Aspartame Poisoning - My Story

Hi, only just read this and it is shocking that the risks with Aspartame aren't more widely published. I had a similar problem with my daughter a few years ago when she became "addicted" to Robinsons Fruit Shoots. It was seriously very scary and we were horrified when the blood tests showed what was causing her mood swings . . She was six at the time and changed into a child from hell who couldn't sleep and suddenly was unable to speak coherently. All artifical sweeteners are now banned and I check everything we eat and drink. It's shocking how something we think of as "healthy" can cause so many problems.

What a story thank you for sharing, not something I have ever been aware of really. I don't have sugar in my tea I stopped when I was pregnant just didn't ant it anymore! It's funny I used to drink a lot of fix one of my faves being Pepsi max I do still have the odd glass but I do really crave it. I hate the way my oh drinks constant fizz I swear his addicted he drinks the Pepsi max cherry all the time he could quiet easy drink a huge bottle every night. And god knows what he has at work in the day! He isn't over weight is very fit and active ....but the way he drinks that stuff is worrying, I may show him your story he may think twice about it.

im glad you had a great gp that picked up on this and that things are better for you now xx

Thanks for sharing. I have probably increased my intake of sweetener lately with the yoghurts and scan bran cakes etc and though I try not too have too many its so easy to start craving diet fizzy drinks . Its amazing how much diet coke etc some people drink, this thread is a good reminder of not to do it.
Its in so much that I don't think about like the yoghurts though :eek: I must take more care!
So glad you are ok now and have found a way round the sweeteners to do sw x

Thanks for posting this, I try to avoid aspartame as it massively irritates my bladder, means I can be getting up 15+ times in the night needing to wee but unable to go - I hadn't even thoughtof everything else it could be doing too though. I'm going to try to cut down as much as possible, although I avid it now like you say it *is* difficult. It's a minefield sometimes trying to find things without it, and it really shouldn't be when there are alternatives available. Glad to hear you're back on an even keel now x

wow, i never realised a sweetener could do that! thank you for sharing. i dont tend to have much sweetner as it gives me heart burn (weird i know). glad your fine now =]

Well done for posting this, its so disgusting that so much of this is in the food we eat! This is something that should be so hard to talk about but I'm so glad you have turned your experience into a positive by warning others what this can do to our bodies and good for you for making the changes and speaking up in your classes :) I wish you the best luck in the future :)

Hi, only just read this and it is shocking that the risks with Aspartame aren't more widely published. I had a similar problem with my daughter a few years ago when she became "addicted" to Robinsons Fruit Shoots. It was seriously very scary and we were horrified when the blood tests showed what was causing her mood swings . . She was six at the time and changed into a child from hell who couldn't sleep and suddenly was unable to speak coherently. All artifical sweeteners are now banned and I check everything we eat and drink. It's shocking how something we think of as "healthy" can cause so many problems.

My mum gives my niece those Fruit Shoots all the time, but I think she has the normal ones as opposed to the 'Sugar Free' ones. I'll get her to check if the normal ones contain it! She sounds like she definitely had the same as me, no sleep, moodyness & the speech thing. That was the worst! It was very, very annoying not being able to get my words across! OK now though! So glad everyone is reading this! :D - I felt embarrassed posting it, but like I said, better to be completely honest! x

What a story thank you for sharing, not something I have ever been aware of really. I don't have sugar in my tea I stopped when I was pregnant just didn't ant it anymore! It's funny I used to drink a lot of fix one of my faves being Pepsi max I do still have the odd glass but I do really crave it. I hate the way my oh drinks constant fizz I swear his addicted he drinks the Pepsi max cherry all the time he could quiet easy drink a huge bottle every night. And god knows what he has at work in the day! He isn't over weight is very fit and active ....but the way he drinks that stuff is worrying, I may show him your story he may think twice about it.
im glad you had a great gp that picked up on this and that things are better for you now xx

