Drinking

Thanks

Glad I read this post. I don't actually drink much but was kind of still in the atkins mindset from last attempt to shift the poundage. Mind you do so wish diet coke was permitted.

Miss Diet Coke soooooooooo much:cry:

Hi,

I am so glad that I read these posts. It's my first real night out since starting Lipotrim, and I was planning on having 1 or 2 drinks. Definately a no no!

Thanks

Oops, I was on day 3 and went to London and it was a nice day so had a beer which led to a wine which led to more wine and burgers and completely lapsed (back on now) and I felt the worst Ive ever felt afterwards and I dont normally suffer from hangovers, I was never ever told the effects of ketosis and booze so good thread, thanks!

Jenny,you are taking big risk if you. Alcohol is alvohol no matter whethrr itz an alcopop or a spirit. stay off it for safety sake.

Hey guys. I've been on Lipotrim for 4 weeks now and I've lost 1st 8lbs. NOw I'm not encouraging people to drink here but just thought I'd tell you about me drinking last weekend. I went to a friends party and drank about 7 or 8 shorts of bacardi with diet coke. I didnt put any weight on and actually continued to lose weight all weekend. We're all different tho i suppose. Just thought mention my experience! :)

Glad Ive read this post :) Will change my nights out on the town to nights in with a film and my water LOL! and when im all done have a good old night out :) x

Two views - what works!?

:confused: It has been good to read two differing views about alcohol on here. There is the camp that just say abstain which will work fine for some.

Then we have the other camp that says you can if careful and not in ketosis..

What I'd like to know is if a person IS going to have an alcoholic drink then WHAT do they need to do to ensure that they are safe??

Ta very muchly - birthday in July!

Any thoughts anyone?

I don't think there is anything you can do to remain safe other than make sure you're out of Ketosis lol, that is if you're going to be drinking, so it kinda defeats the point of LT!

Here's the lowdown guys, from a LOT of research....

alcohol does increase the release of ketones they are not good, because alcohol slows down your metabolism and will definitely not help ketosis.

Alcohol acts through the following ways:

A. It reduces coronary artery spasm in response to stress

B. it increases coronary blood flow

C. It reduces blood pressure

D. It reduces blood insulin level

E. It increases estrogen levels

In the collective experience of ADBB, it happens to some folks that they feel the effects of alcohol much more while on zero carb then when not.

Imagine going for a drink without anything on your stomach normally, well in this case you have NOTHING in your system. Your body isn't able to cope with a lot of alcohol. AS such as soon as it starts breaking it down it can throw of your blood sugar levels.

Put simply the liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption. This can be VERY dangerous. Especially when combined with a low calorie diet.

Anyoneone on lipotrim should be VERY VERY VERY careful when thinking about alcohol, or coming off LT to go back to alcohol. Take it easy and if allowed try and consume some fat (cheese is a good option if your sticking to zero carbs, though I am not sure what the lipotrim re-feed allows).

Anyway. Hope this in someway helps and clarifys what others have said as it's always handy to have the reasoning why things should be off limits.

-Mike.

BTW. Just to add to the last post, when I have done a ketogenic diet before I have drank vodka. Half a bottle of it. I have also been out drinking vodka and soda mixed with ice (no flavourings)... I like vodka! haha. And not had any problems.

I have NEVER mixed alcohol on a VLC diet. I wouldn't mix alcohol on a VLC diet.

Once your out of ketosis it's no problem. Thats it. No problem at all. Just remember, that if you weren't on a diet and had a few months off drinking then when you go back and start drinking again you would have to take it easy as the alcohol would affect you stronger than your used to. This is more so in the case of coming off a VLC diet. Your body is still adjusting and as such you should ALWAYS take it easy with alcohol.

Not only can the alcohol mess with you in the usual way, but imagine eating a few packs of sugar and the rush you'd get. Well thats what alcohol is doing to you!! Alcohol (the VAST majority) has HUGE ammounts of sugar. Thorwing all the sugar into your system and then the alcohol will confuse your body one hell of a lot!!

Take it easy (maybe have a glass of water in between each drink). Just make sure you do take it easy. Otherwise negative effects can happen.

Thanks for this thread

I don't think there is anything you can do to remain safe other than make sure you're out of Ketosis lol, that is if you're going to be drinking, so it kinda defeats the point of LT!

Aaron, the point of LT is of course to lose weight. But how long it takes each one of us is our own goal isn't it.

On the advice of MYK I came back to read this thread again as I have every intention to have a few drinks at Easter - and I still have every intention to remain on MY LT programme.

Bottom line is to make sure you are out of Ketosis, have food in your stomach and be mindful of the quick effects of not having had a drink for a while (for me that'll be a month).

I like to keep it simple - I'll eat a bit, drop out of ketosis, drink and be back on the TFR the next day.:D

very very interesting explaination never thought it could be so dangerous!

Back