xj-esx low calorie dishes (with pictures)

xj-esx

Silver Member
I love to cook lower calorie alternatives or try out new recipes that are healthy and I usually end up taking a quick snap of them on my phone, I'd like to share the recipes and photos of the dishes with you all :)

Heres the first! Breakfast:

Okay so this isn't really a 'recipe' of the sorts, however its something that is incredibly easy to make yet filling and low in calories. As such I thought I'd share :) I always see really yummy breakfasts that have granola or muesli with yoghurt that I would love to make and try however these are often quite high in calories I find. Because of this I decided to try and make my own alternative that is healthier.

Using a low calorie breakfast bar like Special K I break it into little bits to mimic granola or the texture anyway, plus with all the options of breakfast bars that have different flavours you can change it up once in a while simply by changing the breakfast bar. I then either add in some raspberries, strawberries or a peach cut into smaller chunks with the Onken natural yoghurt (fat free version) as this is only around 77 calories per serving. The breakfast is around 188 calories overall (with some fruit included)

Voila!

IMG_4124.JPG

Last edited:
Greek Salad Omelette

Today I adapted a greek salad omelette recipe I found on goodfood.com. I ditched the olives (because I don't like them) and used 1 whole egg and 1 egg white rather than two whole eggs to try and lower the calories. I think next time I would just use two egg whites.

Ingredients;
1 large egg - 115 calories

1 egg white - MFP says 17 calories?
30g of feta cheese - 82 calories
40g of bacon (fat removed) - 40 calories
small amount of red onions, tomatoes chopped up and peas - around 40-50 calories

Dressing;
Although the recipe doesn't need a dressing (something I found out after eating it) I did drop in a few drops of Jif lemon juice into the omelette and I had some tomato chutney on the side however I didn't use the chutney in the end as it tasted better without.

Overall the dish is around 280-300 calories give or take depending on how much veg and fry light you use.

Time to Prep and Cook;
Prep; 5 Minutes
Cooking; 10 Minutes

Cooking;
Its simple to make, fry the onions first then the tomatoes and peas. Once they are browning nicely you add in the whisked eggs into the same pan, stir around until its nearly cooked and then put under the grill (again in the same pan) to brown off for around 5 minutes. Scatter the feta and bacon before you put into the pan.

IMG_4132.JPG

Last edited:
Anymore recipes, xj-esx?! :) Shall be watching with interest... Always like to get ideas from other people :) Thanks...

Ham, Pea and Mint Potato Salad

I have been making potato, ham, pea and mint salad for a while and thought it may be something others would like to try as its so simple, filling and low in calories.

Ingredients;
2 ham slices - 38 calories
Garden peas - 14 calories for 20g
Light Mayonnaise with lemon juice - 47 calories per 30g
Baby new potatoes - 67 calories for 100g
Mint leafs or mint sauce whichever you'd prefer :)

Time To Prep and Cook;
5 Minutes to Prep
5 Minutes to cook

Cooking;
All you need to do is boil the potatoes, cut the ham into slices, mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and mint sauce or mint leafs and then add it all together with the salad ham and peas. It sounds pretty basic but its really really tasty! Its 166 calories without the mint leafs/mint sauce (depends on how much you'd like to put in) and obviously the salad which is only about 18 calories for a large one, so the bag says.

ruz2a1.jpg

Last edited:
Philly chive and potato frittata

Ingredients;
Egg - 105 calories for 1.5
Petits Pois - 23 calories for 40g
Spring Onions - 3 calories for 12.5g
White Cooking Onion - 18 calories for half of one
Vivaldi White Potatoes (Salad potatoes) - 86 calories for 112.5g (around 2 and a half potatoes)
Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese with Chive - 56 calories for 35g
Red Bell Pepper - 31 calories for 100g (half a pepper)
Overall Calorie Content - 322 calories

Time To Prep and Cook;
10 minutes prep
15 minutes to cook

Cooking;
Dice and boil the potatoes for around 10 minutes, once the potatoes have softened fry the onions, spring onions and red pepper with the potatoes for around four minutes using fry light. Add in the peas for a further two minutes then add in the lightly beaten eggs. Mix the eggs around slightly with the veg but let the base set. Once there is a brown base, dot the philly across the top in equal amounts and place the pan under the grill to brown until golden.

Salad;
I usually have omelette or frittata with a side salad to make it more like a meal. I tried this with some strawberries (first time I have had salad and strawberries together) and although the salad and fruit went really well together, I wouldn't recommend having the fruit with the frittata, the combination didn't really work for me. I think I'd have it next time with a little balsamic vinegar instead.

500a.jpg500.jpg

Poached egg and bacon medallions on a bed of salad and toasted bread. Topped with cream cheese, caramelised onions and tomberries.
- Served with balsamic vinegar dressing

Ingredients;
Smoked bacon with all fat and tail removed - 66 cals for two rashes
Medium sized poached egg - 70 calories
Philadelphia light - 47 calories for 30g
Seeded brown bread - 86 calories for 1 slice
White onion and tomberries - 15 calories for 42.5 g
Total Calories - 284

Time to cook and prep;
5 minutes to prep
6-7 minutes to cook

Cooking;
Remove all fat from the bacon so that you are left with bacon medallions (or buy ready done bacon medallion rashes) once complete place under the grill until cooked. Whilst the bacon is cooking, cut onions to preferred size and fry using fry light with the tomatoes. I used tomberries as they are small and sweet however any tomatoes will do. Once the onions and tomatoes are nearly cooked drop in a dash of balsamic vinegar and leave on a low heat to remain warm. Then comes the poached egg part. - Boil water in a pan and add in some white vinegar (optional), drop in the cracked egg slowly into the pan and leave to cook for around two minutes. Whilst the egg is poaching prepare the toast with the cream cheese. Place toast on top of a bed of salad and finally put the bacon, tomatoes and onions and poached egg over the toast and salad. I drizzle some extra balsamic vinegar over the whole dish to make it extra tasty.

If you want to lower the calories even more the cream cheese can be removed from the ingredients, it makes the dish taste really good but I am sure it wouldn't be missed that much if not used :)

IMG_4221.jpg

Last edited:
Back