Would this help maintain metabolism?

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by PurpleButterfly, 9 May 2009 Social URL.

1. PurpleButterfly

PurpleButterfly 16lb to go!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(14.6%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting plain and simple :)
    Ok last week or so I find I've been falling into a pattern. Some days I don't feel like eating much at all and I can be well under my calories for that day. Others I want more calories and so because I have that deficit I allow myself a few extra of things like nuts etc. - I've read that as long as you're overall 7000calories deficit per week it's ok to do that.

It suddenly occurred to me: will this help balance the effect of metabolism slowing because it gets used to a set amount of calories per day??

Last edited: 9 May 2009
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Alicia

Alicia Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Diet:
    Counting Calories - 1500 a day, OK I know this is going to take years but that's fine.
    I'd have thought there'd be trouble getting your digestive system into a routine if your calorie intake wavers by a large amount day by day. And routine seems an important part of apetite control - I didn't used to have breakfast, wasn't even hungry in the morning, until I started having breakfast and now I need to eat first thing.

As a long term strategy it's probably better to develop a habit of eating the same amouts per day, and even at each time of day. The digestive juices get flowing in expectation of what's "regular".

4. Lostris

Lostris Serena's title didn't fit

Start Weight:
    111kg
    Current Weight:
    100.3kg
    Goal Weight:
    75kg
    Lost(%):
    10.7kg(9.64%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I've read that as long as you're overall 7000calories deficit per week it's ok to do that. ?

I hope this includes exersize and all coz otherwise that means if you need 1800 to maintain you should eat 800 a day... Just a bit confused about this part.

I've heard it's good to eat e.g. 1000 one day, 1500 the next, 1200 the next etc to keep it all working but not sure if it's true.

x

5. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yeah, calorie cycling works, though probably not a great amount of difference in it.

I think if you are doing it naturally, then just keep doing it, though probably best not to have more than a couple of low days.

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Yeah, strictly speaking you shouldn't aim for a 7,000 cal deficit unless you have plenty to lose ie your maintenance cals are much higher.

7. PurpleButterfly

PurpleButterfly 16lb to go!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(14.6%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting plain and simple :)
    7000cals is about 2lb though isn't it?

8. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Yes, but it's generally considered that 2lbs is too much when you get closer to goal. More lean mass lost compared to fat. Calorie counting websites such as WLR, will adjust calorie allowance, so that you can't actually lose 2lbs a week at that stage, to prevent this happening.

Hard I know, but that's the general advise and not just from WLR

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.