Why rush to lose the weight?

jaylou

Gold Member
Why do we do this? I've just read at least 2 threads about losing weight quickly and there are so many posts about not losing weight fast enough - the phrase "only a pound" crops up a lot on here along with "which plan do I lose quickest on"

I just wonder why we want the weight to fall off in no time at all? Did we put the weight on at a rate of 3-4lb a week? No, I don't think so. At a guess our weight crept on, over the years, at a steady 1lb a week maybe so is it not right that we should expect to lose only a pound a week?

No plan works faster than any other, they all work well, just different for different people and it's about finding out what is right for you.

SW is not a quick fix, the weight doesn't just fall off - it takes time, a long time, but it's a life changing thing.

Just don't rush it, if you follow any plan the weight will come off - slowly and steadily is best.

Enjoy the weight loss journey - it's not easy but it's so worth it in the end.

Great post xxx

I personally am getting married in 7 weeks and would like to lose some quickly before that. After that, I am happy to go down the proper, laid back way to target. Great post though.

Fantastic post Hun and I agree totally. I got on the scales last night and gained 0.5lb...yes, I was upset especially after my efforts at the weekend (climbed Snowdon etc)...however, I have gained muscle and must accept that yes the weight will come off, but I will loose inches first. I measured myself this morning and have lost 12 inches from around my waist alone...I cant complain! If this plan takes a while to reach target then so be it!

xx

Can't rep you jaylou, as I have to spread the love around, but great post, and very true!

i think its sooo easy to get obsessed with the scales and what we see at weigh ins and yes i totally agree that all plans work equally as well as each other but what really matters is how it affects your well being and like with Mrs V that half a pound gain is probably good gain!!

i too have been known in the past as wanting to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible and when it doesnt happen?? its soo demoralising and demotivating!!

i think this time round i am treating slimming world differently! i want to give myself as much time as my body needs and i want to enjoy my weight loss rather than feel like i am "dieting"

good post! I think for me it works to set myself aims to have lost a certain amount by, but overall i've allowed my self a year which I think is easily acheivable for me. I think where I failed in the past was rushing myself. I think I've finally found the right attitude towards weight loss now...

...however I can see why people would want to rush, because now the weights coming off...its all very exciting!! :D :D :D

Agree with everything said here... I know it may yake me a year or maybe 2 to get where I want to be... the point is, it doesnt matter, as long as I keep going, Im getting healthier by the day.

1lb a week would suit me! :eek:)

I think as well, the slower it comes off the easier it will stay off. Quick fix diets such as VLCD's are great but very hard to maintain the losses, as the metabolism gets messed about!

I think losing just over a lb a week is my average, and im happy with it - of course i would love to lose 6lb every week, but realistically this isnt gonna happen!!

another positive will be that you can tone and exercise to reduce excess skin!

great post as always Jaylou xxx

I have had the same problem - I want the weight to be gone tomorrow, and if I don't record 3 or 4 lb losses each week, I'm disgusted with myself.

For me, if I'm honest, it's because I don't want to be restricted to eating on the plan, and the sooner I'm at target the sooner I can stop watching what I'm eating, but your post, and my previous experience tells me that this attitude is exactly what will prevent me losing and keeping the weight off.

Healthy eating has to be for life, not just until we lose a certain number of pounds, and if we treat this as a temporary diet and afterwards revert to our 'normal' eating habits, things will go back to the way they were.

I know. I lost 5st with SW 15 years ago, thought I'd made it, forgot the plan completely and put 8st back on.

I agree that taking it slowly, learning about healthy eating and enjoying the process is the key to success.

I have had the same problem - I want the weight to be gone tomorrow, and if I don't record 3 or 4 lb losses each week, I'm disgusted with myself.

For me, if I'm honest, it's because I don't want to be restricted to eating on the plan, and the sooner I'm at target the sooner I can stop watching what I'm eating, but your post, and my previous experience tells me that this attitude is exactly what will prevent me losing and keeping the weight off.

Healthy eating has to be for life, not just until we lose a certain number of pounds, and if we treat this as a temporary diet and afterwards revert to our 'normal' eating habits, things will go back to the way they were.

I know. I lost 5st with SW 15 years ago, thought I'd made it, forgot the plan completely and put 8st back on.

I agree that taking it slowly, learning about healthy eating and enjoying the process is the key to success.

Absolutely perfect post xx

it's life unfortunately and doesnt just apply to slimming.

we live in a "i want it now culture"

i used to get annoyed if the ready meal I bought took 8 minutes, I wanted it in 3 god damn it!!!

more or less everything nowadays has a "quick fix" which makes us dead to the fact that some things cant be/shouldnt be rushed x

Totally agree with everything that has been said. I think our fascination with programmes like Biggest Loser also gives a false impression of what is possible and can lead to unrealistic expectations.

Good post :)
I think i was expecting more my 1st week, have heard so many stories of people loosing great amounts their 1st week, so i felt a real faliure when i only lost 2lbs.
If i can keep up with a lb a week that'll do me because i don't even feel like i'm on a dam diet. I can still stuff my face if i want.
Got my brain conditioned to like a lb a week:).
Anyway well said, it makes newbies like me think.

Great post, but easier said than done!!!! I have the same attitude as you now that I am at goal, but I know when I was still losing I tended to lose an average of 2.5lb a week, and was gutted when I only lost a lb or less. I had so much to lose, I suppose I needed to feel I was getting somewhere, and making good progress. Also, a good loss keeps you motivated to continue. I think the other reason people get impatient is because they have set themselves a target, and they really want to meet it - whether its realistic or not!!!! These people tend to have a more short term approach to weight loss I find. I think its human nature to be impatient, and perfectly normal, but I agree with you that in the longterm its much better to keep a realistic and laid back approach!!

great post!! vry1 wants it now thats th problem with life things to dont out that easy if it did it wouldnt b half as exciting journey to get there!!x

I think part of the problem is, that once you decide that it is time to start tackling your weight problem, it is easy to get your head into the 'zone' and want it all gone tomorrow.
I know that I have been guilty about this, but after being forced to slow down over the last 6 weeks because of an injury, I've also calmed down and realise that it will take as long as it takes and that to over do things (like restricting food or over-exercising - whoops!) are potentially very counter productive to many areas of my life.

I think this is the first time really when trying to lose weight that I have taken a realistic view of losing 3st over a year which is less than a lb a week. At work people always respond with 'how long did that take?' when a weight loss is discussed as though a stone in 2 weeks is the target.
My sister lost 6 st in about 3 months on lighter life - she stopped at Xmas and is now 2st heavier - it's got to be for the long term for me and a sustainable diet.

Back