Food diary of a newbie

Hi, I'm calorie counting but thinking of switching to slimming world, loving your diary. :)

Peel & cut potatoes, part boil them for 10mins or so, Put them on a baking try & spray with frylite, put them in the oven for 20/25mins. In a wok add some frylite & Then add onions, peppers, Chillis and Chillis flakes (depending on how hot you want them) fry it all till cooked then add the chips to it and a splash of soy sauce and fry for a further 5mins..

Be careful with those chilli flakes though as we made it a tad too hot first time around. They are even better with a splash of vinegar and some salt and a taste just like chippy ones.
I'll be trying these, look and sound delicious :eating:

Hi tibbs . I've not been hungry or guilty once so far. The only thing I would say is please join a meeting. You get the books with all the information and tells you what syns are in what and you get a membership pin so you can have the SW app and you get access to all the recipes, but more importantly the SW syn calculator which is so valuable. Plus you have that extra push and motivation from the ladies at group who are wonderful.

Planning is everything in this diet because you have to have things in and also cook from scratch which can sometimes be difficult if you are busy or just cannot be bothered. That's where the syn calculator can be a godsend if you wanted something quick but not go over syns.

Tonight I'm going to probably get supermarket pre packed lamb shanks in mint gravy but my syn calculator on my SW app will help me choose ones with the lowest syn value. Gonna have it with mash potato and peas and carrots maybe .

Got the SW magazine at group yesterday and it had some really good features on some pre packed supermarket food like bisto mac n cheese frozen meal which is only 2.5 syns a pack at £1

Morrisons slow cooked salt beef (in a box with all the fresh meat) is 1.5 syns for 320g which you could have with old El Paso mini stand and stuff tortillas (2 syns each).

You don't have to limit yourself if you have all the tools at your disposal.

I've not tried any of the SW frozen meals yet but I could see myself getting a couple in the freezer if I found myself stuck one night for something to cook.

Hi tibbs . I've not been hungry or guilty once so far. The only thing I would say is please join a meeting. You get the books with all the information and tells you what syns are in what and you get a membership pin so you can have the SW app and you get access to all the recipes, but more importantly the SW syn calculator which is so valuable. Plus you have that extra push and motivation from the ladies at group who are wonderful.

Planning is everything in this diet because you have to have things in and also cook from scratch which can sometimes be difficult if you are busy or just cannot be bothered. That's where the syn calculator can be a godsend if you wanted something quick but not go over syns.

Tonight I'm going to probably get supermarket pre packed lamb shanks in mint gravy but my syn calculator on my SW app will help me choose ones with the lowest syn value. Gonna have it with mash potato and peas and carrots maybe .

Got the SW magazine at group yesterday and it had some really good features on some pre packed supermarket food like bisto mac n cheese frozen meal which is only 2.5 syns a pack at £1

Morrisons slow cooked salt beef (in a box with all the fresh meat) is 1.5 syns for 320g which you could have with old El Paso mini stand and stuff tortillas (2 syns each).

You don't have to limit yourself if you have all the tools at your disposal.

I've not tried any of the SW frozen meals yet but I could see myself getting a couple in the freezer if I found myself stuck one night for something to cook.

Thanks for that, I wasn't going to go to a group as last time I tried I just turned up and was late so just sat in a circle and listened half way through. I was having major panic attacks at the time and ended up getting up and leaving before joining! It makes sense though to join a group, even if I only go once for the info and you never know I might be able to sit through a group now.
It's amazing what you can eat, my husband is going to be in his glory if I cook him lamb shanks etc! Whatever diet I'm on he's on too! Oooo I feel so happy about switching to slimming world! I'm going to see when the meeting is on near me. Thank you for motivating me :D

IMG_0566.JPG

Lunch today is lean steak with red onions on 2 small wholemeal slices HE
Light spread 1 syn and reduced sugar ketchup 1 syn

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG

So this is the plan for dinner. I've put together 200ml of beef stock, 1 tspoon of mint sauce and a tiny blob of very lazy garlic paste in the slow cooker with the shanks and I'm going to just let them cook for the next few hours. I'm being lazy with the mash ! It's 4.5 syns for the whole pack so I'm going to have half of it for about 2 syns.
The gravy is 1.5 syns for 100ml made up and the mint sauce is 1 syn for a tablespoon so with the tsp I already put in the stock I'm going to count my mint overall as 1.5 syns because I'm going to have some either in the lamb gravy or on the side of my plate .

