Where do I get the pleasure from?

sheenad

Starting total solutions tomorrow with my husband. Got no real food in the house and an Exante bumper pack in the kitchen:D
What I'm worried about is - where will I get my pleasure/comfort from when the food is out of the equation? For example, we love to go for little country drives - but I'm thinking of where we'll go for a cuppa and a piece of cake when we get there!!!

You can still have a cuppa. Just don't eat the cake.

Soon you will get your high from watching the scales move down. And when you are in Ketosis in a few days you will find it a lot easier to resist temptation.

Of course having a hubby doing this too will make you more accountable and it will be great to have him motivate you along.

I give myself little treats of clothes, accessories and makeup. I don/t have to reach a target, if I have lost anything at all I can have something. It depends what I need as to what I get. So it can be underwear one week, a lippy the next etc. If I haven't lost I can't have so it's great when I lose and that's where I get my pleasure from!

Eating for pleasure is a deeply ingrained habit, and it's how most of us ended up overweight to begin with. I know it's hard to go somewhere special and then not celebrate by eating. I have that problem too.

The first few times you don't eat (when you normally would have), you will feel strong cravings and pangs of longing, but after a few times, you will not feel it so strongly. It takes a few weeks to break a bad habit, but the resisting gets easier each time you 'practice'. Each time you resist, you will feel less and less like it bothers you. I still have to work on this because there are so many situations that I would normally go ahead and eat. I never knew just HOW many until I started trying to stop. Breaking this habit will help you maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life.

You could always save an Exante bar and instead of going to a restaurant or cafe, where you will be tempted, just get a tea to take-away, sit in a nice spot outdoors and have your exante bars. Not as exciting or as familiar as sitting down for tea and a snack, but unfortunately, no pain no gain :D

hugs and good luck!

I was a massive treat-eater before I started exante, and would usually eat out 3-4 times a week (basically my whole social life revolved around eating!) as well as having takeaways at the weekend. Four weeks in and I'm finding it fine - whenever I'm at a cafe with friends I have a sparkling water (with ice if its available) and it still feels like a treat; if we have a picnic I take an exante bar and maybe a can of coke zero; the urge to have a takeaway has pretty much gone... and being over a stone and a half thinner than I was a month ago feels like pleasure enough! Can't describe how much better I feel than I did when I was 'treating myself' with loads of carby junk!
Good luck with the first week, it will feel weird to start with and you might feel a bit deprived, but in my experience that goes pretty quickly and then its all just rewards :)

There is an amazing sense of freedom having cut the chains of living through food, isn't there? There are so many better and more interesting ways to live life - and much more fulfilling!

Great suggestions - thanks. Really like the idea of taking a bar with. A few years ago when I weighed a bit less, we loved bike riding. I could see us stopping and having a bar with a flask of tea at lunch time:D
I absolutely know what you mean about being free of the need to use food as a treat/pleasure. That's where i'm hoping to be with Exante total.
Had a bottle of water and hanging on for our first shake of the day!

My initial response to this was probably not what you should write in a forum but I do feel better all round! Lots of pleasure in my life. You lot probably have an abbreviation for what I am thinking. I still don't know most of them.
Anyway - the pleasure of buying new clothes in normal shops takes some beating too, puts food and eating out in the shade.
GSQ

Reading my initial post, it may sound like I have no other pleasure in my life! I SO do, but what I was referring to was the overriding instant gratification pleasure that food gives me constantly each day. It would be truly wonderful to not need that. Unfortunately I think until today:)D), I may be a food addict! I don't drink, smoke etc. but my crutch and quick fix is/was definitely food.
The really good news is, here I am at 9pm, an hour before bed and I've managed day 1 on total with no cheats and no hunger. Food tasted great too:D

Congrats, sheenad :) I think of my cravings and food habits as my "lizard brain". The really primitive part of the brain that makes impulse decisions based on what it has become accustomed to expect, rather than what is good for me. Sometimes actually stopping while in the throes of a craving, and making a point to myself that it's my Lizard Brain talking, discredits the urgency of the craving and makes it easier to resist. I'm glad you are doing well :)

Getslimquick said:
My initial response to this was probably not what you should write in a forum but I do feel better all round! Lots of pleasure in my life. You lot probably have an abbreviation for what I am thinking. I still don't know most of them.
Anyway - the pleasure of buying new clothes in normal shops takes some beating too, puts food and eating out in the shade.
GSQ

Hoovering! ;)

Sent from my Nexus One using MiniMins

have a cuppa but take a bar with you to eat to replace your cake, i took the kids to burger king yesterday i sat and had my bar with a coke zero

Back