Yo yo dieting

Joanna88

Banned
Hi All

I've lost the same four or five stone about three times now. I can't believe I let myself go through it again and again. I'm feeling quite good about it this time as I know I've got to change for good this time and ditch the quick fix. Although I've not yet fully got the diet under control I am exercising about 5 times a week and getting out of breath.:)

Anybody got any tips to share to conquer this?

Joanna88

Anybody got any tips to share to conquer this?

Joanna88

Don't diet :D

Yeah, that sounds weird, but IMO it's the only way to sort it. Of course, you might need to diet to get to goal, but then you have to step off the diet treadmill, and eat what you need daily, no more, no less.

Yo yo

Wow KD 8 stone loss that's phenomenal and even better for maintaining:). I agree with you about the diet treadmill. When I'm on a diet I'm normally pretty good and the weight shifts but the minute I'm "off" the diet it's like a switch flips in my head and says "Eat anything and do it quickly before the next diet" and so it goes on.

But I'm on to it now and I will try to step off the treadmill but it's that temptation thing I need to take control of.

Thanks for replying.

the minute I'm "off" the diet it's like a switch flips in my head and says "Eat anything and do it quickly before the next diet" and so it goes on. .

That's the problem isn't it. Been there, done that. The great thing about not dieting is that food can wait. No need to get it all in before the next diet starts :D

I lost weight before getting married, about 3.5 stone I think. Then when we were married, I went back to old habits. My goal was achieved and so I then went back to old ways.

2 years ago I lost 4 stone to be a healthier weight before conceiving my son. When I became pregnant my goal was achieved so I again went back to my old ways.

This time I am not losing weight for an occassion - because once the occassion is over I then regain it. So this time I have changed my lifestyle. For the first time I realise I am losing weight to be a healthier and happier person - for good. I have also discovered that I actually enjoy exercise, which is new for me!!

I am hoping that a combination of a healthier lifestyle, and also not focussing on only dieting until a certain occassion, will be the key to me keeping it off.

Hi

I think you are right about not focussing on one occasion. Earlier this year I had a wedding to go to and I so wanted to lose weight and look better but as soon as you focus on that occasion the PRESSURE is on. You sound as if you are well on the way to keeping it off.

Good Luck

aww joanna I was a bit suprised seeing your post, maybe you should focus more on ur clothes and the sizes, refuse to buy the next size up athough lets just hope you dont have to do that, I wish you all the best, I know how it feels to be on and off a diet for a while, i now realise i cant always have what i want.

yeah dont diet just cut the fats and make a lifestyle change that you can stick to.. eat balanced meals and dont snack on rubbish it will leave u feeling fuller and less prone to temptations. think of how well ure doing with the exercise and things .. it would be a shame to waste it xx dont give up u will get threw this its a mind over matter thing... measure yourself and aim at inches and clothe sizes more then the weight it may just boost ya x

Can't have it all!!!!

:p:p" i now realise i cant always have what i want"

Hi Georgiestar

Loved that quote but hated it too!!! you are spot on there.

Keep up the good work.

joanna:)

Measure as well as weigh

" think of how well ure doing with the exercise and things .. it would be a shame to waste it xx dont give up u will get threw this its a mind over matter thing... measure yourself and aim at inches and clothe sizes more then the weight it may just boost ya x"

Hi Kiirwaar

Thanks for that encouragement. I've even gone to the ladies only gym on my own today as my friend has gone away for the weekend so you are right I am doing well - thanks:)

I'll make sure I keep an eye on the measurements as well as the scales. Congratulations to you on 4 and a half stone that's phenomenal:)

Keep it up

Joanna

Well done on the exercise!

The reason I'm doing SW (again!) is that this time I know I'm doing it for my health. The basics mean that I don't have to count calories, I'm never hungry and tho I can't have as much as I did before, I can still have my wine and dark chocolate and still lose weight. I feel I can follow this for the rest of my life and I will be eating healthily.Please, please please, do this while you're young! Don't get to nearly 60 and still be fannying round like I did!

