Wii or Xbox Kinext fitness games

foreverladyluck

Has anyone tried any of the games for fitness? I've been jumping around on just dance 3 for a while but this week I've moved onto the biggest loser which is super tough but tells you calories burnt.

Hello! I work in the games industry, so naturally I've played a lot of these games! You've actually already played my favourite - The Biggest Loser (Kinect.) I find it has the best variety of workouts, guidance, and fun - even though the menu navigation is awful! The downloadable Pilates pack is great too.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved (2012 - Kinect) is okay, but it doesn't put together any workout packages for you, which can be annoying. It's good if you only have 10 - 15 mins to spare and want sommething quick. Dance Central games (Kinect) can be a surprisingly good workout, and No. 2 has a dedicated workout mode too, which is great. Avoid Wii Fit games (Wii) if you've already got a decent level of fitness, as they won't provide enough of a challenge. I've also just picked up UFC Trainer (Kinect), as it's gotten great reviews - you might have a hard time finding it in the shops though.

Hope this helps!

Cherry_Pie said:
Hello! I work in the games industry, so naturally I've played a lot of these games! You've actually already played my favourite - The Biggest Loser (Kinect.) I find it has the best variety of workouts, guidance, and fun - even though the menu navigation is awful! The downloadable Pilates pack is great too.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved (2012 - Kinect) is okay, but it doesn't put together any workout packages for you, which can be annoying. It's good if you only have 10 - 15 mins to spare and want sommething quick. Dance Central games (Kinect) can be a surprisingly good workout, and No. 2 has a dedicated workout mode too, which is great. Avoid Wii Fit games (Wii) if you've already got a decent level of fitness, as they won't provide enough of a challenge. I've also just picked up UFC Trainer (Kinect), as it's gotten great reviews - you might have a hard time finding it in the shops though.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!! We actually do have UFC trainer hidden somewhere!! Might have to hunt that down! Biggest loser navigation is horriffic!!!

I love my Wii fit, zumba

and biggest loser too. I am yet to buy fitness ones for xbox

Funnily enough I've just done 10 mins step on the wii,the EA sports active more workout one. Ea sports active really does get your fitness levels up,tho the resistance band is rubbish and I upgraded to a blue one. This is the first exercise I've done in a year so I shall be working up gradually as I have an OA hip.

I've actually been having a lot of fun (and burning many calories) by just playing Kinect Sports!
The Minigames add an extra dimension of fun, but the calorific challenges are actually brilliant!

Your fitness (by ubisoft) seems to work quite well, but I do think that some of the exercises can be a little more intense than they claim to be!

Other than that, I've also been getting a great deal of enjoyment out of Fruit Ninja (downloadable from Xbox Live), great little fun game, and trust me, you do much more work than you realise playing it!!!

Cherry_Pie its cool that you work in the games industry, that is my main career goal! What do you do if you don't mind me asking? Slightly off topic but I'm interested nonetheless!

I have been doing a great Wii game called Step to the beat , so far in around 2 weeks I have walked/marched around 40 miles and because it's so addictive I manage 10000 steps easily each day without getting bored. Shame I don't feel well today or I would be on it now instead of being on here lol.

I've heard of that one, sounds fun! I liked the marching thing on Wii Fit Plus too, very good fun!
I've been doing a virtual run on Kinect Yourshape 2012 every day for a few weeks, along with other workouts (Cardio Boxing is FANTASTIC!!!) and really am feeling the benefits!
I've been for longer walks out in the real world, and will eventually start riding a bike and going swimming (when I'm not too self conscious to take my top off in public).

All in all, regardless of all the naysayers, I bloody love my kinect! (And my Wii) brilliant inventions that need more imaginative developers!

I'd definitely recommend EA Sports Active, you can pick the second one up cheap these days since it's a couple of years old, but it's available for all consoles and it actually does get you puffing and sweating!

That's what I find with Kinect Your Shape 2012. The range of workouts is excellent. Including some warm up and cool down ones so you don't destroy yourself either!

There's a new one coming out soon by Nike (Imaginatively titled "Nike+ Kinect Training") looks interesting though, might give it a shot if the reviews are any good!
(More info here for anyone who is interested: Nike+ Kinect Training - Xbox 360 - IGN

I've been using YSFE 2012 for the past few weeks to and considering I'm stuck home at night with my sleeping boys while my OH is at work it's suiting me down to the ground. Really like the cardio boxing too. About to start learning the second routine. Not sure about some of the more dancy based exercises but maybe I'm just not co-ordinated enough.

