Begin at the Beginning

Veggies unite! I have been veggie for over20 years, and have started to dream about meat, what's that all about? Have managed to stay on course all week, going to weigh myself shortly, then I'm away with a friend for the weekend and I will be eating, will keep it under control, this time seems I'm focussed at the moment so I'm hopeful it will be not too much f a challenge, depending what's on offer.
Hope you cold goes soon and you enjoyed the distraction of the fireworks
Jx

We are a similar weight I am on day 22 of a VLCD and finding it fine so far, I just seem to be in the zone. Am determined to lose this weight for good. I dug out a load of old clothes today, lovely summer skirts that I would love to be able to fit into in January/February (I live in Australia) so is hot. Am fed up being the one in the cover up clothes on the beach all the time.
We can do this and I will be here supporting you and shaking my pom poms to keep you motivated.

Fantastic first week loss for you well done.

Hi Julz and skinnygirl, thanks for the support! Julz, have a fab time, sounds like you're prepared to eat but do it well, let me know how it goes. Skinnygirl, great to share the journey and wooo for pompoms, if only you could do it in real life! I'll imagine each time I do something positive youre there shaking away!

So, day 10! This second week has been much easier. Not sure if that's because it's past in a miasma of cold or just as routine starts to kick in?!

Today my size 14 dress arrived, wasn't due for a few days but was a good pickmeup! Tried it on and it fit. I'd go as far as to say I could wear it now, but it'd show the lumps when sitting, and on my back. So, a couple more weeks and it should be good to go. To be honest, I'm a massive pear shape so dresses are always a size smaller if the skirt is cut in the right way. But the flatness of my tummy proves the lack of carbs work wonders!

Supposed to be going for a posh wedding fitting on 17 November. First outing since the horror of previous dress shopping where I came away with nothing but tears. OH says I should wait till after xmas so ive really gotten a fair bit off. I don't know. My friend says go for it and it'll help spur me on that I'm doing the right thing. Any thoughts? I'd rather do it when im a size 12 and can fit into a fair number rather than the odd few with elastic to do up the back. But then, in another 2 weeks I may feel better. No idea what to do...

Day 11. In a grump. Not hungry. I'm peckish. Walked dogs with OH and stopped cafe at end for a black coffee. Washed dogs, self, read papers, tidied, now still a bit ill so had soup at 4:30, later than normal. However, all I want is carbs. Forbidden, takeaway carbs. Italian melting carbs. I wont. But its all I want and I'm so worried that I feel this way and not even thru two weeks. I keep thinking: I just could. I'm an adult. It's my choice. I will. No, this diet is my choice. What a waste it would be. How awful would I feel afterwards-I'd feel terrible. And probably be ill. And start at day 1 again. I must harden my mind and get on with it.

Stay strong and focused and just think next week at weigh in you and I will both have broken in to the 13 stone something category, how cool is that going to be. You can do this and you will do it. Come on I am shaking my pom poms for you.

Thank you! I didnt give in. And so glad. I dont really intend to as I'm committed but that was a strong craving evening! X

Thank you! I didnt give in. And so glad. I dont really intend to as I'm committed but that was a strong craving evening! X

Hooray for not slipping off the wagon. We are in this journey together and I don't want to be a solo passenger so get your bottom firmly on that wagon and cling on tight for the ride, we can do this and we will do this x

Just about still day 12! All good today. Last day to fully get rid of cold and back to work tomorrow. Really dont think I've been drinking enough water-easier in office for sure. Can't believe its so close to second WI already. Nice black jeans, as nice as size 18s can be, and they are now falling off. A belt? I don't recall ever needing one of those! X

Great news for falling down jeans, I am similar and have spent all day pulling up my skirt that kept falling down and my trousers are just as bad. Cannot get into the next size down that is in my wardrobe yet though which is annoying hopefully soon!

Hey Tilly,
I noticed you posted on my diary after reading it all. I am impressed. I don't half go on a bit!! I have returned to LL after a few months where i have managed to maintain my weight within just a few pounds. I am attending maintenance meetings and just getting my head in a good place for Christmas - plus hoping to lose another ten pounds before Christmas so I can look fab in my skinny size ten jeans!! (I wish.,..)

Anyway, can I say that you remind me lots of myself at the beginning of my journey. You seem open to change and willing to put in the hard work. For me I had the motivation of not wanting to be fat an 40 (my 40th is next year) and just wanting to be my true self. I can say I have achieved that. I am free of food addictions - the cravings are still there but they come and go and i deal with them. If I eat something not on my personal plan, I make changes to deal with it immediately.

YOu are also the same height as me and have about the same amount of weight to lose. (just a little more....). I managed to get there in 16 weeks. My goal was a BMI of 25 and then I dropped down lower to my current weight.

All I can say is that sticking to the plan 100% is crucial even through Christmas. You can do it and next year you will be so proud of yourself that you managed it. My counsellor has said that the three members who stuck to LL through Christmas last year all got to goal and have maintained ever since. That kind of commitment lasts and shows you are capable.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have about sticking to LL or what to do when you get to maintenance. But lets not get ahead of ourselves!!

All I can say is that sticking to the plan 100% is crucial even through Christmas. You can do it and next year you will be so proud of yourself that you managed it. My counsellor has said that the three members who stuck to LL through Christmas last year all got to goal and have maintained ever since. That kind of commitment lasts and shows you are capable.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have about sticking to LL or what to do when you get to maintenance. But lets not get ahead of ourselves!!