I used to drink Pepsi Max all the time before all this happened & I was honestly fine.. it was just when I went OTT on the diets & started using the sweetener in EVERYTHING - tea/yoghurts on my cereal. I don't think a little bit will do great harm - but I'm personally avoiding it altogether now, after seeing first hand what it did to me! My OH Colin has also banned it after seeing what I went through.. BUT he did buy a Lilt by accident before this diet (not zero, just normal) & he accidentally gave me a sip (we thought it was sweetener free) RIGHT AWAY I could taste it & fairplay he threw it away after realising it had sugar AND aspartame in it! He always says he doesn't like the taste of the aspartame in anything! Thanks for reading :D

Thanks for sharing. I have probably increased my intake of sweetener lately with the yoghurts and scan bran cakes etc and though I try not too have too many its so easy to start craving diet fizzy drinks . Its amazing how much diet coke etc some people drink, this thread is a good reminder of not to do it.
Its in so much that I don't think about like the yoghurts though :eek: I must take more care!
So glad you are ok now and have found a way round the sweeteners to do sw x

Thanks for reading! So glad everyone is reading this! That's the scary thing though.. you don't think anything of it, at all. You just get told to swap your sugar for the sweetener & that you can have unlimited diet coke/muller lights & so on.. You think it's fantastic, at least, I did. Eating all those 'sweet' things made me feel like I wasn't even on a diet - but my god. If I'd have known it was slowly killing me (yes, killing me) I would have just had a bloody Galaxy bar a day instead of that rubbish! Please be careful.. you've said you've upped the use of sweetener. That's how I started. Keep an eye on it! Danone Danio yoghurts are VERY yummy (strawberry sauce in the bottom)! - the 0% fat ones are 1 syn & no sweeteners. In my opinion a 100% more tasty than the Muller Lights!! I don't wish what I went through on anyone, take care x

Thanks for posting this, I try to avoid aspartame as it massively irritates my bladder, means I can be getting up 15+ times in the night needing to wee but unable to go - I hadn't even thoughtof everything else it could be doing too though.

Funny you say about the bladder.. one thing I didn't mention in the ridiculously long post (shock horror!) was the fact that I also suffered with Cystitis a hell of a lot more during the diet/aspartame time. No joke, I would be in the loo nearly in tears then would spend the night going back & forth. I had my best friend teasing me saying that the cause was too much sex(!!) & Google telling me it was usually hygiene related (sorry to be so forward) - but I knew it was NEITHER of these. I eventually went to Hospital one time on the way home from Manchester because I couldn't drive (Colin the OH had to take over) & it felt like my kidneys were being squeezed. It turned out it was a very very bad bladder infection, not great. Luckily on this diet (& because I avoid diet drinks) I am only drinking water & tea & touch wood.. there has been NO problems down there since I gave the poison up! Thanks for commenting & glad I got a chance to mention this as well! x

wow, i never realised a sweetener could do that! thank you for sharing. i dont tend to have much sweetner as it gives me heart burn (weird i know). glad your fine now =]

Thanks for commenting :) & yeah, whether it's like above (the bladder problem) or like you, the heart burn.. we should listen to our bodies. When these things happen it's obviously our bodies screaming out STOP! x

Well done for posting this, its so disgusting that so much of this is in the food we eat! This is something that should be so hard to talk about but I'm so glad you have turned your experience into a positive by warning others what this can do to our bodies and good for you for making the changes and speaking up in your classes :) I wish you the best luck in the future :)

Thank you SO much! :) I'm glad I spoke about it. All the grizzly details too. I do try and keep my mouth shut in the meetings now because at the end of the day my consultant and all consultants have their job to do & I guess they are doing it by pushing certain products like the Scan Bran (with the aspartame loaded recipes) - I'm not sure if those Hi-Fi bars contain aspartame, I've never looked at their table (where they sell stuff) to be honest. I stick to my Alpen Light bars! I did bring it up once though when the class was quite full and I didn't be all annoying & say 'AVOID IT completely!!" I just told everyone to not overdo it like I did. There were gasps when I said just HOW much I was using & it was embarrassing but I can't be the only person to do this in the world, can I!? I do hate it though when my consultant brings empty pots of Muller Lights and says how amazing the new flavours are etc & also when she pushes the Diet drinks.. but there we go! I can't change what people want to eat/drink at home but if they just have it in the back of their minds NOT to overdo it, I'm glad I've helped! Thanks again x

