Changing habits using Fred

Just thought i'd bump this up :)

Interesting. I have an observation...

Time: 3pm
Characters: Me and this guy called Fred (and the check out clerk who I am sure reported me to the Garda (police) after I left

I was stood at the check out getting the basics for the kids. Milk, juice, bread. Nothing more. My instinct was to reach for a bar. I reached. I stopped myself. My hand reached forward again, touched the bar. Didn't pick it up. Again, this time as he was ringing up my items. Touched it again. Put it back down. Then he looked at me, like, "Lady, there's a queue behind you and you need to decide if you want to be fatter or not."

So, I left it. That 'in the queue at the Centra at After-work/school time' is the combo you talk about with the dopamine trigger. Exactly.

You can't know how this has helped me. If I can train people (I'm a teacher), then I can train that mangey old Fred fellow. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as my kids say.

Snap!

Awesome awesome awesome post, KD! :D

Sometimes my Fred needs kick-starting to get into gear. Some things, he does automatically. When I was at school, for example, Fred used to get me ready in the mornings for me. Often, Fred would wake me up a couple of minutes before my alarm was due to go off (though I still kept setting it, just in case!). Then, Fred would get me up, dressed and breakfasted before I even noticed.

Going for a walk, Fred and I work together. I have to give myself a kick up the bum to actually get out the front door. However, especially when I'm at home from uni during the holidays... when I'm out the door, Fred takes me round my well-worn walking route practically on auto-pilot. One foot just goes in front of the other, my mind wanders, and before I know it, I'm at the main road and have to take over from Fred to check for traffic then cross. As soon as I'm back on the pavement, it's Fred's turn again. If I've not gone across the main road, then Fred takes me round the common. My Fred's good for walks! :D

My Fred seems well-trained for exercise, especially walking and swimming. I set Fred a number of lengths to do in the pool, and although I'm the one who keeps count of the lengths, Fred's the one who actually does the lengths. I do like this teamwork. :D

However, my Fred can be bad for me too. I'll get a packet of crisps, and Fred eats them all in no time! (Unfortunately, the inches go on MY hips, not Fred's.) :( I'll put my hand in the bag and suddenly think, "Huh?! But I only started these crisps a minute ago!"

So yeah... I have to learn to control my Fred. :)

Well, I'd always wondered why I woke up a few minutes before my alarm, now I know it's Fred doing it ;). I really hate the noise of my alarm even though it's a soft tune on my phone, any noise waking me is irritating. Obviously Fred hates it too. I still need to teach Fred to hate snacking when bored, tired, sad, happy, frustrated, etc :D.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention AJ - great post!

Well, I hope you find it as useful as I have:).

Last night Fred really wanted a nan bread that was sitting in my fridge. To be honest it has been there all weekend niggling him. But I told him that it wasn't happening lol.

Omg this is amazing and explains so much!! Thank you!

Great thread and thank you to who ever recommended it in the Cambridge site.

Think Fred and dinner times at work will be something of a past occasion as of Monday! :lol:

Fantastic KD. Now, everytime I want to snack it will take me back to my old piano-classes. So maybe Fred and I can be best frieds after all :cool:

Great thread - real food for thought.....will start re-training Fred today:)

I am new to this forum but posts like yours, KD, make me realise what a brilliant place it is! I too am an 'over' 'thinker and a control freak but at times auto pilot Fred seems to control me. I need to read your posts through carefully again and work on it. In the meantime, thank you! A brilliant explanation.

SilverS

Fred is the subconscious and controls 90% of the mind. We need to get |Fred on side with any change. Many people think Fred is supporting them, but actually his main priority is to ensure your survival. If you have programmed fred to believe that being fat protects you, he will take over and sabotage your diet etc

This is what was running my mind, but with hypnotherapy I'm now tellling Fred what to do

I have just realised that I have a Fred residing with me too :eek: His tenancy agreement needs to be renegotiated though ;)

me and my fred are about to have a chat !!!
i can explain and understand every diet going, i can advise others and be supportive, but i sabotage myself every time i start to lose.
obviously my fred has learnt that i don't want to lose weight.
well fred your wrong and i need to you to know that !!!

writing it down will hopefully start his learning process:D

i have been reborn this evening thanks to things i have read on here !!

FANTASTIC thread!! Very insightful and funny too! It definitely explains why I can be 100% all week and go mad at weekends! Its Fred!!!!!! No more mate!!!:devilangel:

Back