Wow - fab doner kebab recipe, tastes like the real thing!!!

I got the recipe on here recently & made it last night for the first time, wow, I kid you not it tastes sooooooooo like the real thing!!!

We had it in a pitta (HEb) & with loads of salad & made a low syn garlic mayo dip, ohhhhhhhh I can now enjoy a fake-away kebab at the weekends - lush!!!

Here's the recipe (BTW I used extra lean beef mince rather than lamb!)

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

my partner prob wont eat this as he dont like the real version i love it tho......how long do u think it would keep? thanks

my partner prob wont eat this as he dont like the real version i love it tho......how long do u think it would keep? thanks

In my house it lasted about 1/2 hour !!! lol

haha - I don't know, its a cooked meat so I guess if you keep it in an air tight container in the fridge, 2 days or so??

Ooh, this sounds great! Will def try it this week! Cheers xxx

This sounds yummy - please come back with verdicts!

i tried this the other night n it was fab, i had it with a pitta n salad n sw chipps, it was gorgeous xxx
tip: mix ur meat n herbs in the morning n let it settle in fridge until u need to cook it x

Glad you liked it :D

Personally I couldn't believe how nice it actually was, I was expecting it to be ok when I was making it, but then smelt it whilst cooking & thought, YUMMY!! haha

I will be making this one night again soon x

omg im gno make this tomorrow - looks absolutely lushhhh

I don't like the real thing, but had this last weekend with pitta and salad and thoroughly enjoyed it.

yeh i know i just seen the flour too

could you make it without the flour in? sounds yummy.

This recipe is great! We had it with salad. Thanks for posting it.

I made this for my family, hubby (who is kebab freak), son, dad, brother and two young neices over Christmas. It went down extremely well and I got lots of brownie points!

I blended the meat in a food processor to get a smoother consistancy and put in pittas with lots of finely slices white cabbage and salad, ABSOLUTELY LUSH!

I'll defiantly be making this. Sounds gorgeous with lots of lovely salad! Good goin girls! X

Mmmm this sounds lovely especially for my 15 year old son who LOVES LOVES LOVES kebab. I will make it tomorrow night as a treat and he will be none to wiser I will make it with SW chips and salad
x

Back