Which would you buy...

I will succeed!!!
a cross trainer or a treadmill?

We pay £60 a month for a gym membership which we used to use loads. But we moved to a village a few months ago and we don't go much now at all.

So, OH said to cancel but I could get a treadmill or cross trainer to use at home instead as in long run we'd save money.

Which should I go for? Treadmill is good as can walk on it on days I am lacking the willpower or energy, but cross trainer is less dull.

Does anyone know which is more beneficial to tone? Thanks xxx

Ah good point - hadn't though of that aspect. Yep I agree...def seems most sensible if I will be using it a lot (well nobody can't say I am being optimistic there hehehehe).

Thanks SJ xx

Def go for the cross trainer.

I had a treadmill and ended up hating the thing, it was huge, ugly and never got used.

I have just bought myself a cross trainer and its great, I use it 4 times a week, and in 10 mins i burn over 200 cals, and go 2 miles!!

It is also great on the knees, a workout for the arms too.

I bought a second hand one because they are normally brand new anyway :) xx

Which make do you have loops? We're looking to spend 500-600 on one (or less if poss) xxx

Treadmill! I've had both, got rid of my cross-trainer though. you can get a folding treadmill, it still is big and bulky, but at least it takes up less room than a cross trainer then. Mine is a reebok i-run and I keep it in the kitchen behind the door, it is massive, but it sits in out of the way. I got myself a wee tv put up on the wall so I can watch tv and walk or jog. At least a treadmill is easier on the joints than outdoors.
What do you prefer in the gym? Do you get gym classes (like spin/bodypump etc) included in this price?
I get bored after about 6mins on a cross-trainer, but each to their own I guess :)
Good luck choosing! x

Gah just had an email from a mate of mine who is a personal trainer type and he said treadmill any day over cross trainer and pointed out
'you ***** that the treadmill bores you to tears but you favour the treadmill everytime despite this' - which now I think of it is true!!!

I used to do classes at the gym but I never go now it's a 10mile drive each way lol. So it's £60 down the pan atm and if I got something for home at least I'd use it 2-3 times a week.

I'll do some research - thanks all xxx

No probs, let us know what you get :D xx

Def go for the cross trainer.

I had a treadmill and ended up hating the thing, it was huge, ugly and never got used.

I have just bought myself a cross trainer and its great, I use it 4 times a week, and in 10 mins i burn over 200 cals, and go 2 miles!!

It is also great on the knees, a workout for the arms too.

I bought a second hand one because they are normally brand new anyway :) xx

Mine is a vfit, it was £30, so prob not as high tech as you are looking at :eek:

Here is mine, its actually a lot sturdier and robust than it looks in the pic..
V-Fit AE1 Keep Fit - review, compare prices, buy online

Last edited:
I too am going to cancel my gym membership and I'm going to get a hand bike (as my legs don't work!) but they are so hard to get hold on, and so expensive. I got some weights too, so £100 out, when I've been paying £35 a month for virgin active.
If it was me, I'd pick the threadmill, just because it's easier to increase the intesity as you get fitter with speed and incline etc. That being said I don't use either!

I've been no help at all, but let us know what you choose!

Cross trainer but thats only because i haven't used a treadmill

I have had a treadmill for about 3 weeks now and it is the best investment I have made. It has boosted my weight loss and as it is only in the dining room there is no excuse not to use it. It is addictive though so be warned lol

Cross trainer, like you tredmills are dull and i'd end up resending the darn thing!
I find cross trainers tone aswell as burn fat, and as i have a dodgy knee so its good for me :)

i love my cross trainer, in the shed at the moment whilst we are decorating. but we are buying my two youngest a Wii for christmas (yippee).

plus you can go jogging outside. dont need a treadmill.

We got both for when we were in training for the marathon, and I can honestly say we never used the treadmill ... but we still use the cross trainer at least once a week each.
It does take up quite a bit of room though. As someone else said Wii Fit is ace, very little space is taken up, and it's quite good fun too.

:)

i love my cross trainer, in the shed at the moment whilst we are decorating. but we are buying my two youngest a Wii for christmas (yippee).

plus you can go jogging outside. dont need a treadmill.

I cannot run outside...well I CAN run outside but I'd be dicing with death as I live in a little village right on the outskirts. The village is used as a rat run (grrrr) so the village centre is always busy with cars, and the country roads running from our house is too bendy and narrow to risk being squished by some boy racer/tractor lol.

No kidding, I have to get in my car to drive somewhere safe to run hehehe.

I'm still torn...OH wants a treadmill after we had a chat so will have to see...either way I am really lucky to be getting either :D

xxx

Back