Thanks for sharing, i don't like the taste but use it to stay on plan, will definately make me rethink a few things x

Thanks so much! It IS possible (even for a SUPER DUPER sweet tooth maniac like me) to stay on plan without it, trust me. Not going to tell you to change but I will just suggest the honey (yeah, you'll have to syn it, but it honestly isn't a lot at all)! I have it in my tea & Total 0% yoghurts which is yummy! As my sweet treats I have the Danio Strawberry yoghurts (like I've mentioned above, yummy strawberry sauce and bits in the bottom) & an Alpen bar or two a day. I've managed to lose weight every week so far in my class, the same if not more than others in my group (my weigh in is tomorrow & I'm hopin for my 1st award)! So it can be done! :D Good Luck! xx

THANK YOU again to everyone, I'm so glad I joined this forum now & I can share my stories/advice/tips as well as receive great stories/hints & tips from all of you! Great motivation here, thanks all! x

Its too bad that almost everything we eat nowadays, has aspartame on it (whether it shows on the label of the product or not)

Agreed. I spend SO long shopping because I'm checking everything! I'd rather that though than to be ill. Plus in the long run - I really feel like I have detoxed and you feel a hell of a lot healthier/cleaner when you avoid it! :)

I've just joined to try pm you minxie but being new I cant. I find this really interesting as every time I start slimming world I need to stop as I get an awful upset stomach, pee non stop and just so irritated and strange. I also have cfs and after reading about aspartame I see it can make it worse. Im now wondering if this is what makes my stomach so upset because of drinking lots of Pepsi max and muller!

I've just joined to try pm you minxie but being new I cant. I find this really interesting as every time I start slimming world I need to stop as I get an awful upset stomach, pee non stop and just so irritated and strange. I also have cfs and after reading about aspartame I see it can make it worse. Im now wondering if this is what makes my stomach so upset because of drinking lots of Pepsi max and muller!

It's annoying being new isn't it, haha.. can't do anything until your 50 posts! :p

I obviously can't diagnose you because I'm no doctor - but I would ask how much Pepsi you're drinking & is the rest of your eating normal? What I mean is are you having healthy filling meals as well as these things or are you just having small meals & filling up using these? Get me? The OH Colin finds that Pepsi Max doesn't agree with him & Diet Coke always, always makes him wee more! So yeah, certain products will have a certain affect on you I'm sure! If you are suffering with CFS as well, which is one of the things I was falsely diagnosed with (at the time of the aspartame poisoning - I would fall asleep 2pm - 5pm every day - this is only going to make it worse in MY opinion (remember, I'm not a Dr)! lol - Why not try what I'm suggesting to other people.. the honey? Try putting it in your tea & using it as your sweetener (remember to syn it)! Swap Mullers for Danone Danio's. Lovely! Also Total 0% yoghurt is lovely with honey in it! Add some blueberries/raspberries if you like. I have my Total 0% with honey & top it with sugar free muesli, literally a handfull (not a lot) yum!

If you're experiencing discomfort cut the crap out straight away in my opinion! Good Luck! xx

I usually stay well clear of artificial sweeteners, or at least keep it to an absolute minimum, as I cannot stomach them either. For hot beverages I use agave nectar, half the syns of sugar and 100% natural. During my first week of SW I was weeing for Britain and pretty much everybody else in my group experienced the same :D, guess it's just the body getting rid of all the excess water xx

It's annoying being new isn't it, haha.. can't do anything until your 50 posts! :p