I'm going to call it 5 syns for the lot

IMG_0569.JPG

Well here it is. It was totally gorgeous and I'm stuffed. I'm gonna call it a cheeky 6 syns just incase lol

Looks like pub grub doesn't it. I threw in the carrots and peas into the slow cooker about an hour before it was ready and put a teaspoon of mint sauce in the gravy

I put it on at 12 on a low setting and it was ready at 5:30 pm

So because it was delicious and also I dropped 1lb overnight I've decided to make yesterday's menu all over again

So steak sandwich with onions and light ketchup on Wholemeal bread HE

Some fruit speed food

Lamb shanks with mash and mint gravy with loads of carrots peas and onions . I'm going to add broccoli and cabbage this time though

So because it was delicious and also I dropped 1lb overnight I've decided to make yesterday's menu all over again

So steak sandwich with onions and light ketchup on Wholemeal bread HE

Some fruit speed food

Lamb shanks with mash and mint gravy with loads of carrots peas and onions . I'm going to add broccoli and cabbage this time though

I think the meals you can eat on slimming world are incredible compared to calorie counting. Cheers for giving the instructions in detail for the lamb shank meal, it's a big help seeing your ingredients too.
Brilliant on 1lb off :)

I normally have a fry up for lunch but I think switching to more rich protein like steak, And adding speed veg like spinach onions etc are really helping boost my weight loss. Plus I'm fuller for longer. I'm learning so much as the weeks go on. I reckon the slow cooker will be a godsend too

Last edited:
Slow cookers are so handy :) I'm going to follow the type of things you're cooking for my husband as it's exactly what he likes. Good tip about switching to rich protein, thanks. I'll be tweaking things for me as I'm veggie, though I will occasionally eat salmon & tuna. I showed him your photos of the lamb shank meal and his eyes lit up at the thought he could eat that and still be on a diet :D

Slow cookers are so handy :) I'm going to follow the type of things you're cooking for my husband as it's exactly what he likes. Good tip about switching to rich protein, thanks. I'll be tweaking things for me as I'm veggie, though I will occasionally eat salmon & tuna. I showed him your photos of the lamb shank meal and his eyes lit up at the thought he could eat that and still be on a diet :D
Well you could do variations with different meats, add your own SW roast potatoes ( you could have the dinner without meat)

Because I had the shanks in 200ml of beef stock, garlic paste and a hint of mint sauce my husband put dried noodles in the left overs and boiled them up for a soup for his lunch today. It also had the left over veggies in it

Ok so because the kids are off school this week and I'm not in work till 2pm I'm having fruit for breakfast Which I got from the reduced section last night lol.
IMG_0572.JPG

So because I'm a steak fiend and I've got steak in already I'm going to have steak and onions on WM small bread HE. This is the same picture from the other day because I've not made it yet and how different could it look ? Lol
1 tsp low fat spread and 1 tsp reduced sugar ketchup 1 syn in the whole thing
IMG_0566.JPG

My plan for tea is to make a lovely chicken stir fry with lots of veggies, egg noodles, oyster sauce and have the old El Paso mini stand and stuff cases.
The noodles are 2 syns for half the pack and the mini stand and stuff cases are 2 syns each according to SW magazine . I think I'm gonna have 2 cases so
As the oyster sauce is free for 2 tablespoons I'm going to have 6 syns in this meal. I will take a photo when it's all cooked later
IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Here it is 6 syns

IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG

This is the dinner I've made for work tonight.
BBQ chicken kebab made with 1 tbs Tesco Texan BBQ sauce 2 syns
And slimming world chips free

I made a lovely steak sandwich with my HE bread and a dab of reduced sugar ketchup 1 syn

Some fresh pineapple chunks

IMG_0600.JPG

So I had a pretty good weekend until last night when we had family over for a party and went to a funfair and organised fireworks display. I had a healthy roast dinner and avoided all the pizza and sweets the kids were having but I had rather a lot of wine. Oh well it's done and at weigh in this morning I managed to lose 1.5lb so very pleased with it
13st 4 1/2

Saturday
Shredded wheat honey HE
Almond milk HE

Fruits (apple strawberry melon pineapple )

Steak and chips

Wine
------------

Sunday
Bacon and egg sandwich on wm bread HE
Coffee with almond milk HE

Roast chicken dinner
Wine (too much)

IMG_0603.JPG

My lovely steak and chips from Saturday

Back