when will it show if im out of ketosis?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by California girl, 18 November 2007 Social URL.

1. California girl

California girl On a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.96%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    Hi all had a blip this weekend (FIRST ANDLAST I HOPE!!) just got fed up of being only sober one (new it couldn't las!!) had a couple of vodka and pepsi zeros well actually three (singles) fri and four sat. i confess that it made me EXTREMELY WASTED having been on ss for 2wks but i didnt follow it up with a chinese or four bags of cheese and onion crisps which would be the usual pattern - just drank a litre of water and went to bed. When will i know if im out of ketosis? am a bit scared to test in case it says im not then later i am,

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. amethyst

amethyst Banned

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    CD
    i am not sure .... you will only know if you check...

i was very lucky when i had my blip cheese and pickle sandwich i didnt come of ketosis.. was weird ...

4. California girl

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.96%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    okay going to check now fingers crossed!! its like doing a pregnancy test!!!

5. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    Hi there, not sure about when it will show but please be careful, drinking whilst on SS is not a good idea and can be dangerous.

Georgie
    xx

6. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

don't think it WILL take you out of ketosis, however, it is likely to affect weight loss in that the calories from the alcohol will be used before by the body before it makes use of the fat it normally burns. Not a good habit to get into while on SS though. It will slow weight loss - and as you have found out, your body can't take alcohol very well when SSing

7. amethyst

amethyst Banned

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.17%)
    Diet:
    CD
    whats the result?

8. SoonToBeGorgeous

SoonToBeGorgeous Loving the Cambridge Diet

Diet:
    Cambridge Plan
    As soon as you go out of ketosis you will feel very, very hungry - which will happen within an hour of your binge

9. Bailey

Bailey Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st12lb
    Current Weight:
    16st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3.5lb(1.48%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Ethanol is not carbs so won't take you out of ketosis, haven't heard of pepsi zero - do you mean coke zero or pepsi max? If it had citric acid in then it might affect you but it's unlikely to kick you out of ketosis completely. Your weight loss will slow down though as your body can use the calories in the vodka for fuel, and it will do this first, before burning fat for fuel. There are worse things you could have done, but please be careful with alcohol on a VLCD, you don't have anything in your stomach to help you absorb it, hope you feel ok this morning.

10. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

Drinking alcohol when in ketosis is dangerous. I cannot remember where I got this snippet from but its worth a read:

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
    Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
    A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
    Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

CD C - googled it and found the source of your EXCELLENT bit of information above (Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies)

I'm going to post this on a couple of other sites to scare those who constantly cheat with alcohol. THIS should stop them!

12. blue_grapefruit

blue_grapefruit Gold Member

my favourite bit:

If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.

showed this to my sister (who is a doctor) and she said that it's the same as the worst hangover ever, plus a bit of death on the side.

I soon didnt fancy that voddy and coke!

13. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

CD C - this is worth pasting as a new thread so it doesn't get overlooked by people - will you do that?

14. California girl

Start Weight:
    14st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.96%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    thanks everyone - i already felt rough but now i feel worse, but good to know its put it in perspective. happily i am still in ketosis and not pregnant lol!! thanks for all your great advice back to the water for me!!!

15. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

Hi Dancing,

I have posted this as a sticky and renamed it dangers of alcohol and ketosis.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.