Why is it..?

Spotty Teapot

Why is it that when you are on a diet people (who know you are on a diet) are insistent on offerring you bad food?

"Go on..one slice of cake won't hurt.." "you've got to enjoy yourself now and again.." etc etc..

If I was a drug addict or an alchoholic would they offer me just one more line of coke/glass of wine/would just the one *not hurt*?

I don't think people understand!

Sooo true.

Some of us are on SW because of the "Go on..one slice of cake won't hurt.." then another, then another!

For me its a case of anything sweet and then i cant stop. so people encouraging me doesnt help.

Thats it exactly! If I COULD stop at just one slice I would not be on a diet now with another 7 plus stone to lose..if it wasn't harmful I would never have reached the size I did reach..so I'm just the same as someone who is addicted to narcotics or alchohol..I can't just have the one, and it isn't ok.

I wonder why people can't see that?

Its because people who aren't overweight don't get the fact for some of us food is an addiction - they generally just assume that we have got overweight through laziness or incompetence.

Maybe its time to start educating people a little bit more? - the next time someone offers you something with the 'one slice won't hurt' comment you should ask them if they would offer a heroin addict a hit based on 'one won't hurt' and explain that its not about the one slice but the whole sodding thing!!

My work are exactly the same.
Jealousy!
They may wanna lose weight but can't be bothered and don't want you to lose.
Just Annoy them and stick to plan.
One piece will hurt if it's everyday!!!!

Definately agree with the last comment! Jealously has a big part to play!!

I do think jealously is the biggest part of this , some people just hate to see someone doing well , and a lot of people like having a 'big ' friend or work mate , as it makes them feel better about themselves .

I have an underactive thyroid and have to be super careful what I eat. Other people just dont get the fact that most people can't consume 10 chocolate bars a day and still stay slim.

I'm not convinced anyone can consume 10 chocolate bars and get away with it long term! I remember one of my mums husbands being very slim and eating whatever he wanted until he hit about 50 and suddenly started expanding!!

Spotty Teapot said:
Why is it that when you are on a diet people (who know you are on a diet) are insistent on offerring you bad food?

"Go on..one slice of cake won't hurt.." "you've got to enjoy yourself now and again.." etc etc..

If I was a drug addict or an alchoholic would they offer me just one more line of coke/glass of wine/would just the one *not hurt*?

I don't think people understand!

I know exactly what you mean,many years ago I lost 4stone on rosemary conely and during my quest my mum would do this to me ,the one occasion springs to mind upon her offering me a pork pie I said I can't I'm on a diet, and her reply was "oh go on it's only a bit of pastry "!!!!!!!!

Now it's a bit of a running joke between me and my daughter when she eats something bad I just say to her oh go on it's only a bit of pastry !!!!! :)

Back