Cooking equipment advice

I did think about a dedicated yog maker, but it would mean that I would still need a smaller cooker LOL. Thou its not seen a bit of meat yet LOL. Must look up some recipes.

You are all giving me dilemmas!! Yoghurt, blending things, saving money on yoghurt, whisking things... I don't know!! What do you reckon it costs to make a 500g tub of yoghurt in the slow cooker or yoghurt maker? (Am I the most demanding customer ever?!):whip:

Yoghurt maker is superb!! I tried slow cooker method and it wouldnt work for me. yoghurt maker is so easy - turn base on fill plastic yog container with carton of room temp longlife skimmed milk whap in microwave for two minutes stir in one tablespoon of ff live yog and three tablespoons of skimmed milk powder (stir gently dont whisk) stand in yoghurt maker and put tops on and in about 8 hrs its ready - drain liquid off top put in fridge when cool and hey presto lovely thick yoghurt at a fraction of supermarket prices! My yoghurt maker has paid for itself over and over again and its defo coming on my hols wirh me!!

Man, you guys really love your yoghurt makers!

Right, I feel armed and knowledgable. Might see what I come back with after work tomorrow...!

sounds like its almost the same method except for the zapping in the MW. The actual electric cooking time is only three hours in the SC. Yes it will stand overnight to set, but if a pot works out to 26p as apposed to 55p from asda, the three hours is worth it LOL.

if you think you are going to eat a lot of yogurts i would say its worth it to invest in one of them. However day to day stuff I like my frying pan and spatula. Most meats are cooked inthere after they've been marinaded. I think i need a new one now though, my tefal is startign to stick at the edge ...boo hoo.

Nothing like a trusty non stick pan DF!! Thanks for all your advice here! Jx

Strawberries....I dream of strawberries! Think my main driving force is to get to TW before the season's over! Jx

Well, after a very unscientific voting process, the results are in and have not been verified. The winner of this year's Dukan Equipment Buying Brother Get Me Out Of Here is.........painfully.......long.....pause.....a stick blender with whisk and chopping attachments! It has already whisked 3 lots of eggs, blended a soup and chopped a ton of herbs into a kind of oil free pesto. I LOVE it! It's saving me such a lot of time in the kitchen.

The true winner was actually the yoghurt maker but until I know for sure that I like the stuff enough to keep eating it, I'm going to resist. Kitchen space is also a bit of an issue.

Thanks for sharing your favourite bits of kit with me you guys, massive help! Jx

scooter said:
I love my gadgets - my latest one is my strawberry huller from lakeland - genius!!

You don't realise how you've managed all these years without....melon ballers, cucumber curlers etc., laleland love it could spend a fortune lol x

Collette my slow cooker is on most days love It. But my favorate most used gadget and i am on with my 3rd in 18 years is my egg boiler soft, medium and hard cooked perfect every time xxx

sididd said:
You don't realise how you've managed all these years without....melon ballers, cucumber curlers etc., laleland love it could spend a fortune lol x

:) lakeland - my fav shop!!! Went on a weeks hol to the lake district a couple of years ago and went to the really big one there - two whole floors of gadgets i was like a kid in a toy shop!!!! The pineapple slicer - a brilliant invention!!

Hahaha yes got my pinapple pealer from there to .......mmmmmm pinapple......

YAY congrats on the purchase of a stick blender. Mine is excellent, whisk, chopper, small chopping tub, large chopping jub and an ice crusher. My hubby bought it a few years back for Christmas, without me asking or knowing. Not something I had thought of. As most women will understand, kitchen equipment, unless requested, is just not present material.

I was a bit miffed when I opened it, but have used it at least 3 times a week on average since then.....4 years ago. Definately an inspired purchase on that occasion.

My handle, stick and whisk live in the draw but the rest lives in the box on top of the cupboard. The small slow cooker is in a cupboard and got out when needing it.

x

Ive got a stick blender but its not got attachments! Might have to have a look around as i love my gadgets - think i got my stick blender as a wedding pressie 20 years ago - it only comes out when i make soup - which i dont do very often!!

i love love love my lakeland yoghurt maker & my silicone muffin tray

Just remembered my attachment blender can crush ice! Who's coming over for a Dukan daquiri tonight?!

Me!

Back