Worried about sons fluid intake

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My son is 3, he drinks at least a litre & a half of squash & 3 bottles of milk a day. Is this too much?

He could drink a glass a squash then 10mins later ask for another saying he is thirsty, I don't know if this is a habit or what.

Any advice would be great.

Hi Big Bear, my son just turned 4 and from about 3 he would drank a large amount of water/milk too. It might be worthwhile having his sugars checked though.

FreeBee said:
Hi Big Bear, my son just turned 4 and from about 3 he would drank a large amount of water/milk too. It might be worthwhile having his sugars checked though.

Thanks hun x

Shirleen said:
Try giving him water it could be the sweetness of the squash?

Thanks hun, obviously its no added sugar squash but will try water xx

A few questions (no answers, sorry!). Should a small child be consuming so much artificial sweetener? What colourings and other additives are there in the squash? Is he getting enough to eat (very active small children consume a lot of energy)? Have to spoken to your doctor/practice nurse/health visitor about this - excess thirst may be a symptom of something else? Is he genuinely thirsty - if so, water will do - if not it might be just a habit.

A few questions (no answers, sorry!). Should a small child be consuming so much artificial sweetener? What colourings and other additives are there in the squash? Is he getting enough to eat (very active small children consume a lot of energy)? Have to spoken to your doctor/practice nurse/health visitor about this - excess thirst may be a symptom of something else? Is he genuinely thirsty - if so, water will do - if not it might be just a habit.

I was thinking the same myself Anna he should be drinking water only. Yes he eats 3 proper meals a day, lots of fruit/veg. He generally has a cereal i.e. weetabix/eggs/beans on toast for brekkie. He has various things for lunch, never processed stuff & for dinner he has things like spag bol, chicken & veg etc. He has snacks as well which are things like bananas, yoghurts & occasionally crisps/biscuit etc

I've not spoken to my Dr etc but will do. Thanks

Well there is certainly nothing wrong with his eating! It's really nice to hear about a child with a healthy appetite and happy to eat so many different things, especially vegetables. A five-year old I know will only eat certain things - about five things, and they have to be the same brand that she is used to or she won't eat them - and it is a nightmare when she comes to stay. She has to have everything done separately. But her brother who is a year or so younger will eat anything and everything that the rest of us are eating.
Your son might not be happy with water if he is used to squash, but why not gradually reduce the amount of squash you are putting in the glass until there is barely a splash, and he might not notice.

is he peeing a lot too?
a simple urine test at the Gp would tell a lot, how long has he been drinking a lot for? xx

kerryathome said:
is he peeing a lot too?
a simple urine test at the Gp would tell a lot, how long has he been drinking a lot for? xx

Hi Kerry, only noticed the last few weeks but has got me a tad worried, he can literally drink a beaker then 10 mins later say Mum I'm thirsty.

big bear said:
Hi Kerry, only noticed the last few weeks but has got me a tad worried, he can literally drink a beaker then 10 mins later say Mum I'm thirsty.

Could be his way of getting attention from you. ?
Try smaller beakers or only half fill them? See if he then asks more frequently.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

ColJack said:
Could be his way of getting attention from you. ?
Try smaller beakers or only half fill them? See if he then asks more frequently.

Could be, I'll try that thanks x

Also, might be the brand of squash.
Some squash leaves me just as / nearly as thirsty after drinking it.

Try something isotonic ( ie something like lucozade sports etc. ) instead.

Hi, try to wean him off squash until he rarely has any. Its really not good for his teeth or health even if its sugar free stuff.
Really only a doctor can diagnose but probably will want to look out for diabetes.

There is 6 weeks between mine and my friends little boy and he is always drinking, fast as he has fin his cup he is ready for more! My little one hardly drinks anything.

I don't think either way is bad, but def knock the juice down. Just let him have it with meals and water between may find he doesnt drink as much x

I agree with all the above, the reason diabetics are thirsty all the time is because they're weeing a lot to pee out the excess glucose,
is he well otherwise? not losing weight? x

Yes he's well, no not losing weight. I've cut down the squash I add & he's not drinking as much so I'm thinking its habit! But he's getting his injections next week at Drs so I'll just double check. Thank you.

Back