Your final straw...

Broadway13

A few weeks ago now my whole group just all had a negative week, everyone on the fb group moaning and generally not great. Out C brought in some straws cut up into little pieces, a little bit of paper each and some pens and told us all to write down why we walked through the door for the first time- what was our final straw. We then all put these in our sw folder/purse etc as a reminder when the journey was tough of why we are doing it. Thought it might be a nice idea for people on here to, when here looking for support to just reflect on why you started this journey.

It's not ment for a list of hertfelt accounts of abuse, rejection or humerous tales of getting 'stuck' in an inapprpriate location but feel free to post yours publically if you dare! I just think when your getting caught up in figures, syns, colour of the day etc.... we can all be guilty of not seeing how far we have already come.

Nominees for WOTY were asked this at my group. My answer, and my final straw, was my dad having such a horrendous heart attack. I had done the plan before that, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't doing it properly. I would just mess around - 1lb off, 1lb on.

On July 26th 2011, my Dad had the most horrific heart attack and my Mam and I saved his life. He was in hopsital for 7 weeks after having a triple heart bypass and a defibrilator fitted. It was awful having to see him in hospital. Although he wasn't confined to his bed the whole time, and could freely wander around, it was awful.

The heart attack wasn't caused by my dad's weight, but it can have helped. I didn't ever want to be in that situation, and that's what made me knuckle down and decide to shift this weight for good. My dad is now fit and well - in fact he is fitter than he ever as been, the whole family are!

Nominees for WOTY were asked this at my group. My answer, and my final straw, was my dad having such a horrendous heart attack. I had done the plan before that, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't doing it properly. I would just mess around - 1lb off, 1lb on.

On July 26th 2011, my Dad had the most horrific heart attack and my Mam and I saved his life. He was in hopsital for 7 weeks after having a triple heart bypass and a defibrilator fitted. It was awful having to see him in hospital. Although he wasn't confined to his bed the whole time, and could freely wander around, it was awful.

The heart attack wasn't caused by my dad's weight, but it can have helped. I didn't ever want to be in that situation, and that's what made me knuckle down and decide to shift this weight for good. My dad is now fit and well - in fact he is fitter than he ever as been, the whole family are!

Ah glad he is doing well and best wishes to you on your weight loss journey :)

Wow. Pleased he's ok. A close call, to close for comfort.

Wow. Pleased he's ok. A close call, to close for comfort.

Very scary indeed. The scariest thing is that he wasn't even meant to be at home that day. He worked away a lot and was actually due to be in the states - the only reason he was home is because he was due to attend a friends' fathers' funeral, and had changed his flights. It was fate, he was meant to be at home for us to save him.

I might have saved his life, but he has also saved mine. 2st 2.5lb down, and I feel better now than I ever have done. No intentions of stopping any time soon!

My Husband's sleep apnoea and his fear of losing his driving licence haha, I had to do it with him to support him and I had lots to lose anyway. but when the consultant said he stopped breathing 47 times in 8 hours that was it for me I had to do something about it before it was too late :)
my Hubby was always saying he is fit and things and a round husband is a sign of a good wife so it was veeery difficult to get him to diet and when I wanted to lose weight he was not very helpful, now I created a gym/diet obsessed monster :D

When I got some new work trousers having fallen over and ripped the knees in my well worn two year old ones and finding the new ones seemed about a size too small... My old ones were so stretched I hadn't noticed but having to take my size 18 work trousers back upto the office because they were too small was my final straw... Now I'm just trying to get to a point where I can order some size 14's :D

Helping out a friend at an exhibition and having to wear a Size L polo shirt because the medium was way too tight then looking back at the photos. Awful. Thankfully my sister-in-law had just joined SW online and she converted me - I haven't looked back since! I'm now comfortably in size 12s and my self esteem is rocketing!

having been in denial abot my weight gain and was wearing leggings and my maternity clothes (refused to buy bigger clothes) my final straw was when i couldnt get my biggest pair of jeans over my bum lol

Well I'm 23, I've never been thin in my adult life, in fact since I was about 10, and I've just had enough!! Also, my blood pressure reading were 140/90 at the docs and that was scary, the nurse gave me a full MOT she had me on the ECG machine, got blood samples/urine samples taken (thankfully all came back healthy) so I knew the blood pressure was just the start. I stopped using so much salt and healthy eating, lost about 7 pounds then I joined slimming world and now I've lost 3 stone on top of that 7lbs. My blood pressure reading is normal now.