I obviously can't diagnose you because I'm no doctor - but I would ask how much Pepsi you're drinking & is the rest of your eating normal? What I mean is are you having healthy filling meals as well as these things or are you just having small meals & filling up using these? Get me? The OH Colin finds that Pepsi Max doesn't agree with him & Diet Coke always, always makes him wee more! So yeah, certain products will have a certain affect on you I'm sure! If you are suffering with CFS as well, which is one of the things I was falsely diagnosed with (at the time of the aspartame poisoning - I would fall asleep 2pm - 5pm every day - this is only going to make it worse in MY opinion (remember, I'm not a Dr)! lol - Why not try what I'm suggesting to other people.. the honey? Try putting it in your tea & using it as your sweetener (remember to syn it)! Swap Mullers for Danone Danio's. Lovely! Also Total 0% yoghurt is lovely with honey in it! Add some blueberries/raspberries if you like. I have my Total 0% with honey & top it with sugar free muesli, literally a handfull (not a lot) yum!

If you're experiencing discomfort cut the crap out straight away in my opinion! Good Luck! xx

I dont drink tea or coffee but can drink 4l of pepsi a day. Muller wise.. 5 a day easily. I tend to have 4 or 5 small meals with snacks in between. Things like low fat mayo etc I have. How do you know if a product contains it? I love bran flakes but wondering now if they have it

I dont drink tea or coffee but can drink 4l of pepsi a day. Muller wise.. 5 a day easily. I tend to have 4 or 5 small meals with snacks in between. Things like low fat mayo etc I have. How do you know if a product contains it? I love bran flakes but wondering now if they have it

Oh wow, that's a lot of Pepsi a day! :eek: That's 2 big bottles right? That's not great! I know water is boring (I know because it's one of the only things I can drink, haha) but seriously, can you just give it a try maybe for a while, even if it's just to flush your body, if you get me? Muller Lights - 5 a day.. I usually have 1 maybe 2 yoghurts as my treat. I'm guessing you are very much like I was & have a very sweet tooth. I personally think that's a bit much on the Mullers as well. Try to swap them, like I said, try the Danio's/Total 0%! Let me know how you get on when you do.

Do you eat much fruit as well? Since cutting out the aspartame & starting this diet, I've been scoffing lots more raspberries (which are superspeed)! & blueberries (not speed, but delicious)! Get some more fruit in & some of those Alpen Light bars, use them as your treats! You need to read the labels carefully!! Read the back, anything that says SUGAR FREE usually has it. Read the ingredients & look out for 'Sweeteners' especially 'Aspartame' - let me know how you get on!! xxx

Thank you so much for sharing, the shower part sounds terrifying!
i read up a lot about artificial sweeteners, glucose syrup and the like and now avoid them as much as possible, stories of brain tumours, skin reactions and more is horrific. No doubt it's a drug.
I read that it creates a 'black hole' effect in your body switching off signals of hunger so you need to eat more cause you think you're starving, normal whole food doesn't satisfy it, it has to be fake food.

You did the right thing detoxing it out and I bet the withdrawal was horrible for you. We use algave nectar and manuka honey and it makes such a difference x glad you're better now, all fake rubbish should be banned but the food market is there to sell you food and drink, the best way to do that is to make you addicted to it so you keep coming back!

this wiki article has a list of all artificial sweeteners you should stay well clear of, it's a very interesting read
Sugar substitute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for this & thanks for the reply! :D

Yeah the shower thing was humiliating. Out of character, frightening. Never again, ever! Thanks for that link too! xx

Oh wow, that's a lot of Pepsi a day! :eek: That's 2 big bottles right? That's not great! I know water is boring (I know because it's one of the only things I can drink, haha) but seriously, can you just give it a try maybe for a while, even if it's just to flush your body, if you get me? Muller Lights - 5 a day.. I usually have 1 maybe 2 yoghurts as my treat. I'm guessing you are very much like I was & have a very sweet tooth. I personally think that's a bit much on the Mullers as well. Try to swap them, like I said, try the Danio's/Total 0%! Let me know how you get on when you do.

