed at 7ish after walking dogs,

2nd night get up have something to eat when I get up around 4 or 5 then work at 7, something to eat around 12 then something again in early hours then finish 7 dogs walked then bed

and so on, I think as long as your syns and hexes are aover 24 hour period then free and SF can be all through the day and night without a sleep, not sure how much sleep would affect losses/gains

it is difficult for WI though cos if I'm on night do I weigh on a morning after night (so an evening weight) or evening before nights (a morning weight)

IMO it all balances out in the end x

That's exactly the same as me Kerry-what do you do as a job? My job is really boring!! So I always snack thru the night, which means I have to plan-and I drink loads too!! :)

lol I'm a nurse practitioner in a walk in centre so not much passing trade through the night, thank god for minimins keeps me awake

how about you? x

I think it really does, you have to do nights to understand quite how confusing it gets! My job is really busy at the begining of a shift 9 till 1, and then so quiet until half 5, in the past I used to pass the time with big bags of malteasers etc, and my lovely carers often still do! I tend to take pasta or cous cous to fill me up, and then loads of fruit to snack on. I try and keep all of the other nurses paperwork up to date for them over a shift so am often just sat writing, though I make sure I answer lots of bells so I can get up off my feet :) x

kerryathome said:
lol I'm a nurse practitioner in a walk in centre so not much passing trade through the night, thank god for minimins keeps me awake

how about you? x

I do security for the government!! All we do is patrol the building and grounds! Ao min numbing :( I hate night shifts more than I love food!!! Desperately trying to find another job-need to get back to care work as I'm hoping to do my nursing degree and need as much experience as poss :) x

Back