why can't friends see they're trying to sabotage you?

hellyhartley

I've been thinking about this for a few days now...

I'm back on SS for the second time and in a completely different place this time round, only positive about the scale of work and the time it will take. No trapped or upset feelings and actually quite enjoying the meals too!

I've been out a few times this weekend and had no problems with abstaining from food and drink but have already begun to get tired of justifying myself to my friends.

These are always the type that have never had a problem with their weight. The most common comments have been..."what do you mean you don't eat food? Won't you collapse?" "Can't you just have a couple of drinks?" "It's only a sandwich, what harm will it do?" "What happens when you stop? You'll just put it all back on again, surely?" Eventually I had to say "I've been a dieting for the last 15 years, I've made enough mistakes to know what I'm doing." Even my husband, whom I love dearly and just worries about me said "You know what's going to happen, you'll get really miserable, crash off it and end up putting it all back on again." -Needless to say, he's athletic and never had an eating problem.

I'm aware that a diet is never just for the time you're sticking to it, you have to change your relationship with food which can take years to get over in itself, then re-learn how to eat sensibly and maintain permanently. For people like me, who have a strong emotional dependance on food for comfort and support it can be even harder.

I also know to the outsider, who has witnessed a person trying and failing-like me-repeatedly to lose their excess weight, it can seem like just another fad diet that will fail again and leave that person more miserable. What they never seem to understand is that the control and self discipline required to put yourself through a food replacement program is a massive task that requires huge personal strength and commitment. Willpower is the main driving force in succeeding but these friends need to understand support is also vital to most of us. They would never whisper in an athletes ear "They look faster than you, why not just leave it to them?" but it seems perfectly acceptable to say destructive things to fragile people struggling to gain/keep the confidence to achieve their goals.

I applaud every person who can stick to a program like this, and thank heavens there's a place like this we can support each other.

Keep strong and remember you're doing this for you and no-one else xxx

I've been trying so hard for what seems like forever to lose weight, and my friends never seem to get it! they say they want to be supportive, but then they always suggest going for drinks or meals or somewhere that involves food or drink, and when i say i cant go its always the same.... one cant hurt, what harm can one little chinese do etc... which makes me feel really isolated because i end up making my xcuses and not going because i'm scared i'll be naughty... barely see my friends these days because of these reasons... and awfully, now i end up eating through boredom as i have nowere to go or nothing to do... vivious circle! so starting CD on monday, i'll just start carrying shakes around with me so as to avoid temptation and i'll always have "food" with me lol!xx

Crissy,
I've found taking one or two shake packets out with me really helped. The first few days are always the hardest and planning ahead really helps. After the first two weeks you can get bars and take those out with you. There's no reason why you can't meet your friends for coffee and enjoy your bar while they have their snacks. Other things like going for a nice walk in the park (weather allowing!) or maybe taking a Zumba class might be fun? Alternatively, find some like minded ladies to share time with.

Have you spoken to your friends about how you feel? If its something you can't face saying to them directly maybe send them a letter? I know it sounds cheesy but it's a great way to get everything off your chest in one go and will give them time to absorb it all in detail. If they really care they'll make the effort to do things you can join in with.

The people on this site are so caring and supportive, you're not alone. You CAN do it, we're all here for you!! Xx

Thank you, I have a small child and am his main carer so never really have time for things like that, its always weekends, and they always already have the weekends planned, going out getting hammered and eating :( Gonna try shake things up a bit, its at times like this i'll find out who my true friends are xx

ChrissyRiley said:
Thank you, I have a small child and am his main carer so never really have time for things like that, its always weekends, and they always already have the weekends planned, going out getting hammered and eating :( Gonna try shake things up a bit, its at times like this i'll find out who my true friends are xx

That sucks honey. I'm a bit like that with some of my friends. They don't really go out and drink anymore, to be fair I was the worst one for that! -but it does seem like you can't go round without taking a pizza or cake. It doesn't help for me that my friend is a fabulous baker and her cakes are orgasmic!
I never minded but I suppose there is an advantage to weight watchers or slimming world in that you can talk to other like minded people there where as on CWP there's only you and the CDC. :/

Stick with it and maybe try and take little timeouts for yourself if you can. Sometimes if I'm feeling hungry I'll go and paint my nails or do my hair, it helps to take my mind off it. To be honest though, it's rare I feel hungry anymore :)

We're all behind you honey xxx

That's a shame that they're not supportive :( I'm really lucky to have just a few close best friends who have been really supportive towards me whilst I've been on this. One of my friends actually said to me today that I've inspired her to lose weight which was nice! But yeh u will seriously find out who really cares n who your real friends are. Try explaining how u feel and that you won't be on this diet forever - u can arrange a big night out/ get together when you're at goal :) keep strong ladies and let it make u more determined to prove them wrong! :D and u always have everyone on here for support ;) xx

Back