Xanthan gum

ladyfelsham

Back to SW again
Hi all

I tried xanthan gum tonight to see if I could make no carb gravy with beef stock and xanthan gum - and the result?

Disaster.

I tried it hot. I tried it cold. In both cases the gum powder just sat in clumps on top of the stock and wouldn't blend in at all.

As you all know, I'm no genius in the kitchen :eek: so may well be doing something wrong - but anyway I found some reduced gravy granules (3.3 carbs per 100g) which was lovely jubbly poured over roast lamb.

Susie

ooh where you get that gravy from?
and thanks i was going to buy some gum wont now!

I have some but I haven't used it yet. I wonder if you mixed it to a paste with the stock or water first then added the rest of the stock if that would work Susie?

And yes, can you name that gravy please?

Pah! Tesco won't let me see!!!!!

I have some but I haven't used it yet. I wonder if you mixed it to a paste with the stock or water first then added the rest of the stock if that would work Susie?

And yes, can you name that gravy please?

That's how I do it, and after boiling not before, don't let it boil after that. You need to treat it like corn starch.

It's been a while since I've used the gum. but think I just sprinkled a tiny bit into the stock. Jim's right it's similar to cornstarch.

Mine always clumps but if you keep cooking it the clumps go away (stir it too).

If you find you have mamba clots the strain.

PS you only need a little gum to thicken.

I think it's to be used like cornflour where you mix a small amount with water, and then add

Back