Extra Easy Why can u eat rice & potato but not bread?

princess.85

I guys,

I joined slimming world a few weeks back but only have started doin it this week as my weigh is seriously creeping up!
I know that rice & spuds are free on SL but y are bread, bagels et so high in syns and not free since they are carbs too?

Thanks xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

They are a different sort of carbohydrate that's why.
Flour is synned so bread (wholemeal) is either a healthy extra or syns.
Bagels etc are so high in calories and therefore syn value, that they are only allowed as syns and not a healthy extra.

As the Pub Landlord would say "rules is rules"

princess.85 said:
I guys,

I joined slimming world a few weeks back but only have started doin it this week as my weigh is seriously creeping up!
I know that rice & spuds are free on SL but y are bread, bagels et so high in syns and not free since they are carbs too?

Thanks xx

It's all about the energy density eg how full it keeps you feeling for the amount of calories. Rice and pasta fill you up for a long time on relatively few calories (if course 1/3 of your meal will be superfree so as to reduce the amount of rice/pasta you need to become full to begin with) whereas bread won't keep you full for as long.
That's my understanding of it anyway!

Last edited:
I imagine because potatoes and rice are full of water once cooked so hardly any of it is actually calorie-laden 'stuff', its mostly just water. (If you look at a portion of rice before you cook it its actually very small, not much bigger than a slice of bread anyway). Whereas bread is comparatively dry, its just the carbs themselves. It also has fat in, which rice and potatoes dont.

Plus bread, bagels, etc are usually made with butter/oil or some sort of fat.

Thanks guys that makes sense! :) at least u can have carbs on this diet so I'm grateful!! I did the cambridge diet last year and omg it was so hard!!

my downfall is alcohol so I'm going to try and save some syns and have my drinks at the weekend:D

Xx

Thanks guys that makes sense! :) at least u can have carbs on this diet so I'm grateful!! I did the cambridge diet last year and omg it was so hard!!

my downfall is alcohol so I'm going to try and save some syns and have my drinks at the weekend:D

Xx

I love carbs! :drool: Green days are my favourite, absolutely love rice & potatoes! :)

caroline1985 said:
does anyone know how many syns are in crosse and blackwell savory rice??

Best off using the search facility first off.
If you cant find the answer, then if you post in the syn sub forum, someone should answer :)

Need help big time! Read on a thread that cooked rice breeds germs! So i made egg fried rice for tea and hav loads left so was wondering if i put it in the fridgei wud b able to hav it for my dinner tomoz?

I think the "official guidelines" say if you leave it out at room temperature for a long time that certain bacteria may breed on it. If it's cooled quickly and put in the fridge/freezer straight away then it lowers the risk - and that then it must be heated up correctly. I know lots of people who freeze/refrigerate rice for later use (me included) and never had a problem, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Need help big time! Read on a thread that cooked rice breeds germs! So i made egg fried rice for tea and hav loads left so was wondering if i put it in the fridgei wud b able to hav it for my dinner tomoz?

Cooked rice is fine if it's heated up properly. Or you could have it cold?

Thankyou so much :) :) didnt think anyone was gunna take me on as it is abit ov a silly question but that thread scared me abit on about bacteria n stuff :( well i can now look forward to my egg fried rice n chicken yummy!

It's not silly :) I was a little concerned when I first read it a couple of weeks ago too.

I think the issue with rice is that IF it develops bacteria, it isn't killed by usual heating and can be very serious, but it is very unlikely to develop said bacteria in the first place. From what I recall from food hygiene training i think the general advice is be aware, cool rice quickly and refrigerate correctly, but don't panic :eek:)

Back