When will it 'click'

Dan8317

Hey all,

I've been trying to lose weight for what seems like forever but I just can't get in the right frame of mind. I go to group and joined with a friend who is doing really well and I'm so pleased for her and even though I know I'm going to gain I still go every week as she doesn't like going on her own.

Problem is I'm starting to feel really stupid going up and down the same few pounds as I just can't seem to get my head in it. Plus I'm wasting money that I simply can't afford to.

Can't understand why something that is making me so miserable and is in my control I feel powerless over. It just doesn't make sense. I can honestly say that at times I feel like I'm addicted. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, even if its just a kick up the bum and a stern 'sort yourself out', on the verge of just giving up completely.

Dan x

Hello,

I'm a newbie to minimins but I have tried pretty much every diet going but after a couple of weeks I just get bored and the weight creeps back.
If you're letting it control you, you are clearly passionate about the cause you just need a little positivity and a good kick start to stop it controlling you and you controlling it :)
I am trying to take a new approach through trying weight watchers again and shift some of this long standing weight of mine.
Hopefully we can help each other :) x

Hi Dan

Sorry that you are struggling.

You have to honestly look at yourself and decide are really prepared to put in the effort, dedication and commitment to follow the plan continously.

I am a gold member (planning to lose another stone) and to achieve what you want, overcome the tough days you need to be prepared to work for it.

Are you honestly prepared to work for your weight loss? If deep down you don't want to make the effort and make the necessary changes. .... then there is no point. All that's happening is that you're feeling awful and making yourself miserable.

You can achieve anything if you set your mind, grit your teeth and take each meal at a time

What do you truly want and how prepared are you to work for it?

Last edited:
Hi,

I struggle very much with food and binging. I'd go as far as to say I have binge eating disorder, it really is that bad. I am definitely an emotional eater- I eat when I'm happy, sad, angry, afraid. You name it.

I gained and lost the same amount of weight at WW and felt like I was wasting my money. It took me about 3 months to lose 7lbs! Then I decided to leave, and in a few weeks I'd put 6lbs back on. So I re-joined, determined to lose weight.

I bought a book to help my binge eating. I have two that are really helpful- Getting better bit(e) by bit(e): A survival kit for sufferers of bulimia and binge eating disorders by Ulrike Schmidt and Janet Treasure. The second is Overcoming binge eating by Christopher G. Fairburn.

The thing that made me sit up and think "I REALLY need to sort my eating out NOW" was after doing an exercise in the first book. It makes you write out a letter to a friend as if you hadn't seen them in five years. Imagine that your overeating continues during this time. In five years what weight would you be? What health problems would you have? What job would you have? What about your family? I gained 2 stone in the past year, so in five years that would be ten stone putting my BMI at 54. At that weight I doubt I'd be able to walk far, if at all. I wouldn't be able to work or start a family. I don't even know if me and my partner would be together because of the strain on our relationship of my secretive binging would cause and how unattractive I would be at that weight. My boyfriend is not shallow and he is not overly concerned about weight, but it would be very hard for him if I was morbidly obese. I know my depression would be extremely worse if I was at that weight.

The second exercise was to write another letter to the same person five years in the future, but as if you listened to their advice about stopping your overeating. What weight would you be? How would your life be different? I know my life wouldn't be perfect if I stopped binging and lost weight, but my confidence would definitely be higher. I'd be able to finish my university course and get a job. I'd probably get married and have kids.

Out of the two options I know what I want. And I know if I don't do something now about my weight then I will be facing a life of obesity and depression.

It might sound dramatic, but it was a wake up call I needed.

I still get some urges to binge, but it's easier to resist because I keep reminding myself of where I don't want to end up. I try and eat my meals at the table without distractions, as if you eat in front of the tv you're more likely to overeat because you won't notice that you're full.

