Where to start?!?!

missal

I Am so gone!

Single Mum to a tribe of kids, working full time and so desperately need to shed some pounds, seriously considering a stupid diet that I won't be able to stick to, I am about 13 1/2 stone and need to be around 10 stone.

Suffering massively with depression and anxiety and have a recently finished a course of psychotherapy, I just feel like I'm in a dreadful vicious circle of depression/ eating/ tiredness / awful diet. I have close to zero family support and having five kids makes anything like this so tough! I just know I can't go on feeling this way.

I could go on whining but I won't! Any helps tons has to offer is greatly appreciated :)

Wow u are super mum:)
Hav u gone to doc about ur depression? U shud! There's nothing embarrassing about it! U shud just take care of urself!
I joined myfitnesspal and it's great calorie counting site! I have it on my iPhone as an app!
Add me mrsmoose
U will get lots of support from there and here of course
Best of luck in your journey

Firstly you should figure out some realistic mini goals, they really help with motivation in my experience. Also using myfitnesspal to log your food is really good, I started off on an app that estimated calories, which while quicker it was grossly inaccurate. I started by inputting a few days on a computer and you tend to be able to log quicker after the initial few days as it remembers recent and most used foods. Also if you have a smart phone it's a free app so that you can log on the move.. helped me keep a tab on myself no end!

I started at 14st8/9 (or 15 the first time I stepped on the scales in a while) and am now hovering at 13 stone, and want to ideally get down to 10 stone too, but I found that depriving myself too much just made me want to give up and I cried almost every day for the first 2/3 weeks of my diet. I was eating around 800 cal a day at this point which isn't healthy. I'm on 1200 now (the minimum you can healthily go) while eating back exercise calories.. and most days I cope well. You'll likely need more than me since I am effectively a sloth and sit around A LOT.
So having a little of what you like really helps psychologically.

I also found eating less refined foods (since I wanted to keep a track I made more from scratch) helped me to perk up a bit, I have more energy eating 1200 calories of wholegrains, vegetables etc than I did when eating giant bags of sweets all the time. Plus as you lighten up I've found I got less lethargic too.

I think you should just start, you can do it I'm sure, people are here for you.. this forum is really supportive :)

There's been some great advice here.

I have two children and only work part time so I am in complete admiration of you with 5 children, working full time and on top of that coping on your own too. You say you have pretty much no family support. But do you have a good friend who can support you with your aim to lose weight? Maybe you could ask them to 'weigh you in' every week. That way you will be accountable to someone and are more likely to stay on track. You can get your children involved too. You can all eat the same healthy foods together. You do not have to do separate meals for you and them. For example when I do a roast we all have the same but as I'm serving it out I just weigh my portions so I know I'm not going over the top!

Also I know you'll be exhausted in the evenings but if you don't do already you could try to prepare yourself a healthy yummy lunch to take to work the next day.

As you exercise just do what you can. I can imagine that with 5 children you're pretty active anyway. However, you do have the problem of not being able to go out and exercise due to babysitting problems. Running up and down the stairs a few times will do you good...plus the kids will think you're mad!!

Do join myfitnesspal like the others suggested and try to plan in advance what you are going to eat. In the past I have planned a months worth of meals, written it all down. Did the online tesco shop and got it delivered. That way I did not have to even think 'what's for tea tomorrow'.

Good luck, you can do it. xx

Hi Missal,

Just to echo whats already been said, myfitnesspal is brilliant and takes hardly any time to log what you're eating as it remebers your most used foods and you can also scan barcodes really quickly. I haven't come across anything it hasn't scanned yet.

With 5 kids exercise is going to be difficult - I assume going out to the gym isn't possible atm. Perhaps using an exercise dvd at home 2-3 times a week would be better? I have read a lot of good things about 30-day shred, and I believe the workout is only 20 mins long (I'm not definite on this as I haven't done it!), or even half an hour on the wii?

I only started a week ago but calorie counting seems the best option as you don''t have to spend a fortune like with SW or WW and I feel like it allows you to continue to live your life - as long as you eat in moderation and balance your daily intake, nothing should be 'banned', which would be my worse nightmare!!!:D

Good luck and keep us updated!

Soooom.x

Back