Hello Joanna - same boat here, many many times. I've yo-yo'd since I was 16. That's a decade now. This time, though, I feel it's for good. I think the breaking point for me was around a year and a half ago when I was in the middle of my 6 month chocolate-munching phase (that was always routinely sandwiched between the 6 month lettuce-munching phases!) and I found I needed to buy a size 20 pair of jeans. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So I vowed: no more!

What's worked for me this time is not trying to be superwoman. You know what I mean? The perfect diet, the rigorous exercise, the general saintliness. To be honest, I can't stand the gym, so I haven't gone and I don't intend to ever go. Just not for me. I find I can handle being disciplined with my food so long as I don't have to regimentally exercise as well. The odd leisurely ramble is as much as I do, so I do admire your gym-going antics. I will say, though, don't try to do too much or you'll just get sick of it and something will give and it's hello yo-yo again.

I think I also need to personally thank the makers of Alpen light cereal bars. Sorry if that sounds frivolous but I have a serious sweet tooth that has been my downfall for years, but the fact that I can have a couple of their choc & fudge cereal bars at less than 70 calories a pop has helped me enormously. On weak days I've been known to eat an entire box of 5, but it's still not the end of the world - barely adds up to one snickers, I think. Snackajacks choc popcorn is similarly wonderful, as are Skinny Cow double chocolate ice creams. Just having something sweet and delicious which doesn't break the calorie bank means I can see myself carrying on this way for the long haul.

Oh, and broccoli. I love you, broccoli. 300g of it a day helps me feel full, and apparently is good for me too, which is a bonus!

Yo-Yo dieting

Hi Iris

I am certainly going to try the Alpen Bars, skinny cow icecreams and the popcorn. It's ages since anyone told me something nice to try that still sounds yummy.

I'm still enjoying the gym. I think I am enjoying going because this gym is just ladies. It's similar to the Curves ladies only gyms if you've come across those. You don't have to worry about how you look or hold your tummy in all the while. I've recently been made redundant so it's great to get out of the house and do something for me for an hour or so.

I've not quite got the same relationship with broccoli as you have but I reckon I have something similar with peas. I eat them by the bowl full and at the moment the fresh poddy peas are in the shops a bit pricey but what's the saying " I'm worth it!"

thanks for replying

Joanna:)

Hi Judi

I had a great SW lecturer and lost about 4 stone a few years ago. I think SW was a good diet for me but when the lecturer left I didn't carry on and yo-yoed back up again.

One of my favourite SW snacks on a green day were homemade crisps (potatoes cut very thinly then cooked in either the microwave or the oven). I used to have them with a plain low fat yogurt with mint sauce stirred in and pretend I was eating poppadoms at the Indian.

I'm glad you are back on track with SW. You look fab and no where near 60 so it obviously agrees with you.

thanks for replying

Joanna

Hi Iris

I am certainly going to try the Alpen Bars, skinny cow icecreams and the popcorn. It's ages since anyone told me something nice to try that still sounds yummy.

I'm still enjoying the gym. I think I am enjoying going because this gym is just ladies. It's similar to the Curves ladies only gyms if you've come across those. You don't have to worry about how you look or hold your tummy in all the while. I've recently been made redundant so it's great to get out of the house and do something for me for an hour or so.

I've not quite got the same relationship with broccoli as you have but I reckon I have something similar with peas. I eat them by the bowl full and at the moment the fresh poddy peas are in the shops a bit pricey but what's the saying " I'm worth it!"

thanks for replying

Joanna:)

Ahhh, the poddy peas are lush, aren't they! I remember my parents used to grow them when I was a kid and I'd demolish most of them before they reached maturity!

The fact that you like exercise is such a bonus. I envy you! I tried Curves once and found it pretty purgatorial. The fact that there were no mirrors and everyone was facing each other in the circle meant that most of the women spent the time studying each other. Or maybe I'm just paranoid! :p Many moons ago I bought myself an elliptical trainer, and unfortunately the best workout I ever got from it was putting the damn thing together! I'm hopeless with exercise.

I hope your weight loss campaign is going well!

Back