This is so good to read, I have been planning on staying on plan for Christmas, we have house guests for 6 weeks so I know that it will be harder than normal but I know that giving up the plan just for one day of eating on Christmas Day would be very bad for me. I am so focussed at present and feel I do have the strength to get through the tough festive season. Am so determined to get this weight off and keep it off so will go in search of your diary for extra motivation. Thank you.

Hi All

I have drifted over here from the Exante forums - Tilley I've read through your posts and so many comments triggered the same thoughts from me - especially the comments you made when you were going to waiver - I'm an adult, I can eat if I want - I'd always thought that meant i was weak and had no will power - I am now starting to realise I have loads of willpower and its that willpower that actually makes me give in rather than carry on! So from now on the devil willpower in me is trying on its new angel dress :p

I've just completed my first week on vlcd and lost 10lbs - which is fab!! I've still got a hell of alot to lose but hey we'll all get there!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - and hope you dont mind me popping over

Vee x

Day 13. Back to work. Trousers significantly looser, can now wear top, jumper and do up my coat over them all. Seen parents for first time since starting and they say already my face looks more defined. Was starving today as my porridge exploded in work microwave and got stuck in meetings so ended up eating a tiny bit at 11, then soup at 3, then two shakes in a row at 9:30pm! However, I did not break, I just dealt with it and carried on. :) good times.

Did drive past a McDonald's and just seeing the place caused me to salivate instantaneously. Interesting new talent!

Roll on weigh in tomorrow and the anger management week. Could be really useful for me as im sure my fridge fondling and carb caressing stems from not saying what I feel and arriving home enraged and feeling impotent. We'll see.

Oh my god! Mobile didnt update me to all these posts so now my little update looks random!

Nzmegs, thank you thank you thank you!!!

Skinnygirl: (and nz): the xmas thing has been praying on my mind too. I cant see right now that 'giving in' for the day will get me anywhere good. Great, I'll eat, feel sick, set myself back and feel I've 'let myself down'. I know letting myself down is what leads me to eating, punishing and soothing my addled emotions with food. It won't be the best thing to do to achieve what I want.

My fear is: what if my success will feel like I've missed out and so I deserve something, or that by doing well on the day I'll think I should have a treat later. I'm not sure that I can trust any decisions now and will talk to my llc. By then I should be a lot more screwed in to what I'm doing and be seeing and feeling changes that make me want to continue without jeapordising my goal.

Oh... A can of worms!

So grateful to you for popping over though youre on a different VLCD, my phone has hidden your username now so I cant remember, that's poor of me, sorry love! But yey to anyone doing anything to make a life difference, it's never going to be easy if its worth it! Xx

Yep, brilliant book. Highly recommended. In fact anything Gary taubes does is brilliant. he questions questions questions. Just as any good journalist should do. thankfully he does it on our behalf and gets to the answers which no one else is willing or able to face. I read The Diet delusion and haven't eaten sugar since. Look him up on You Tube for an easily digestible lecture on the dangers of carbs.

Thank you for this advice on food and social and expectations, looked up the book you referenced and will order it as soon as I'm paid, I feel I must consume any and all useful information about why we/I think of food in this way.
Thank you for wasting your time by reading my diary! :)

Quick update: 4lbs off tonight. So at just over 12lbs lost so far in two weeks. If I can keep it at 3-4lbs a week from now I'll be a happy lady. My fear is it dropping down to 1-2 and making me feel I am doing something extreme for little reward.

Now squeezing back into my size 16 work trousers. Theyre tight, but only compared to loose 18s which I need to ditch now. Hurrah! Time for leggings and tops for a while to make this less obvious.

Weirdly I spent most of counselling thinking about meat, should I stop and buy takeaway on way home? Might as well? No, don't. But, I can. But no. Thankfully I went with no and I'm so happy I made that choice. I spoke to someone who's lost 7 stone since April and she told me she used to have those thoughts but they went away after a Month and that its all about making the habit. I think it feels so much longer that it really is and so im being hard on myself. Its the fact I didnt give in to petulant childish thoughts that I need to focus on. Achievements Tilley, not doubts. Tsk.

I was also a vegetarian when I started LL and realised during maintenance that I needed to start eating meat. All of my research surrounding diet and health led me to that conclusion. I simply couldn't get the required protein any other way. What I accepted and admitted was that i went vege because I wanted to lose weight but told myself I was doing it for the environment. That was rubbish. It was vanity and it didn't work in any case. Now I use up fewer resources by eating good quality meat and not eating grains. I eat less food rather than more and I am hopefully keeping farmers in work. Just 400grams of meat and dairy a day will give you everything you need plus some vegetables. That is very sustainable in the long term.

Of course if your reasoning behind being vege is because you object to animals being killed, you have lots more to grapple with. it is just a case of being honest with yourself. You can do low carb and be a vegetarian - it is just much harder.

Quick update: 4lbs off tonight. So at just over 12lbs lost so far in two weeks. If I can keep it at 3-4lbs a week from now I'll be a happy lady. My fear is it dropping down to 1-2 and making me feel I am doing something extreme for little reward.

Woo hoo you are in the 13 stone something category, Pom poms a go go shaking here for you. I so think the way you do about the weight loss each week 3-4lbs, I am going to feel gutted if I only lose a 1lb a week, although early indicators this week and I know I know I shouldn't do mid week weigh ins show only a half pound loss so far this week and weigh in is on Saturday morning. I have been totally 100% so no idea why such a pathetic loss I hope some more comes off before Saturday.

Skinny, get drinking water and see if that helps. it might just be hormonal and will come off next week with a big whoosh!

Skinny, get drinking water and see if that helps. it might just be hormonal and will come off next week with a big whoosh!

I am trying to up my water intake I know some days I don't drink as much as I maybe should. Thank you will give it a whirl.

Back