Barbecue Tips

Ribs/Chick Drumsticks coated in SW Bbq sauce
Homemade Burgers
Homemade Coleslaw
Homemade Potato Salad
Homemade Pasta Salad -
Cook any pasta ( I use tri colour spirals ),
add chopped red and green peppers,chopped onion,mix in a little shwartz Garlic Italian Seasoning and Sainsburys Be Good To Yourself Honey & Mustard Dressing to taste (If u like - add a few sultanas) - DELISH

WW premium pork sausages are only 0.5 syns each and are thick and really meaty.
KFC style chicken drumsticks are delicious.
Homemade beef burgers with the mini babybel are great, or you could use Laughing cow extra light cheese triangles instead and its just as nice.
I love making lamb kebabs as well - lamb mince, mint, coriander, paprika, tumeric, garlic granules, chili powder, tandoori powder blended with some lemon juice...delicious!

Sorry but have just checked SW website as I got all excited when I saw this post, and alas, this is what I found, still pretty good though! ;)

Product
Premium Thick Pork Sausages 6 pack, chilled, 67g each
Extra Easy Original Green
1 1 5

Syn-free sauce for BBQ's or any other time lovely with chicken skewers or lamb burgers or anything
0% of very low fat natural yogurt and colemans garden mint (not classic mint sauce as has sugar in) add as much as you want to taste. If sharp (particularly if chosen greek yogurt) add some sweetner sugar. If you want it like mint sauce from the indian add a dash of water and lemon juice. Its also nice as a mayonnaise substitute or with homemade coleslaw/potato salad.

hi has anybody got any low/syn free recipes for marinades to use for bbq's to make the chicken/chops/kebabs a bit more interesting . . . im not goin away for a while but tryin to get myself prepared so i dont end up buying shop stuff and blowin the diet thanx in advance

I just marinade chicken in fat free yoghurt & curry powder and put them on a skewer....yummy

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Marinades

2 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove of garlic crushed
1tsp sweetner
pinch of ginger
salt n pepper

mix all ingredients together and cover meat or veggies for at least 2 hours

bbq sauce
1 onion finely chopped
1tsp chilli powder
8 floz passata
4tbsp balsamic vinegar
3tbsp sweetner
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard powder
salt and pepper

fry onion and chilli powder for 5 mins, stir in remaining ingredients, simmers for 10 mins, blend in needed

I have not tried these just found them written down in my note book, if any one tries them let me know what they are like as we have been having loads of bbq's

I love making burgers with cheese in, they are yummy!

We went to a BBQ yesterday, made some stuffed tomatoes that were delish! Just got some big beef tomatoes, cut the top off and scooped out the middle. Mixed the tomato insides with extra light mayo, tinned tuna, spring onion and seasoning, then stuffed the tomatoes with the mix. I found that the tomato split a little when I was scooping them out so I wrapped them in tin foil to hold them together and then put them straight on the bbq in the foil to heat through. They were really good!!

Hi, does anyone know where you can buy extra lean minced lamb? I love the sound of those kebabs.
My Tescos just sells normal minced lamb which is 25% fat!!! (Gulp)

Hi, does anyone know where you can buy extra lean minced lamb? I love the sound of those kebabs.
My Tescos just sells normal minced lamb which is 25% fat!!! (Gulp)

tesco also sells lean lamb but thats 3.5 syns per 100g - my consultant told me that extra lean lamb is very hard to get hold of, maybe a good butchers - where he could mince some extra lean lamb for you or maybe u could do it yourself but some lamb cut all the fat off - do you think it would work if u blended it? i used to have a proper mincer but as it didnt get used i threw it out :( argh. i made the kebabs with lean lamb and it was lovely until i can get some extra lean lamb i'm going to make the kebabs with extra lean steak mince hope it tastes as nice :) x

could someone please tell me syn value for these tesco finest mini burgers ?---thnk u...

IDShot_225x225.jpg
Typical ValuesA grilled burger (70g) containsEnergy 615kJ (150kcal) Protein17.3gCarbohydrate3.3gSugars0.1gFat7.1gSaturates2.7gMono Unsaturates3.4gPolyunsaturates0.3gFibre0.4gSodium*0.3g*Salt Equivalent

could someone please tell me syn value for these tesco finest mini burgers ?---thnk u...

IDShot_225x225.jpg
Typical ValuesA grilled burger (70g) containsEnergy 615kJ (150kcal) Protein17.3gCarbohydrate3.3gSugars0.1gFat7.1gSaturates2.7gMono Unsaturates3.4gPolyunsaturates0.3gFibre0.4gSodium*0.3g*Salt Equivalent

Just worked it out and is 2 syns per burger :D

Try these!

Pete’s Spicy Chicken Drumsticks

(My version from SW Mag March/April 2011)

Serves 4
Extra Easy 1 Syn

Ingredients

8 Chicken Drumsticks, skinned
1 Tbsp hot paprika
2 Tsp Turmeric
4 Tbsp dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp garlic salt
2 Tsp ground ginger
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Method

Slash the flesh of the chicken a few times and place in a large bowl.
Mix the spices, soy sauce, garlic salt, ginger & vinegar, then pour over the chicken and cover then marinate for 6-8hrs.

Preheat the oven to 200c, place the chicken on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Cook for 10 mins then lower the oven to 180c for the remaining 20-25mins or until cooked through.

Have with a Salad or as I did Bombay Potatoes!

Attachments

• IMG_0169 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0169 (Large).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 239
Babybel burgers - I have been making them for years and my friends all love them.

Basically you make your own burgers to which ever recipe you prefer. I use extra lean mince beef, very finely grated onion, salt and a few teaspoons of dijon mustard (synned).

What I then do is take a babybel cheese (normal or light) and cut in half so you have 2 discs, rather than 2 semi-circles (if that makes sense). I then pop these in the middle of the burgers and mould the meat mixture around.

Great thing about these is that you can tell when the burgers are fully cooked as the cheese starts to bubble through.

I also made a variation of these this weekend using lean lamb mince, mint and used feta in the middle. yum!

I also make lots of homemade coleslaw - grated carrots, onions and white cabbage mixed with Hellamns light.

Prawns on skewers marinated in frylight, chopped garlic and red chili.

BBQ's are so great for SW!

Hi, having a bbq in 2weeks will use this recipe they sound fab, will need a couple of practices first tho lol:D

Hiya

I'm holding a barbecue saturday for some friends....we are all bringing our own food!
I want to make it a red day as i have an awful lot of green this week!
I just wanted some tips on what kind of meats/burgers/sausages i could cook that would be syn free or super low syn

Thanks
Kate

dont forget that you can do ee day too

pasta salads
cous cous salads,
tandoori chicken,
lean beef mince koftas,
microwave some spuds then wrap in foil and bbq
sainsburys do some sausages that are 1/2 syn too.
prawn skewers with garlic ginger soy and a little sweetener
there are tons of options
garlic mushrooms
homemade burgers on a wholemeal bap with cheese Hex a and bs needed for bap and cheese tho
chicken kebab on co op wholemeal pitta
hope that helps

am having a bbq for my daughters 13th birthday in july have got some good ideas from you guys on here thanks all

Last edited:
Back