Dan

Don't give up - that's the last thing you should do. Ununpentium and Cheekypasterfield both gave you good advice. I would add to the emotional eating comments. I read a great article on minimins recently on emotional eating and it really opened my eyes. If you have not read up on it, I would suggest you do so because it will help you identify your triggers.

I was in the same place as you about a month ago. I decided to give up the dieting, which was very half hearted, because I to was yo-yo-ing week by week and I could only be good for about three days at a time. After quitting, I decided to try to lose weight by running but I am not a runner whatsoever. I started the NHS Couch to 5k podcasts three weeks ago and every single week I have thought - this is hard, I won' t be able to do next week's run. But I have managed it and this really has been motivating. The reason I am telling you this is that this drove me to look at my eating habits again. My confidence has improved massively and this in turn has given me the boost I needed to stick to a healthy diet.

I re-joined WW two weeks ago because I wanted to clean up my diet and I also needed to be answerable to someone for my failures by going to class.

Do you think this approach would work for you? Could you find a new exercise based activity that would help you lose the weight and see if you get your healthy eating mojo back?

As I said at the start, don't give up because you will kick yourself for it.

Good luck. x

Hi Dan,

Reading your post is like reading my mind. I can't even write on this site as I am ashamed of what I actually eat. I end up starving and eat a ton of chocolate.

The other posts on here have really got to me. I actually do think that i make myself miserable trying to lose weight, yet I can't get the control. I'm so hungry all the time!

Good luck love, I wish that I could battle my demons and sort this fat out once and for all!

Hi Dan,

Reading your post is like reading my mind. I can't even write on this site as I am ashamed of what I actually eat. I end up starving and eat a ton of chocolate.

The other posts on here have really got to me. I actually do think that i make myself miserable trying to lose weight, yet I can't get the control. I'm so hungry all the time!

Good luck love, I wish that I could battle my demons and sort this fat out once and for all!

Aww skittle

Sorry to read your unhappy. Please don't ashamed x

I think sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves with looking at the end goal and the possible hurdles we can see which can make our journey look impossible.

Forget the past failures, focus on today and taking control an hour at a time. Focus on one meal at a time and forget the week, months or even years.

There are days when staying in control is too hard and for the short time giving control up seems the better option....and at the time it is BUT it's short lived and unhappiness lasts a lot longer.

Take a deep breath, get you ww books, get a nice journey, pack out your fridge with fruit/veg and just take it slowly.

Both you and Dan can do it x

Ye I'm having sugar free lemon with sparking water!!! Hopefully! All I can think about is eating!!

Aww hunni its hard the first few days but you are doing marvellous! You got back on the wagon. Do you eat much fruit/veg?

I find when I having a hungry day I use cherries as my go to snack fruit. I can graze on the bad days. As UK serena says they are zero hero's!

I got mentioned! Whoop Whoop! If I'm having a hungry day, I snack on Pickled Beetroot & Gherkins and eat one boiled egg white, they always cure my hunger however random it sounds! X

I got mentioned! Whoop Whoop! If I'm having a hungry day, I snack on Pickled Beetroot & Gherkins and eat one boiled egg white, they always cure my hunger however random it sounds! X

Ha ha ha ha I loved the zero hero's term lol x

Ha ha ha ha I loved the zero hero's term lol x

They are Zero Heroes, I have it on good authority, if you examine a strawberry under a microscope. It's wearing a cape ;-) x

Aww hunni its hard the first few days but you are doing marvellous! You got back on the wagon. Do you eat much fruit/veg?

I find when I having a hungry day I use cherries as my go to snack fruit. I can graze on the bad days. As UK serena says they are zero hero's!

Thanks! I'm happy! I know il prob go off tomorrow slightly as I am going to see eminem in Slane so it's gunna be burger van for dinner and loads of drinks! Keeping all of my weeklies for it, well bar 5 that I need for wed in Nandos!! Might try and have like a 12pp brekkie and lunch and then I mightn't eat at the concert!!

Back