anyone having success with slimming world despite pcos?

Hi all, I've been on SW for 6 months and im almost at the 1.5 stone award(4lbs to go!) I've been taking inositol instead of metformin and have seen some differences. I've been on metformin in the past and had mixed results. I find non complex carbs really affect my insulin levels and I get very tired to the point of falling asleep. I tend to stick to healthier carbs from vegetables and as many low GI things as I can. The SW diet is a good balance for me. Having scanbran as Hex B can help boost weightloss if you drink at least 2 liters of water each day. I've tried it a couple of times and it seemed to work as it's extremely filling and can be used in lots of recipes to make cakes and pancakes etc.

You are doing great Jaxx!! I'm 7 lb away from the 1.5 stone award.. my 6 week weigh in is coming up on tuesday YIKES!

I havn't tried scan bran yet, its abit daunting still haha. Everyone at grroup raves about it but i struggle to try new things.
As of this week i have aimed to stop "double carbing" So if i want/need pasta or rice etc for tea then i wont have bread for lunch. I'm hoping that will pay off for me this week, i have failed today but hey im allowed a blip right?

Also gave in to AF this week and had a big bar of chocolate, i Really struggle to eat more than 10 syns a day and im allowed up to 25 because of my weight so ill be over for wednesday but no biggy in the grand scheme of things.

I do ALOT of swimming, straight from group on tuesday i head to my local ladies only night swimming pool for a 90 minute session, did 50 lengths last week - not bad considering I'm 26stone and struggle to walk :) This definitely aids my weightloss however maybe not as much as i want.

We are having Pizza pasta tonight so limited speed food but going to throw as many tinned tomatoes in there as i can as of course lots of healthy passatta on the top :)

Hi jem, thanks I feel proud of what I've done so far. That's good going for 6 weeks. Syns can be difficult but are important as well. I also find double carbing can be bad for weightloss. My body loves em so much it doesn't want to let go! :doh: Wow 50 lengths is brilliant I'd struggle with that. I love swimming and it defo is good when you can't do other kinds of exercise. I try to go walking as much as I can even if it's only short walks to keep me going. Everyone has off days I had a whole bad week not so long ago, as they say draw a line under it and start fresh tomorrow. I had a gain this week so starting fresh next week and hoping for a loss :innocent0001:

I killed myself doing it Jaxx but after a couple of days recovering it felt amazing. Going to stick with that distance for a while. I struggle to do the walks but may push myself out in the cold tonight and attack it.

Have you cut out double carbing? If so did it boost your numbers each week.

I've started taking my metformin again in the hope it will help keep things moving

I try to cut it out as much as possible but not completely. I usually have my hex b at breakfast which consists of porridge or overnight oats. Then lunch I try to be carb free with some soup or sometimes pasta leftovers from the night before. Dinner I try and go for veg with some sort of meat combo. I could eat pasta till it comes out my ears but try to keep it to a couple of times a week. I do notice that not having bread for a few days really helps me and I need to stay away from pizza as I always slip with it. I also try to mix it up a bit having thing like orzo, bulgar wheat, and quinoa instead of rice or potatoes. I do find the less carbs I have the more lbs I loose. It's just difficult for me to plan meals with just veg but I'm getting better at it.

I find it worse when Carbs are so darn cheap too!

Today is a double carb day but tomorrow i aim to do a SP day but with potatoes throw in so not totally. Fry up in the morning, Sunday Roast and a ton of water!

Yep it's hard to break the habit when there so many factors making it harder. Good luck for your sp day :)

Thank you! It will be the first one so will see how i go. x

Hi all, I've been on SW for 6 months and im almost at the 1.5 stone award(4lbs to go!) I've been taking inositol instead of metformin and have seen some differences. I've been on metformin in the past and had mixed results. I find non complex carbs really affect my insulin levels and I get very tired to the point of falling asleep. I tend to stick to healthier carbs from vegetables and as many low GI things as I can. The SW diet is a good balance for me. Having scanbran as Hex B can help boost weightloss if you drink at least 2 liters of water each day. I've tried it a couple of times and it seemed to work as it's extremely filling and can be used in lots of recipes to make cakes and pancakes etc.

Where do you get your inositol from? I wanted to try it but I'm too scared to buy it online!!

I had a gain at sw tonight - in 6 weeks ive only lost 1lb despite having amazing food weeks every week except this one. This week was norovirus - think I'm the only person that can not eat for 5 days and gain 2lbs!!

Ive made an appt with my doc for three weeks time to discuss going back on metformin - I think its the only way forward for me unfortunately

Where do you get your inositol from? I wanted to try it but I'm too scared to buy it online!!

I bought it from amazon. I was a bit dubious but decided to risk it. This is the one I've bought previously here.

My progress chart looks more like a roller coaster track than a weight loss log. I gain or stay the same more often than I loose but when I do loose I get 3 or 4lb losses. I've noticed that depending on where I am in my cycle depends how my weight fluctuates. I'm winning the battle slowly!

It's worked for me with PCOS thus far, but with starting on metformin too. After hitting 20st and now having to be investigated for endometriosis hyperplasia (scary!) I was put on Metformin and slimming world was suggested; I've lost a stone and a half in 6 weeks with exsercise too, it can be done!:)

Hi, I have PCOS and am currently doing slimming world, I've lost 12.5lbs in 3 weeks. It defo does work.

It's worked for me with PCOS thus far, but with starting on metformin too. After hitting 20st and now having to be investigated for endometriosis hyperplasia (scary!) I was put on Metformin and slimming world was suggested; I've lost a stone and a half in 6 weeks with exsercise too, it can be done!:)

Your story sounds so incredibly similar to mine its scary. I have endometriosis hyperplasia and was put on metformin by my GP. I also have an underactive thyroid and PCOS :( but SW seems to be working so far.

To be honest, they gave my metformin and that's all. Is there other ways of dealing with it?
I had a procedure where they took a sample from the lining in my uterus which was negative but don't think it was the same as a hysterscopy. I assume there is a camera involved in that going by the 'scopy' bit. I've had no further advice about it.

To be honest, they gave my metformin and that's all. Is there other ways of dealing with it?
I had a procedure where they took a sample from the lining in my uterus which was negative but don't think it was the same as a hysterscopy. I assume there is a camera involved in that going by the 'scopy' bit. I've had no further advice about it.

I was told if I don't get back to a regular period within the next 6 months on metformin they'd start me on hormone injections! I believe its a little camera and there taking a sample from my uterus as well, scary stuff, How has the metformin gone for you hun? side effects are still getting to me!

Oh they didn't say anything like that to me :eek:
The metformin hasn't given me any side effects. What side effects are you getting?
P.s. take painkillers before your procedure. I had a bad reaction to the biopsy and wish someone would have told me. Luckily it doesn't happen to everyone. So if they offer you any, take them! I got to have pizza afterwards though (pre-SW) so it was okay.

Back