When you get to target?

Clareel

Persistence not perfection
What exactly do you do to maintain your weight? I know you increase you HEs but how many more do you have?

I'm nowhere near target yet but I've noticed in my group the target members just gain and loose each week rather than just maintaining. When they ask for help on maintaining the consultant just says 'increase your healthy extras, not your syns' which I know is right but I don't think it's that helpfull.

Any advice appreciated :)

It is a bit of a balancing act and differs for everyone so there is no set answer to your question and explains what you see in your group. You add one additional HE every day and see what happens at WI. if you continue to lose weight you add another and so until until you stabilise. Some people prefer to have more HEs plus some extra syns, while others choose to follow the normal plan during the week but have one or two days off at the weekend. The official line is to increase the HEs but, as with many things on SW, you need to find what works for you and fits with your lifestyle. And it can take quite a while to figure this out, so the hard work doesn't stop when you get to target - in some ways it is even harder to maintain than lose. You are allowed to be within 3lb either side of your target so it is perfectly normal to gain and lose rather than stay exactly the same weight each week. In fact, accepting that it is okay to have a gain one week because you know you can get it off the following week can be a big psychological struggle.

Last edited:
I've been maintaining for over a year. When i got to target I was having 70 syns per week, so to maintain I put this back up to 105 per week and I also have an extra HEb on 3 days a week, plus I have slightly bigger portions than when I was trying to lose weight.

It'll be different for everyone. You are supposed to add heb's until you gain.

MaintINING ISN'T STAYING THE SAME EVERY WEEK, ALTHOUGH i HAVE BEEN LUCKY IN THIS. mAINTAINING MEANS THAT YOU WILL FLUCTUATE WITHIN AN ACCEPTABLE RANGE - SW GIVES US 3LB EITHER WAY.
(please excuse the caps, I hit caps lock by mistake)

Thanks guys that really helps.

Just to be clear I didn't mean I thought that people would stay at the exact same weight every week, I just noticed that there are a few people who gain e.g. 5 or 6lb every few weeks and then spend the weeks in between trying to loose it.

I guess it's just trail and error though.

Back