Also considering getting the first edition as the Your Shape Center app seems to suggest there's a lot of exercises on there that there isn't an equivalent for on 2012.

Forgot to say my OH is a tad excited about the Nike+ Kinect training coming out, even though YSFE gets him out of breath (and he's the annoying skinny bloke who can eat a packet of biscuits at a time without a second thought).

Last edited:
Forgot to say my OH is a tad excited about the Nike+ Kine training coming out, even though YSFE gets him out of breath (and he's the annoying skinny bloke who can eat a packet of biscuits at a time without a second thought).

Haha yes I know the annoying type you are talking of :) lucky him!!!

There isn't much that I can think of on the first YourShape that is missing on the 2012 edition. I've played the original too, and as far as I've seen so far everything on the 2012 edition is an improvement on the older version!

I'm doing the full on 12-15 minute cardio boxing ones now, they are brilliant. I've moved onto the second lot of classes where you have to do "skipping" intermissions rather than the squat dodge things.

I know what you mean about the dancing ones, I've played the first two classes of the Hip-Hop exercises and they are pretty difficult. It took me at least 5 attempts before I was able to nail most of the moves in each but it is great fun (and great exercise) once you learn the routines!

I've also been playing Deepak Chopra's Leela, not really much of a workout game, but amazing for relaxation. After half an hour on that (post exercise) I felt so zen that even the stacks of work I need to do couldn't get me down!!!

And enjoying kicking some ass on Kinect Sports Season 2 tennis online. I just wish that they would add an option to play a full game of tennis, as oppose to "first to two games" wins. Meh, you can't have everything I guess!!!

I walk with a friend a couple of times a week. It's not a fast pace, but we walk for a couple of hours, sometimes up to four. It really helps with my weight loss and it's nice to get out and about when the weather is good.

I also love my wii fit. I've never tried the Rythmn Parade marching since the first week or two when I tried everything. I keep going back to old favourites like cycling and jogging but I enjoy most of the exercises. I'm hopeless at the one where you have to flap your wings like a bird and land. I also have wii sports, the biggest loser and a couple of dance ones but rarely use those. I hated the navigation in the biggest loser and gave up on using it. I am hopelessly unco-ordinated on the dancing and do get pretty puffed out after a few songs.

I have been thinking about getting sports resort. Any recommendations? Also, I am both heavy and middle aged now but otherwise in good health. I don't think I would be up to really strenuous exercises on my wii yet.

Last edited:
On another note, the discount site Wowcher has neoprene exercise pants on special offer for £7.99 plus P&P (normally £44). Offer expires at midnight tonight. Has anyone tried them? I think they just make you sweat a bit more, but I thought they may help sculpt and help prevent sagging of all my wobbly bits if I wore them when exercising on the wii fit. Although I am not at the stage where I have excess skin, if I reach target I am sure I will, so I want to prevent it as much as possible. Any ideas?

I remember I had a go at Zumba. Chose the 20 min to start. Wasn't that supple on the hip movements being male but couldn't believe after 20 min I was absolutely drenched with sweat. Also the boxing on wii sport from what I remember was pretty good if you stick with it.

I did like the running on wiifit around the island etc.. It's a shame no one has come up with that idea but using google street view

Shaun

I've only ever used EA Sports Active 1 and 2 for the Wii as I don't have the xbox 360 kinect ( just the xbox 360 :p ) - I thoroughly recommend them, they definitely work if you stick to it :)

I remember I had a go at Zumba. Chose the 20 min to start. Wasn't that supple on the hip movements being male but couldn't believe after 20 min I was absolutely drenched with sweat. Also the boxing on wii sport from what I remember was pretty good if you stick with it.

I did like the running on wiifit around the island etc.. It's a shame no one has come up with that idea but using google street view

Shaun

I'm hopeless at the boxing but I do it now and again. I just seem to be a bit slow on it. I might have a go at Zumba. I adore running around the island and always try and beat my previous times. I cleared all the areas with the cycling too, and have managed to get all the balloons, but it's really hard to get them in one go. I usually try and start behind the castle to give me the best chance.

Being able to run or cycle around to google earth would be fantastic. Or deep sea diving or swimming around reefs and wrecks.

Back