Why do I sabotage the best diet I have ever done??

doodles

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
Sorry to moan but I cant believe I am doing this to myself.

I started LL in Jan and after my 100days I switched to Cambridge. I have lost 9 stone in total and gone from size 32 to size 14/16 I cant believe how good I feel and how wonderful it is to be able to shop and buy lovely clothes at a fraction of the price that Evans charge. So WHY over the last two weeks have I started to binge :cry: I am throwing food down my neck like you wouldn't believe, and I dont stop until I feel so full I have a pain. Why am I sabotaging this fantastic diet??? I then get back on it and ss for 3 days then the cycle starts again. Help i feel so crappy.

Sorry to moan but I cant believe I am doing this to myself.

I started LL in Jan and after my 100days I switched to Cambridge. I have lost 9 stone in total and gone from size 32 to size 14/16 I cant believe how good I feel and how wonderful it is to be able to shop and buy lovely clothes at a fraction of the price that Evans charge. So WHY over the last two weeks have I started to binge :cry: I am throwing food down my neck like you wouldn't believe, and I dont stop until I feel so full I have a pain. Why am I sabotaging this fantastic diet??? I then get back on it and ss for 3 days then the cycle starts again. Help i feel so crappy.

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS on losing 9 stone!!! That is truly amazing.:eek::D:D

I'm not in a position to understand how that feels yet and what it can do to your head, so to speak. What I do know about behaviour and relapsing though is how important it is to try and identify what the triggers are for you doing this recently.....and as quickly as possible!!

If it was me, and you haven't already tried this I would really recommend that you start keeping a daily food diary NOW. Where you are, who you are with and how you feel before eating. It could at least help you to feel as though you were doing something about it and slowing down the self sabotage.

I hope I am making some sense here hun and I apologise if I'm not as I'm tired. I saw your post and can sense how painful and confusing this is for you.
I just know that doing anything to recognise why you are behaving like this at the moment, should hopefully make you feel as though you have taken some control back :)

Again, fantastic weight loss. Remember what you have achieved and how far you have come and I'm sure you can get a grip of whatever is making you binge and knock it on the head.

Stay on the site as much as you can because you are definitely not alone with issues like this and I'm confident that loads of ideas and support are going to come flooding in.

Love and positivity.:)

Lacey :D

Doodles, all I can do is offer hugs (and lots of them) because I did exactly the same!

I lost 6 stone on LL, moved away from the area where I lived and transferred to CD as there was no LL around here.

Since then I've been living in binge city! In the last year I have yo-yoed up and down and finally gave up SSing a few months ago. The weight piled on. Subsequently I felt rubbish and I'm back on the SS merry go round again.

This isn't much help to you I know but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

I can't answer the question as to why you are bingeing but i can identify with you.

You have done incredibly well to loose 9 stones in 8 months! I'm so impressed. Why not go upstairs look at the size 14 clothes that you have got and then everytime you think about bingeing ask yourself is it worth it?

(((Hugs to you fellow yorkshire lass)))))

Thanks girls for your replies, Isis I only do this when I am on my own and I think boredom is a big factor. Also once I have eaten something, my head tells me the day is ruined and I might as well eat, and I cant stop until I feel ill. I am so worried as somebody recently told me that 95% of people who lose weight put most of it back on. I dont want to put all my hardwork to waste. I will write a diary and I read these pages daily, they offer lots of encouragement.
Thanks again
Sarah x

I can't answer the question as to why you are bingeing but i can identify with you.

You have done incredibly well to loose 9 stones in 8 months! I'm so impressed. Why not go upstairs look at the size 14 clothes that you have got and then everytime you think about bingeing ask yourself is it worth it?

(((Hugs to you fellow yorkshire lass)))))

Great advice Chika :)

Looking at all the lovely clothes you have that ARE NOT from Evans could really help you "shift gear" in your head?:D

Oh gosh Sarah. Loads of hugs:hug99: Been there, done that and all that.

You have done an amazing job, but the problem often comes when you don't change your reasons for dieting. No doubt at the beginning you wanted to be slim. Now you are. So what keeps you going now? You need a new target. Being slim isn't enough for you now.

Are you at goal yet? How much more do you need to lose?

Doodles you have done brilliantly to lose like this, what an achiever! You didn't say what your goal weight is or how far you still have to go, but maybe now is time to pause and take stock of the situation. I think longterm dieting can make your mind and body confused about feelings of hunger, satiety and overfullness until you are either unable to recognise the signs or are not even creating them any more.

It's time to for you to take control. Trying to keep SSing like this just compounds your feeling that you have lost control. Stabilise, tell yourself you can eat but set limits, there are any number of diets where you count calories, points, units whatever. Once your eating and weight have resettled then maybe think about SSing again if that is what you want to do.

Easier said than done I know, I wish you well with the journey.

:hug99:
Did you go through your stabilisation and maintenance programmes. If not it may be that you have started re eating in the wrong order and this has sent everything a bit haywire.

