Why are there calories in Costa/Starbucks coffees???

Morning all,

Never considered myself as a dim person but can't quite get my head around this.....why is a coffee from Costa/Starbucks so high in calories when all that's in it is coffee and skimmed milk? If i have coffee at home with skimmed milk it's free syns!:D

If you have an Americano with no milk then it's free, but as soon as you start adding in milk the Syns go up! I don't have them so I'm not sure, but isn't a latte just milk and coffee? I had an iced Americano the other day and it was free and lovely! Just need a bit more sunshine now please...

I just had another thought, perhaps they overestimate because they don't know exactly how much milk is going in. Just a theory!

It's because the "free" milk you use at home is part of your healthy extras. You can knock six syns off the value of a coffee shop drink, if you count the milk as a HEA.

Just ask for a flat black coffee then add your usual sized dash of milk? They stare at me like a loony when I insist on cold milk for a coffee but I don't like the froth when they use hot milk!! Baristas can be so judgemental heehee.

milk you use isn't free, its part of your HEa option or syns. If you want to take the syns down then work out how much milk they are using and use it from your HEa. Don't take off the whole 6 syns if they are only using 125ml of semi skimmed and not 250ml, then you would only take 3 off obviously. I don't drink coffee so don't know the syns, but i know a small costa hot chocolate with skimmed milk is 13 syns and 250ml or so of skimmed milk is used, so i usually knock 4 syns off as its not a full HEa.

Starbucks do a fab filter coffee, just ask for it with space for milk and add it yourself at the sugar/milk station. Its cheaper too!

I always have black Americano never had one iced before though usually have Costa may have alook at that :)

Back