when you are struggling or think you have failed

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Dancing, 13 October 2007 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

I posted these in response to someone who was struglling and felt they had failed. A couple of you have mentioned that it struck a chord with you and so I thought I'd post them here. Hope it helps someone (including me) at some point on the journey.

It is on our failures that we base a new and different and better success.
    Havelock Ellis

Failure is instructive. The person who really thinks learns quite as much from his failures as from his successes.
    John Dewey

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas Alva Edison

Everyone fears failure. But breakthroughs depend on it. The best companies embrace their mistakes and learn from them
    Business Week

Does it surprise you that only 400 cokes were sold the first year; Albert Einstein's Ph.D. dissertation was rejected; Henry Ford had two bankruptcies before his famous success; or Ulysses S. Grant was working as a handyman, written off as a failure, eight years before becoming President of the United States?

Rodin couldn't get into art school on three occasions yet became a great sculptor; Abraham Lincoln lost seven elections before winning the Presidency; Babe Ruth stuck out 1,330 times in route to hitting 714 home runs; and Oprah Winfrey publicly failed several diet attempts before becoming an inspiration for looking great after fifty.

Setbacks, disappoints, rejections and unsuccessful attempts were not failures to these people. They were steps to their success. That's the difference between people who are winning at working and people who aren't. How you deal with your setbacks (big or small) will determine your results. You see, failure is not the lack of success. Failure is staying down when you trip or stumble. It's giving up, checking out, or shutting down.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. megsmum

megsmum Full Member

4. loosingit

loosingit Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Thanks for that

Great quotes - thanks for that - i'm all inspired.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.