Why is it important to drink lots of water?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by ecw199, 17 August 2010 Social URL.

1. ecw199

ecw199 Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm terrible at drinking. I don't know why it's just the way I am. For example I'm sitting here now at 12.55pm and I haven't had a drink yet today.

Everyone says it's important to drink lots of water for weight loss but why is it? I'm going to really try this week to drink lots (by the way how much should I be drinking) but knowing why it will help me lose weight might help me stick too it

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sarah-Jayne

Sarah-Jayne Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I dont think it's important to drink water, just a good amoun tof fluid. Its recommended to drink approximatly 2ltrs of fluid a day to keep you flushed out and keep them kidneys healthy and working.

Mini likes this.
  4. cmcewn

cmcewn Silver Member

Start Weight:
    28st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    25st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9.5lb(9.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It is important to drink enough water because like food if your body isnt getting enough it will hang onto what it has (fat) and the result is water retention. As we all know this can hamper your weight loss. When you are taking enough water your body will let this go knowing that there is a plentiful supply. Also, cut back on salt as this affects water retention too

Drinking a good amount of water helps your body to process the food you are eating more efficiently along with some of the other automatic functions your body has to perform. Water is best because it is pure and your body doesn't have to do anything with it to use it -unlike other fluids you might partake of.

A third reason that I know of is that dehydration can be mistaken for hunger so sometimes when you think you are hungry and you go and eat what is really the problem is that you need water.

So, yes it is important and they say the more the better at least 8 glasses a day for a normal sized person. Larger people need more. So drink! :D

Last edited: 17 August 2010
    biggysmalls and Mini like this.
  5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Its not! Its important to drink FLUIDS, so long as youre having around 2 litres of fluid a day then youre fine it doesnt have to be water it can be made up of anything.

Obviously the advantages of water are you dont feel bloated etc and its better for you then other things but really dont stress about it and certainly dont feel you have to drink loads.

6. ecw199

ecw199 Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks for all the great info and advice. I have got myself a 500ml bottle and I'm going to try to drink 4 bottles of low cal squash or water a day.

I did really mean fluids when I put water, i know it doesn't have to be just water. I've recently given up tea and coffee, so squash seems like the best option :)

7. leelea

leelea Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.6lb(7.68%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi, read this article. It's really good and explains how water is used by your body and why it's important to drink it.
    Hope it helps :)

Drinking Water and Weight Loss

miss bee, Scanbran and biggysmalls like this.
  8. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    That is an interesting article - thank you.

9. ecw199

ecw199 Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks you for posting this excellent article, it has really inspired me to make sure I drink more! :D

10. devotchka

devotchka Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    15st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.18%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    ecw199, when I started Slimming World, I found it really, really difficult to drink 2ltrs of water a day because I simply wasn't used to it. But it is one of those things you get used to. Try to aim for one glass of water an hour, as drinking too much too fast is dangerous (heard this over and over, but I am not entirely sure why, come to think of it). I also found that as I was exercising more, I could easily get through a litre of water an hour. Your body screams out for it. Look to water as a cleanser. Hope you get into the swing of it! x

11. Scanbran

Scanbran Stupid Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(11.11%)
    Diet:
    Exante

Good link, thanks for that! :)

12. leelea

leelea Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st7.0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st5.4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7.0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.6lb(7.68%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    No problem guys, glad you found it useful :)

13. krupskaya

krupskaya Gold Member

Start Weight:
    12st12lb
    Current Weight:
    11st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(12.22%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - green
    Great link - very informative! X

14. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

great article - and interesting to read if you are overweight you should drink MORE water......

I think other diets encourage water as part of their plans - i know on Cambridge you have to drink 8 pints i think per day!!!!!

Water is also essential for exercise to rehydrate you - preventing you from passing out on the treadmill or bike!!! :D

I dont drink enough fluids/water, but i am going to do a little challenge to try to have more next week!!! x

15. cmcewn

cmcewn Silver Member

Start Weight:
    28st4.5lb
    Current Weight:
    25st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9.5lb(9.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Would you like to try a wee water challenge for next week Im trying to drink more too .. anybody up for it?

16. biggysmalls

biggysmalls Too big to fail

Start Weight:
    12st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12.3lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7.3lb(12.25%)
    Diet:
    confused! Ex SW, ex CC, now on FAST 5:2
    Yes, I have tried to drink more since I read that article and I know when I lost weight before it was a major part of the regime I used. I'm up for the challenge! x

17. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

im always up for a challenge :D xxxx

18. ecw199

ecw199 Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm up for the challenge too! I've been trying over the last few days and I've been doing okay. I've got my 500 ml bottle full of low cal squash and It's on my desk so that I can just keep sipping from it. I've had 1 litre so far today :) You do have to wee a lot more though :(

19. pbandchoc

pbandchoc Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.94%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting
    I've found that the more you drink the more you want and you just become used to it. In school we encourage all the children to have water bottles and to drink when they feel thirsty. Since I've started working there I've drunk a lot more than I used to. What has been nice is that I used to suffer from really bad headaches and now I don't, due to keeping my brain "wet", as one child put it.

20. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Have a look at this article
    Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or Google "water intoxication" for information on this.

21. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

I used to drink a lot of water - i think the increased wee action is only in the first week or so, as your body gets used to the increased fluids, after a while it knows that it will reguarly be watered and doesnt send you running to the bathroom every half hour!!! xx:cool:

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.