12 syns - whole sponge cake!!

This cake sounds fab with the syn free lemon curd - guess I'm going to have a baking weekend then!

i think my tins r about 7 inches across they are round ones makes quite a good size cake its 12 points if u use jam in the middle my cake was 10 as i used the free lemon curd going to try raspberry jam next time even my daughter liked it :)

Ok thanks Valerie, am going to try this tonight, excited!

I made my cake today....very impressed!!! It's lovely. I made mine in a loaf tin and added lemon essence to the mixture than mixed some icing sugar, more lemon essence and a drop of water to make a drizzly topping. Yummy!!!! Only trouble is I've eaten half of it already tonight!!!!!

Sounds great will make it tomorrow! :)

Thanks for the great recipe!

Ruth
x

Am just making this cake, yumyum.

I take it the 12 syns is including the jam? I am using low sugar jam, is anyone able to tell me syns for this using the calculator, or if anyone already knows the syns for it.

Values for the reduced sugar jam;
per 100g
energy: 784kj / 176kcal
protein: 0.4g
carbs: 43g
fat: 0.3g

thanks guys :) will post a pic of my cake when done xx

Actually cake done, and it went like two pancakes and didn't rise :|

What went wrong? Is it because I didn't use an electric whisk?

24eyskn.jpg

Last edited:
oh dear! I know you have to be very careful folding in the egg whites so the air stays this is what makes is rise (apparently!). low sugar jam is 0.5 syns per teaspoon x

I used whole eggs, not just the egg whites. So I'm meant to just whip egg whites & sweetner? Maybe that's where I went wrong. I'm usually really good at baking, but this was a faiiiiil. Hehe, I'm tempted to try again, but with an electric whisk xx

You do use 6 eggs - whisk the egg whites till stiff whisk the egg yolks with the sweetner and flavouring(ie lemon) mix 1/3 of egg white with the yolks then fold the rest in slowly until mixed in ......good luck

You do use 6 eggs - whisk the egg whites till stiff whisk the egg yolks with the sweetner and flavouring(ie lemon) mix 1/3 of egg white with the yolks then fold the rest in slowly until mixed in ......good luck

But the recipe says use whole. I have done the same as Miss emma & to be honest mine looks similar & i have an electric wisk. It's still food but will try the separate method

I've just had a slice of mine filled with quark & highlights. It was really nice. Not too sure if I can trick the hubby into eating as slice though!

hi did u whisk it till it was 3 times the original volume if u didnt that could be the reason it didnt rise another thing that can make a difference is the temp of the oven or opening oven door, i didnt whisk my egg whites seperately and it came out lovely am making another one tomorrow will see if i can take a photo of it on my phone and put it on here :)

Back