Will I be saggy?

Debsie_websie

Loads to lose!
Hello everyone. I was wondering whether I can have your thoughts on (ahem) saggy flesh. I have a total of 11 stone to lose and have lost 4 so far... With me having such a lot to lose and bearing in mind I have aaaaalways been big, I was wondering whether anyone in a similar situation but who has lost the weight has had a saggy flesh problem?
I know it's a bit yucky but it's been on my mind for a long time but have been too embarrassed to ask!
I've seen Embarrassing Bodies where people have had loose flesh removed when they've lost loads of weight and am wondering whether that situation is the norm.

Would love your thoughts...

Websie xx

We'd need a crystal ball to answer your question I'm afraid. It's a very individual thing and depends on your age, genetics, skin elasticity, how much you lose, how fast you lose it, whether you exercise and so on.

You have to remember that those programme you see on the telly are the extremes - because it wouldn't make for entertaining (?) TV otherwise. Isn't it better to be healthy with a bit of loose skin than dangerously overweight?

Oh yes, absolutely, I'm happy to have saggy skin if it means no flab! I should have said that in the first place.
I understand that a lot depends on individual circumstances, and that the programmes are extremes, but I was just wondering what people's real experiences are, and whether there's anything I can do help myself... e.g. does exercise help tone up saggy skin or just flab?
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks x

Usually the saggy skin occurs on those people who lose weight very quickly like on diets like Cambridge etc if you lose weight at a sensible pace your skin has chance to spring back.

Hi well done you for your losses so far, I have found saggy skin a bit of a problem on the boobage area and the tummy, which takes a while to get used to, but I am starting to accept it now as a symbol of how hard I worked
To get rid of the weight and the thought that all that skin was full of fat helps me to stay motivated, I have found using loads of moisturiser is helping to, also I have been reading up in exercise to help this and have started doing some weights as apparently if you build the muscle behind the saggy skin it kinds of pads it out a bit if you know what I mean, not sure if this is true yet as I have just started but I will keep you posted

Exercise would help your body tone up and would definitely help with weight loss in getting rid of the excess flab. :character00116:

A woman in my SW group has lost over 9 stone to date and she seems to be ok. She does do quite a bit of exercise though so I'm sure it's got to have some benefits. :)

I would rather have saggy skin that loads of fat to lose!! At least you can tuck it in your knickers and no one knows it is there but you. Try everything to not get it, exercise will be key and and of course if your genetics predisposes you to saggy skin dont let it stop you on your journey, you could always get it removed. x

Hi hun, I had a gastric bypass in feb 07 weighing 32st the operation went wrong and left me very very ill for years. I have a realy bad apron on my tummy & I hate it, I was so ill I couldnt walk let alone excersice and the loss was megga fast.

I guess what im trying to say is that you are loosing at a steady pace and as someone already said, if loosing steady your skin has a chance to spring back and also excersice can help.

P.S..congratulations on your fantastic weight loss so far, your an insperation xxx

Sorry for crashing in on the SW section!

You also have to remember that if you do have excess skin it can shrink/reduce over a year or so. You have to give it time.

I have about the same as you to lose and have started using Jergens naturals skin firming lotion as I heard great things about it here in minis.

If you look in the success stories section there are a few threads by member 'pink punkstar' (or something like that) and she has lost 17 stone.
In one of her threads she has posted a semi nude pic before her tummy tuck so you can see her loose skin and it doesn't look bad at all.
Check those out and you'll see that even if you get excess skin it probably wont be too bad.

Oh thanks, I'm gonna have a look at those pics.
Oh, and by the way Fairy, I've never been called an inspiration before - does that count as a nsv??! #tearsineyes

X

Yes Debsie it does, most definatly a NSV

I'm glad you posted about this, as it is something I am dreading lol. I seem to have broken my tummy wall, and my arms are just horrible even now.
It is so true though, it is weight lost, which in turn makes us happier & healthy, but I know for me, my skin seems to have givin in lol, so I'll never have a swimming costume body haha

Very well done with your 4 stone loss!! :) hope you don't have much problem with loose skin, but I do think, as someone said already, that exercising does help a bit xx

I've lost 9 stones so far with another 3.5 to go, I'm 43 this year and have always been large. It's taken me 3.5 years to lose this weight and I've been sporadic with exercise to be honest! I do however go to Zumba three times a week n have done for the last 18mths.
Not to freak you out (we're all different don't forget) but I DO have some loose skin, my under arms are very flabby, i have a little on my tummy and even some under my chin (where my chinS were lol) my legs however are pretty flab free! My boobs is where I've lost the most so far (going from a 48g to a 38c) and they're quite droopy though I guess they would be anyway at my age!
Like I said I don't want to freak you out but if i'm being honest there's a possibility u may end up with some loose skin. Having said that I don't look at my flabby bits and hate myself, I just think meh...who's going to see me apart from hubby who luckily enough adores me whatever I look like?! And there's always support wear! You might be lucky though and not end up with any at all.
Good luck!

Thanks for your insight Scandude! I'm wii fitting a couple of times a week, Zumba DVD-ing, cycling etc... And this evening, for the first time in years I moisturised my tummy and my bingo wings. I've never seen the point before!
I'm ready to see some skin but as others have said its much more important to get thin. Wish me luck, wanna get to where you are!!

Yeah the moisturising sounds interesting might give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? :) Hope you get to where u want to be, losing this much has changed my life and I hope it'll change yours too. X

Back