Worried about ketosis

lollygirl

Banned
Im on my third week of cambridge but have just seen thin on the web, Im worried now that Im gonna damage my liver and kidneys. Anyone else seen this, think Im gonna stop cambridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taken from the Cambridge website:

"What is ketosis and is it harmful?
Ketosis is another name for the ‘fat burning’ process. Once the body has used up its stored carbohydrate, it then switches to using its other energy store – unwanted fat. A ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrate. The body’s stored fat is broken down into little fatty acid molecules called ketones and these circulate taking energy to all the tissues in the body. The Cambridge Diet has been carefully researched and formulated so that when used as ‘Sole Source’ it has just enough carbohydrate for immediate energy and none left over for storage; this induces a mild ketosis. The smallest intake of additional carbohydrate can upset this fragile balance and cause carbohydrate to be restored along with attendant water, causing a plateau or even weight gain! The mild ketosis is an intrinsic part of the design of the ‘Sole Source’ programme because it has significant benefits – it is the key to comfort for the dieter:
  • It reduces the feeling of hunger – removing the temptation to err!
  • It induces a sense of well-being with good energy levels
Far from being harmful, ketosis is an important safety factor – the body gets all the energy it needs from the breakdown of its fat stores, thus protecting muscle tissue and vital organs."

You should have received a pink/blue Sole Source booklet from your CDC which will give you all this information, and reassure you that the ketosis you go into using CD is safe, and has been tried and tested over a number of years.

If you have any further concerns, please do contact your CDC.

HTHs
DQ

I am on Week 19 and am in perfect health.

Due to medications that I take for arthritis I have a blood test every four weeks - my 22 blood tests including liver and kidney function.

My blood tests have remained perfect throughout.

You have nothing to worry about.

santa-sleigh.gif

but the link i posted was on the nhs direct website. it saysKetosisDefinitionKetosis is a process in which your body converts fats into energy. During the conversion, ketones are produced as a by-product. Ketones can give your breath a sweet, fruity smell that may be mistaken for alcohol.Your body normally uses glucose to meet its energy needs. Glucose comes from the carbohydrate in your diet. A healthy, balanced diet should provide you with all the glucose your body needs, so that ketosis does not take place. However, if your body does not have enough glucose, perhaps because your diet is very low in carbohydrates or you are starving yourself, it will begin ketosis to obtain energy from its stored fats instead. As a result of this, the ketone levels in your blood will rise. Prolonged severe ketosis can be dangerous as it can change the acidity of your blood, which may eventually lead to serious damage to your liver and kidneys.Recently, diets that recommend you eat lots of protein and very little carbohydrate have become popular. These high protein-low carbohydrate diets - known as ketogenic diets - are intended to work by forcing your body to begin ketosis to burn fats and create quick weight loss. Because long periods of ketosis can be dangerous to your kidneys and liver, ketogenic diets are never recommended by health professionals for more than short-term use, typically no longer than 14 days. Many nutritionists warn their patients - especially women in the early stages of pregnancy - against following them at all.Has anyone had any adverse effects, I know what it says on the cambridge web pages, obviously its all so confusing. Anyone had any adverse effects??

Hi Lollygirl, I think the part you are not seeing is that Cambridge induces mild ketosis, has been extensively researched, and is therefore considered safe. Obviously if you are concerned then you need to consider whether it's the right plan for you - there are higher calories programmes on CD that you can follow that do not induce ketosis, from 1000 calories upwards. I would suggest that you speak to your CDC.

ok DQ. Ive just been looking at the lightr light forums and there is this thread that has me reaching for the yoghurts in my frigde all 12 of my babies yoplait ones the fromage frais..... im so depressed I will always be 23stone.....

I think you really need to speak to your CDC about your concerns. Obviously we on Minimins can only give you our own personal experiences, and if you are really doubting the programme that you are following that much then it would be best to have to have a sit-down chat with your CDC because she knows your history/background and can help you best.

You have already reached week 3 which is a great achievement, but if this is going to prey on your mind then you need to think it through carefully and make the best decision for you.

lolly, the ketosis in cd is mild dietary not severe ketosis
i assume if ur 23 stone ( same as i was when i started out ) then your doctor would have signed a medical form, they wouldnt have if they believed you were some how going to damage your health
cambridge has been fully reserched and has decades of use in many countrys

as for the yougurts, move on and back to ss, put it behind you

always take what you read with a pinch of salt as some people post information thats out of date and has been proven wrong

if you are in doubt about anything contact your cdc who has done the diet themselves and who can get info from head office if needs be

good luck hun

good for you lolly! see ur stronger than you give urself credit for

Im on my third week of cambridge but have just seen thin on the web, Im worried now that Im gonna damage my liver and kidneys. Anyone else seen this, think Im gonna stop cambridge.

That is a shame that your link has been removed. I don't quite see how the number of posts someone has had, in order to post a link, is important if someone has information that could be useful to others?? I have wondered as I am sure others have about health implications and that woudl have been informative. I am interested in the pros AND cons in this, as it is such a drastic measure. I want to see BOTH sides of the coin so I am making a well informed decision.

Well done Lolly you,ve still got your sense of humour. It's easy to lose on a down day, which is all this is.

I think everyone has answered your original question and I agree with what they've said. It's so easy to hear all the negative stuff and let it worry you but by now you must be having fabulous WI results and as has already been said your GP wouldn't have let you start CD if it wasn't going to be good for you.

Try reading back through some of the old threads. This worry, and many others, have been chatted about before. I'm sure you'll find it helpful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

That is a shame that your link has been removed. I don't quite see how the number of posts someone has had, in order to post a link, is important if someone has information that could be useful to others?? I have wondered as I am sure others have about health implications and that woudl have been informative. I am interested in the pros AND cons in this, as it is such a drastic measure. I want to see BOTH sides of the coin so I am making a well informed decision.

This is the link that was removed:

Ketosis - What is it? - Definition

Another interesting read is here
LighterLife

Especially the part 'Do GPs support LighterLife?'

Another thing worth noting, is that many hospitals put children on ketogenic diets for months as it can really reduce the severity of epileptic attacks:cool:

blonde logic the number of posts required is to try to minimise the site being taken over by people who just want to send spam advertisments, etc and to post sales items on here. I am glad that the restriction is in place (and it is common on many web forums).

The information is now posted here anyway, so it isn't to do with restricting information.

Hi Dancing....sorry if that sounded like a moan - I didn't mean it too if it did. (Can't always tell on these forums) :) I know they have to contend with spam, etc. and in no way meant the forum would "restrict" info, I was referring to restricint abilities to post links, etc. I probably worded it badly. :eek:

This is the largest and busiest forum I have joined - but have been on many and its the first I have known to carry that rule - however yes, it does make sense with this much volume!! I hadn't really thought of that.

I guess I am just desperate for info - like a sponge - and happy to find it whever and wherever I can. :eek::D

D Q - thanks for posting a link. :)

And thank you too:) Lolly.

Back