You have done extremely well and achieved a fantastic weightloss so be very proud of yourself.

Why not get back to a firm structure. If you still have weight to lose follow the 1200 programme fill out the day with small healthy foods from the programme.

Probably when you started out you never thought you would lose 9 stones but you have, your mind now has to really catch up with your body. I have seen others sabotage their great results in this way.

Doing SS again after such a good loss is hard as you can feel you are starting all over again. Day 3 or 4 is the hardest your brain will try and trick you to eat as the glycogen store is empty and your body needs to break down fat for the energy it needs, this is hard work and your body really does not want to do this.

If you are going to SS be ready for this day and split your packs, up your water, find things to do.

I do feel a little while on 1200 would be a good place to be at the moment to get things back in control.

:hug99:

Doodles honey :)

I hope some of these very experienced replies are helping you in some small way tonight?

Best thoughts and wishes,

Lacey x :D

Hi Doodles, I can totally sympathise with you on this, I too feel like I am pushing self destruct, and CD Counsellor has a very good tip, I didnt work through the stages properly, and I am starting back to work through them properly to see if this helps.

I do find that my diary helps, and when i maintain I am also going to rejoin Weight loss resources again, as this helped me massively.

You have done the right thing in addressing it now, stick with us hun, we'll help you get there x

What really good advice!

Personally, I didn't follow the stabilisation programme at all, because I left my LL counsellor and group before I could do maintenance (350 miles was a bit far to travel lol).

I know that was definately a major part of my problem. I wish I could have done it properly but I don't judge myself because I just didn't have the options.

All the recent mucking about means I now have about 3 1/2 (or possibly 4) to get back to goal. Seems like a long way at the moment but I've woken up today with renewed determination.

Been listening to my Stop Comfort Eating CD and concentrating on KDs favourite of not acting on the emotion!!!

Lots of hugs to you sweetheart.

I think we can all identify with this sort of behaviour. Another idea might be to try and focus on how damaging yo-yoing is for your body -if you binge/starve your body doesnt know what is going on and suffers as the end result.

I am reading a really good book called free yourself from emotional eating - i got it on amazon. i cant remember the author but i'll find it for you later and post again. these types of books are sometimes really good to help you realise your triggers and deal with them.

i'll be back hun xxx

yes thats right! thanks for that. yes i know what you mean - you can't do the food diaries etc etc but i think it sets you in good stead for when you are maintaining and having to face food again.

Thanks girls for your replies, Isis I only do this when I am on my own and I think boredom is a big factor. Also once I have eaten something, my head tells me the day is ruined and I might as well eat, and I cant stop until I feel ill. I am so worried as somebody recently told me that 95% of people who lose weight put most of it back on. I dont want to put all my hardwork to waste. I will write a diary and I read these pages daily, they offer lots of encouragement.
Thanks again
Sarah x

Hi, I just want to say well done on losing 9 stone! that is truly amazing!
I also want to say you are not alone, I do exactly the same! I went to a wedding the weekend, felt amazing, had a fab new outfit on, was strong throughout and didn't eat a thing but then i ate Wed and Thu evening. Its not eating either, its binging! I'm like a woman possessed, when i start i think 'well i've blown it so may as well eat everything i want' and then i do! I also tend to do it when no one is around, like i'm ashamed of how much i can eat? I don't understand it and I have no idea why I do it so I'm sorry not to be able to help more, i just want you to know your not alone with this one :)

I too can identify with this. I can go on nights out or away on holiday and stick to plan then a few days later I screw it all up by eating crap!

What is that all about?

Unlike you I haven't yet put in the hard work and lost the weight. Nine stones is an amazing loss. Well done.

I really do hope you find a way to get through this because the binge cycle you are in is no way to live a healthy life. I am going to have a lot of work to do in this area when I get near to goal.

Best of luck

Jac

Hi, everyone, thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. It really does help that you know how I am feeling and that some of you have been there. I will look for the book on amazon. I now have about 21 lbs to go until I am at target weight, which I know I can do. What I dont understand is when I had over 10 stone to loose I got my head down and I didn't waiver at all. From 12th Jan until 4th Aug not one thing passed through my lips that was not allowed, I even managed a weeks all inclusive holiday using just my packs.The 4th Aug was my birthday and then things just went haywire!!! The month of Aug has been a nightmare and I have hardly lost any weight. Also my cd counsellor has been away so I havent seen her for 4 weeks. I go back to see her on Sunday, so hopefully I can make that my new start.

I think my problems might stem from people paying me compliments.....everyone is saying how fantastic I look and I must be at goal now. Even though I have a stone and a half to loose, people are saying you dont want to be losing anymore!?!?! I have been overweight all my life and have never had anyone saying these nice things to me before, I am starting to listen to what they are saying, but really deep down I do know I have to loose a bit more, I want to be a healthy bmi.
I think I will talk to my cdc on Sunday and see about working up the steps as I should still lose weight as I climb.
Thanks for all your support, sorry for the long post!

Sarah x

Back