Where to Start...?

Hi folks,

New to the site and hoping for some experience and support! Over the years I have been fighting a losing battle with my weight, the most successful I have been is when I lost 4 and a half st with Slimming World 4 years ago. Didn't manage to maintain and now am at my heaviest (21st) It is now at the point where I don't want to go places with my bf for fear of people staring (he is 6ft 12st lol). Am thinking of starting a VLCD but dont know how feasible it will be....my bf is a trained chef so always wants to cook delicious meals!! I have been referred to the NHS weight management programme but have been waiting a couple of months now for my psychology appointment :( I really want to have a baby soon but my weight is putting me off trying, I dont want to have all the complications that come along with being a morbidly obese mother :(

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!!

Talk to your other half about the support that you need from him and why it's important for you. Let him know how much you love him showing how much he cares for you through his cooking but that for the sake of your health you need him to stop doing it for a period of time. Perhaps you can find other ways for him to spoil you which are not food related?

I started at 19 stone 4 lbs in July 2011 and ended at 10 stone in June 2012. I did that through a combination of Lighter Life and Slim and Save (both VLCDs). I don't think I could have lost the weight any other way. Effectively I gave up food and used 4 packs a day to fuel my body. Because ketosis means you don't feel much hunger beyond the first 5 days I didn't find it that hard to do. I stuck to it 100% - I don't think I would have been successful if I'd done anything else because I'm an all or nothing kind of person.

Since June 2012 I've been trying to find out how to maintain. I tried lots of different approaches until I found the one which worked for me. In November 2012 I was at 12 stone and I have stayed there roughly since then. I now know how to maintain. I am feeling very comfortable with that. I have come back to the diet to lose a stone to get to 11 (which is where I want to be long term) and then will be going back to maintenance.

Maybe he can put his fantastic cooking skills to use and keep your new diet interesting?

For me I was able to lose weight without using any sort of diet. But then I hurt my back and I had real issues moving about. So I found being on a vlcd worked really well.

cambridge diet has steps, depending on your BMI, my other half had to start on step three. I started on step one. So on step one you drink 3 or 4 of the products. Each about 140 odd calories ish depending on the product. Then you move on to 3 or 4 products and a small dinner.

I'm now on step three, slowly I have been introducing more food back into my diet. I have a small amount of fruit for breakfast, a bowl of salad leaves for lunch and then one of the meals from the recipes or a small meal out of the suggested ingredients.

I have managed to loose 3 stone in 4 months ish.

I have learnt what I actually need to live on, and about portions and the other reasons I might want to eat. (time of the month, thirsty, emotional reasons, boredom) while also shrinking my tummy size.

It would be really easy for me to lose that lesson and start over eating again. But I really don't want to be back where I was. I keep doing weekly weigh ins. To keep my self loosing weight. I also keep a diary, what honestly I have eaten and drank, and also how much exercise I have done.

I keep measurements as well, since we know lean muscle weighs more than fat per liter, its interesting to see the diameter of my legs now compared to what they were.

I hope some of that is useful. Its not an easy journey, but it is so wonderfully rewarding in so many ways. Its good to have support, it does help. And we are hear for you :)

Hi guys thanks for your replies!!

I Have decided to go with a VLCD (started it a couple of days ago) after doing lots of research about it online, hopefully this will give me the kick start I need :) xxx

Hi, just out of interest; which VLCD did u go for? Good luck with it; VLCD are a sure fire way of losing weight and im loving mine!

I can't say which one I've chosen, found out I can't mention the name as they have spammed on here, which is a shame for me cos I was hoping to speak to others on the same plan :-(
Which VLCD are you following? Xx

Oh right i had heard about that. Im doing Exante and it works for me. Only VLCD i have tried though so cant compare

I lost 7lb week 1 but others have lost more during first week. I did have a slip up during that week so was pretty happy. Ive done 6 weeks now and ive lost a stone and a half. If id been 100% the whole way through it would be more. So very happy as its my most successful weight loss

I have just started a VLCD and am on day 5; I was on Lighterlife but moved to an island where it wasn't available and I put on the weight again - argh! Now on a Pharmacy managed VLCD which seems to be working fine, though I miss the variety of shakes / soups etc - this only has 3 shakes and chicken soup! Will have to muddle through.

Good luck to you all, and fingers crossed for us new starters!

Back