Do you eat much fruit as well? Since cutting out the aspartame & starting this diet, I've been scoffing lots more raspberries (which are superspeed)! & blueberries (not speed, but delicious)! Get some more fruit in & some of those Alpen Light bars, use them as your treats! You need to read the labels carefully!! Read the back, anything that says SUGAR FREE usually has it. Read the ingredients & look out for 'Sweeteners' especially 'Aspartame' - let me know how you get on!! xxx

Everytime I cut it out the migranes start :eek: I have no problem drinking water so I will need to try it again. Yes I have a very sweet tooth.. I could sit and eat malteasers all day long! What you said about the eye sight is interesting because mine is getting worse and worse. I only got new glasses about 3 months ago and already feels like my eyes are worse!

I love strawberries and could eat them happily. I've never tried the alpen light bars and to be honest things like that don't really appeal to me hence the muller addiction.. I went to a SW meeting twice and had to stop going because of head aches and stomach upsets. I started it at home again 5 weeks ago and have lost 8lbs so it does work! Time to start reading ingredients. I'll accept your friend request once I reach 50 posts :)

Just checked the Robinson Fruit Shoots and the regular ones contain 23% sugar (about 5 teaspoons), the No Added Sugar variety contains aspartame and acesulfame k plus some other nasty sounding additives (which may be harmless for all I know) . . As I said previously we avoid artifical sweeteners now but I was shocked to read how much sugar was present in a 200ml bottle of a regular fruit shoot. Just thought I would share my findings :)

Everytime I cut it out the migranes start :eek: I have no problem drinking water so I will need to try it again. Yes I have a very sweet tooth.. I could sit and eat malteasers all day long! What you said about the eye sight is interesting because mine is getting worse and worse. I only got new glasses about 3 months ago and already feels like my eyes are worse!

I love strawberries and could eat them happily. I've never tried the alpen light bars and to be honest things like that don't really appeal to me hence the muller addiction.. I went to a SW meeting twice and had to stop going because of head aches and stomach upsets. I started it at home again 5 weeks ago and have lost 8lbs so it does work! Time to start reading ingredients. I'll accept your friend request once I reach 50 posts :)

I know the Alpen bars sound boring and awful, but take it from someone who would every other night polish off a galaxy, box of malteasers and more.. they are yummy. They have a chcolate & fudge flavour, double chocolate & cherry bakewell which I recommend! & as for the headaches.. read below..

The migraines you get are due to the withdrawal, 4l is so much and not good for your insides at all. You can only drink that much cause of the addictive properties. There was a programme about Americans who drank those big gulp huge cups of Pepsi all day, he went blind for a while and got diabetes.
It takes about 3-7 days for the drug to leave your body, longer depending on how much you have. You need to remember that you're having these feelings, sweats, headaches, cravings, fever, tiredness and so on because of what you put in your body not because you're not having it anymore x

100% RIGHT. I had awful migraines, one that left me on the floor of my living room not able to even move an inch, trying to call my mum because I was so scared of what was happening. This was when I was detoxing. Remember I was an extreme case but the headaches definitely sound familiar. TRUST ME, it will all go away & you will feel 100% happier and healthier. It's been a LONG hard journey for me. My god, I still have massive difficulties walking down the drinks isle & when I pass the sweetener isle.. I literally want to eat the powder!! Honestly it is like a drug to me & I was an addict for a long, long time. I've been 'clean' since the start of the year & it has taken until 2 months ago for it to leave the system ultimately (I feel).

The sooner you get it out your system, the better it will be for you! :)

With the pepsi I take 1 mouthful then another right away. In the time my boyfriend drinks 1 can I drink 3 easy. I just find it so addictive. Tomorrow will be the start of no more pepsi etc! Sorry for hijacking your thread

With the pepsi I take 1 mouthful then another right away. In the time my boyfriend drinks 1 can I drink 3 easy. I just find it so addictive. Tomorrow will be the start of no more pepsi etc! Sorry for hijacking your thread

Reading your story I wish you the best of luck trying to cut down, it helps to talk and takes a lot to say that something isn't right so good for you :)

Back