So for me it was health, knowing if I carried on I'd have serious high blood pressure, and probably start getting high blood sugars too and type 2 diabetes scares me!!

Also clothes, I am size 16 on top and 20 on bottom at the min. That's 2 sizes down on both!! Amazing going into shops and buying smaller clothes. And obviously a lot of shops don't go past a 16 so I want to be able to buy clothes in any shop I want. A pair of trousers/jeans from river isand is gonna be my reward when I reach a size 18 on bottoms. I can already get tops from there

I knew my weight had creeped up but the final straw was getting dressed to go out for coffee with the in-laws and everything I tried on accentuated my stomach. I cried! Next day I walked through the doors of my new group and I'm going well Today is the first day at home on my own for ages and I've set aside 2 chunks of chocolate that I'm going to et this evening and I can't wait! I've been 100% on track for the last three weeks so a little teat in control is ok I think :)

Buying 54 inch trousers with an elastic waist, to grow into was a sign..... I'm now a 40 inch and no elastic !

For me it was putting on a pair of jeans - which I'd been avoiding for months and only wearing dresses and tights - and hardly being able to get them over my ankles never mind my bum!

THIS time, the final straw was my best friend getting engaged. I knew she would ask me to be bridesmaid (Chief Bridesmaid it turns out :)).
She and I both did SW in the run up to my wedding 5 years ago. she lost 2 stone and I lost 3. She has kept hers off but I gained all mine back and an extra 2 stone for good measure - eek!
I knew she had made the effort to look her very best for my wedding and I owe her the same. 11 months to go and now 4.5 stone to shift (after losing 6lbs this week!)

A common one for me, seeing my holiday photos! ...oh and my friend giving me some size 16 leggings and saying 'well your bum is bigger than mine, theyre to big for me' pfffffffft!!!! Also a bridesmaid in 18 months for my brothers wedding...i refuse to be the token fat bridesmaid!

My Husband's sleep apnoea and his fear of losing his driving licence haha, I had to do it with him to support him and I had lots to lose anyway. but when the consultant said he stopped breathing 47 times in 8 hours that was it for me I had to do something about it before it was too late :)
my Hubby was always saying he is fit and things and a round husband is a sign of a good wife so it was veeery difficult to get him to diet and when I wanted to lose weight he was not very helpful, now I created a gym/diet obsessed monster :D

Hi Nika,

Glad your husband is doing well. I have a member of my family who is dangerously overweight and unfortunatly won't be helped! Lets hope they see the light too!

Mum died of sudden adult death syndrome aged 45 and I am now 44 and was 0.5 away from a bmi of 30 and obese, with high blood pressure and wanted to go back to healthy rather than the up and up that was happening. Also got to "my heaviest ever". Don't know how many times I've said that in my life!!! Think I have reached club10 or thereabouts (will find out on Tuesday) but blood pressure doesn't seem to be budging which is really disappointing :-(

The fact that i realised recently that i had no proper pictures of myself and my girls (age7,6&4)they are all of them them or them and daddy because i am always the one taking the photos and i refuse to have my photos taken.
I want to buy clothes because i actually like them and not just because they fit!
I went to a theme park recently and spent the whole time worrying if i would fit on the rides!!!

Seeing a lovely pic of me 4 yrs ago, slimmer and healthier - I look like a totally different person now :-( that amongst other awful things made me join x

The fact that i realised recently that i had no proper pictures of myself and my girls (age7,6&4)they are all of them them or them and daddy because i am always the one taking the photos and i refuse to have my photos taken.
I want to buy clothes because i actually like them and not just because they fit!
I went to a theme park recently and spent the whole time worrying if i would fit on the rides!!!

When you get to target you'll have to treat you and your daughters to a photo shoot to celebrate and mark the occassion. And I know the theme park feeling!!

Back