Why do we self sabotage?

*soon-to-be-slim*

Silver Member
Well the first few weeks I did well... Then I have some stress and it all went to pot!

How do you overcome comfort eating and self sabotage...?? I know when I eat it it's wrong but can't resist!!

It's so hard to get back in the zone!!

I know it's sometimes easier said than done but it's a case of just drawing a line underneath it and getting back on plan.... Everyone has slips every now and then but I you want this to be a plan for life then it's important I think to except that sometimes in life we eat things that aren't good for us and rather than saying we sabotaged our diet it's better to say I had a blip but it isn't going to ruin the rest of my diet and I'm not going to keep making myself feel bad for it.

Chin up and stop feeling bad, it can lead to a viscous cycle of comfort eating, feeling bad because of it then comfort eating again!

Oh and in my experience it's never as bad as your head makes it out to be!

jezzi999 said:
I used to be a nightmare for self sabotage, but then I worked out why I was doing it.

If I didn't do the plan properly, cheated etc, and then didn't lose weight, I would tell myself oh it's because I cheated. But if I wanted to I could do it 100% and then I'd lose loads. So i'm totally capable of doing it, but I'm chosing not to.

Bull****. I was scared of doing it 100% and still not losing, so I was avoiding doing it 100% so I wouldn't fail! It's so crazy that I don't even know if that makes sense to anyone else?!?

So people would say oh you're eating healthy and I'd say husband is doing SW and I'm just cooking his meals for him, so wouldn't even admit I was trying to do it, and sort of explaining why I wasn't losing very well. Nothing to do with my secret binges on the side etc, oh no, I was "chosing not to commit".

This time I stopped kidding myself. I decided to see what happened when I committed 100%. And suddenly the weight is dropping off. No more binges, no more half on-half off (which is more tiring than just sticking to it, and less guilt).

Your reasons may be different to mine, but they're worth thinking about.

I like your post as its very honest and i myself do this a lot when in fact i always sabatahe myself then look at excuses as to why x when at the end of the day it would be so much easier and less guilty if i just stuck to it thrn i wouldnt be stressing rvery five minutes anout the bad day i had before lol this has really inspired me to just stop making excuses and get on with it !!!

Thankyou xx hope you all find your way too x

I was going to post something similar to this question because i seem to let my mood affect what i eat. For example i had a real stressfult start to my shift at work tonight and was feeling tired anyway but the more annoyed i got i started reaching for the biscuit tin in the office and before i knew it has gone though 4 chocolate biscuits (18 syns)!!!!!!
I was wondering if anyone had the same issues and how they managed to control it?

I am terrible for self sabotage! I have tried to start losing weight so many times in the last year but I get through a week or so and I think "well it's obviously not working I might as well just enjoy myself and go back to eating junk" and then a few weeks later I will realise I have put on more weight and I think "I wonder where I'd be now if I had carried on losing weight?" It's a vicious circle!

I know I can lose weight because I did it before my wedding and I think the reason I did it was because I had a target. I need another target to focus on but I don't really have anything in particular so for now :(

Good thread!! I self sabotage when ive not planned everything. I also make excuses like.. its a family bbq and its only once a year so that makes it ok. It doesnt make it ok and I feel guilty as hell afterwards. I also do the whole ive messed up a bit for brekkie so I may aswell have a bad day and start again tomorrow. I have no idea why I think like this but atleast we try and I just imagine what id be eating if I wasnt following this SW plan... I resign myself to the fact that its damage limitation most of the time and staying on plan is the bonus for me. I know id be alot bigger if I just gave up completely.

SarahLou84 said:
I am terrible for self sabotage! I have tried to start losing weight so many times in the last year but I get through a week or so and I think "well it's obviously not working I might as well just enjoy myself and go back to eating junk" and then a few weeks later I will realise I have put on more weight and I think "I wonder where I'd be now if I had carried on losing weight?" It's a vicious circle!

I know I can lose weight because I did it before my wedding and I think the reason I did it was because I had a target. I need another target to focus on but I don't really have anything in particular so for now :(

Get yourself a little a holiday booked lol... Id say you have a perfectly good reason for booking it ;-)

Get yourself a little a holiday booked lol... Id say you have a perfectly good reason for booking it ;-)

Well I already live in Dubai so the only holiday's I normally go on are back to England haha! It's like going on holiday backwards :D

You would think that living in Dubai would be enough motivation for me because I am in a bikini a lot, surrounded by beautiful people but apparently no it's not!

Back