Work lunch - help please!?

smidge87

Rubenesque
Hey guys, I really need some advice! Following TS but my boss is leaving work so I really can't avoid his leaving lunch this week.. Eek he's chosen a Chinese restaurant, what on earth can I eat here that will keep me in ketosis?? Help!!

I was thinking of asking for a main portion of chicken satay skewers (as its usually a starter) and a side salad, but I'm not 100% sure what is on satay.. Wold that be a good idea?

Hey,

just had a look at a satay sauce recipe and it tends to use peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, onion and coconut milk.

Can you ring ahead to the restaurant and say you're on a special no/low carb diet and see if they can provide something for you as an alternative? To me it's like saying you're gluten free, as long as they know in advance they should be able to do something for you.

I'm not sure if you can have the ingredients in there or not!!! Good luck regardless!! :)

Thank you for coming back! I couldn't believe how many people read the post but didn't offer any advice :( I had to order yesterday so I went for the satay but I wasn't planning on eating the sauce as it comes separate, so hopefully I'll be safe!! :)

Hi Smidge. The problem with Chinese restaurant food is that even the non-starchy dishes are full of fat and sugar. Over the past couple of hours, I have been reading one of the books in a series on "The New High Protein Diet" by Dr Charles Clark and Maureen Clark, which is essentially a moderate-ish low-carb sort of a diet. This particular book in the series focusses on fast food, both bought and home-made, and when I got to the section on Chinese restaurants, I remembered your post. But now I see that you have had to order already, so I'm too late. Sorry.

Anyhow, in case it's of any help, the book suggests choosing from quite a few dishes that I have never seen on a Chinese restaurant menu! Lobster with stir-fried vegetables, apparently, or drunken chicken, shark fin soup, or stuffed crab claws. More likely suggestions include crispy duck (minus the pancakes, I presume), lettuce wrap, steamed fish with vegetables, beef in oyster sauce, stir-fried vegetables and curry chicken.

It's not listed in the book, but I suppose hot-and-sour soup might be an option, if you are having starters.

You're welcome!!! Bummer we were too late!!! Sounds like you did the best you could do and that's all that matters!!!!

I hope you enjoyed the lunch regardless!!!

There was some sort of fish lettuce wrap on the menu but I can't remember what put me off that.. Thanks for the useful hints though, it's our local work restaurant so we go there go most occasions and I'm sure something else will come up before I've finished my journey!! I'll let you guys know how I get on, I'll be busting out the ketostix Friday for sure!! :ashamed000:

Work lunch - done! Dinner came out as 4 small skewers of chicken, and it tasted marinated and I think fried (I was expecting grilled) but the sauce was on the side so all I ended up eating was chicken and a couple of bits of cucumber. Felt a bit hungry after so had my normal lunch shake and finished the day off with a bar. I'm feeling okay, pretty sure I'm still in ketosis as I'm not feeling bloated and starving :)

Woohoo!! Well done!!!! Sounds like you found a good solution :)

Back