Who here grows their own veg - Tip sharing

bexyboo

Gold Member
Hi all,

I thought I would start this thread maybe get some tips on veg growing and give some my self!! :)

I have a small patch at home where I am growing - Courgette, Broccoli, aubergine, runner beans, green beans and broads beans. Then growing peppers in the greenhouse.

Then up OH smallholding I help on their ¼ acre plot! Which we are growing everything - though the rabbits keep on making their way in!!! :mad:

So yeah - Lets talk vegetables!! :D

Don't despair of replies. There are lots of people on here grow their own veg.They just are not around at present.

We grow ours according to our climate here and our seasons are different.

and we get bumper crops and swop with neighbours and friends.

I love my fruit trees too. All citrus, though a friend gave me a big bag of golden plums the other day that will very soon be chutney.

Hya,

I have potatoes growing at the moment, and I won a chilli pepper plant at work, which I am growing for my sister as I cant eat any thing spicy, last year I grew lots of radishes which were really nice,

how do I no when my potatoes are ready to use?

cheers

Julia

I forgot I have a miniture pear tree, its not had any fruit as yet as I only got it this year, its doubled in size and has lots of leaves though, maybe next year I will get pears x x

Julia

I have a little veg patch with courgettes , peas ( I love them fresh out the pod .. I see more green days coming on when they are ready .....) , butternut squash ( not doing too well this year :( ) onions , alpine strawberries , and raspberries .. this years raspberry crop is amazing .. I am getting 2 big bowls full every day at the moment and my cats are keeping the birds away really well :) I love them with a little sweetener and some vanilla activia :)

we have an allotment too. previous years haven't been too successful as the rabbits get in and eat everything. this year though we have covered all our brassicas in nets and so far so good (touch wood!!!)

got peas, beans, beetroot, cabbages, caulis, sprouts, lettuce, carrots, courgettes, vegetable spaghetti, squash, sweetcorn, potatoes, red and yellow onions, shallots, leeks, turnips

strawberries (getting about a pound every day at the min), raspberries (first year so not much off them), blackcurrants (first year), goosberries (first year), apples, plums (nothing this year), cherries (nothing this year), rhubarb,

tomatoes and peppers in the polytunnel,

we also have ferrets and bees on the allotment

would love chickens but not allowed :(

keeps us nice and busy and hopefully lots of fresh veg this year :)

I'd love to grow my own veg! However I have no idea where to even begin. Where can I get information on the very basics? I'm talking primary school type instructions lol!

I have a big garden but most of it is landscaped so not much room for planting veh. Can I grow stuff in big pots and troughs? This is so exciting!

yep there's loads you can grow in pots on a patio. potatoes, strawberries, carrots, peas and beans, tomatoes and peppers.

there's loads of books and websites to get you started. or you can just buy seed packets and follow the instructions on the back. if you buy plants from garden centres as well they should be able to give you advice too, but go to smaller independant garden centres as they're more likely to be able to give you advice, rather than B&Q etc,

just google growing veg and you'll come up with some good websites

good luck and happy growing xx

got peas, beans, beetroot, cabbages, caulis, sprouts, lettuce, carrots, courgettes, vegetable spaghetti, squash, sweetcorn, potatoes, red and yellow onions, shallots, leeks, turnips

strawberries (getting about a pound every day at the min), raspberries (first year so not much off them), blackcurrants (first year), goosberries (first year), apples, plums (nothing this year), cherries (nothing this year), rhubarb,

tomatoes and peppers in the polytunnel,

we also have ferrets and bees on the allotment

would love chickens but not allowed :(

keeps us nice and busy and hopefully lots of fresh veg this year :)

Sounds amazing. Very rewarding and so delicious.

Do you freeze, pickle, jam and chutney as well??

There is quite a lot that is difficult to grow here but potatoes are a breeze. I always grow them for Christmas day.

Things like tomatoes, peppers, runner beans and tomatoes , artichokes etc. grow really well.

Cauliflower is hard to grow and are always expensive to buy in the shops but I love them so blow the expense.

oh yes, got into pickling, chutney, wine and jam making last year lol, go foraging in the fields round a bout for blackberries, sloes, haws and hips and stuff.

Proper little 'good life' going on here xx

this year we have various lettuce and other leaves such as spinach,herbs,tomatoes,fine green beans,courgettes,kale,peppers...and more,i cant remember!!! not as many different things as we have in previous years as we decided to concentrate on the things we really love and use!
oh i also have strawberries,blackberries and raspberries.

I've got free rein of my boss's polytunnel next week while she is on hols, so I will mainly be picking broad beans, asparagus, peas, grapes, strawberries, tomatoes, blueberries, brocolli, lots of herbs and blackberries and gooseberries from the bushes in the garden... Oh and she has chickens too, so lots of yummy fresh eggs!

No 'garden' as such for us, so everything has to be potted. I must say, I grow no fruit or veg as I generally kill things. but him indoors is growing courgettes, more tomatoes than I have ever seen, carrots, and have potato and salad growing bags ready for next year. We were gonna have peppers and salad leaves, but their failed to germinate :(
Sage and Oregano is my limit. Basil always dies, and chives never seem to thrive. Next spring/summer we will put more effort in, this time round we were in the middle of moving.
But we do 'grow' animals if that counts! (but not to eat) :D

spent quite a bit of time up allotment last week cos was off work, am at work all weekend now so missing it a bit,

heaven only knows how many millions of strawberries there'll be to pick by then, might have to get the jam pan out and make some strawberry jam.

and maybe the few courgettes that had just started to grow will be big enough to eat too

does anyone else have trouble with rabbits eating everything? we're had to put little net tunnels over all the brassicas to stop them, seems to have worked so will have something to eat later.

I'd love to grow my own veg! However I have no idea where to even begin. Where can I get information on the very basics? I'm talking primary school type instructions lol!

I have a big garden but most of it is landscaped so not much room for planting veh. Can I grow stuff in big pots and troughs? This is so exciting!

Hya,

all of mine is growing in big pots, I wish I had used a bigger pot for my potatos though, also in pound shops you can get bags to grow stuff in

Julia

Back