How to keep weekly shopping costs down?

I spend around £120 a week for 2 of us,

I'm at a loss to imagine how you can possibly spend that much money on just two people :eek:

There are people on here who feed a family of 5 adults on just £70 a week.

Just goes to show that it really is down to personal shopping and eating habits, and not the plan itself that is expensive.

For those of you that feel that you are spending more on SW - consider how much money you would have spent in the past on extras! That coffee and danish on the way to work, nipping out for a sarnie or panini at lunchtime, hitting the vending machine for that mid-afternoon chocolate boost, and the takeaway at the weekend. These should be things of the past now.

I live near a large Asda so just "popping in" for a few items ... In there nearly every day, mad!

That is absolutely fatal - do you plan your meals? If you plan and shop only for those meals you shouldn't need to go shopping more than once a week.

I buy 2 joints of meat each one is £8-12 I cook these then use my slicing machine to keep my partner in cooked meat for his lunch time baps, plus £10 on the 3 for £10 meats usually 2 lots chicken breast 1 lot pork chops - I eat at least 1 if not 2 punnets of tomatoes daily they are £1.57 each (only like a certain kind) my fruit and veg is usually around £40 - I have a partner thats does manual work he takes 4 baps filled with meat plus 2 boiled eggs 4 cakes 2 bag crisps a pork pie a sausage roll plus choc/sweets (hes a 28" waist) I get 5 lots of cravendale milk @£1.65 each 2 dozen eggs @£3.96 plus all the other bits and bobs

I dug this list of moneysaving tips out of a previous post and hopeful you will find it useful

There are some basic good household practices will help keep the costs down:
  • plan your meals for the week, make a shopping list and get only for the ingredients you need to make them
  • start by looking at what you have in the cupboard/freezer already and choose meal options that will use them up
  • cook your meals from scratch as pre-prepared sauces will be more expensive and you'll also know exactly what has gone into them
  • plan to use leftovers for other meals or for lunch the next day eg if you are cooking rice for dinner one day, make extra, throw in some leftover veggies and a fat-free dressing and you have lunch for day two
  • cook one meal for the whole family not different ones
  • seasonal fruit and veg is always cheaper so plan your meals around what it available
  • take advantage of special offers - most supermarkets do cut price fruit and veg each week - and shop around to get the best prices. Check out offers and prices on comparison websites.
  • try out the 'discount' supermarkets like lidl or aldi. Not everything is cheaper but many things are such as tinned tomatoes, pulses etc
  • check out local shops such as greengrocers and butchers because supermarkets are not always the cheapest option
  • frozen fruit and veg can be cheaper than fresh and a good alternative
  • go green rather than red as meat is more expensive
  • if doing EE then bulk out your meals with cheaper ingredients such as pulses, lentils, meat-free mince so you use less meat
  • if buying meat go for cheaper cuts and invest in a slow cooker. Or buy joints and whole chickens that can be used across several meals rather than packs of chicken breasts
  • beans, lentils and pulses are all good sources of protein and much cheaper than fish and meat
  • batch cook meals taking advantage of special offers and freeze portions so they are ready for use
  • go for shop own-brands rather than premium brands as they are usually just as good and a lot cheaper
  • you don't have to buy mullerlights. There are several supermarket versions that are also syn free or other brands that are on special offer such as activia or shape zero. Or try making your own yoghurt - you can make a litre for around 50p
  • know where your supermarket puts the things that are nearly out-of-date. You can sometimes pick up bargains on things like meats
  • if you have storage then big bags of staples like pasta and rice can save money in the long-term but don't assume they are cheaper as sometimes they are not
  • invest in a water filter rather than buy expensive bottled water
  • have breakfast at home so you're not tempted to eat on the go
  • if you work take lunch with you rather than buying out
  • make your own versions of favourite family takeaway meals - save on the £s and the lbs
  • and don't shop when you are hungry!

Try your Aldi again but on a different day, the fruit and veg may have been on the brink of being restocked. Generally the quality of my fruit and veg from Aldi is better than Tesco.

Also, Aldi do a HB cereal - its the range called "less than 70 calories" and you can have two of these as a HB.

I dont think we'd manage if I didnt go to Aldi for most things and shopping at Tesco after 7pm or after 9pm in a litte Tesco express! Great times to get bargins...... I got pints of milk for 4p each a few weeks back, popped them in the freezer :)

Making your own soups is a great money saver too :)

Don't think frozen veg is less healthy than fresh veg, unless you are buying pick your own or have an allotment the opposite may be true! Fresh or Frozen: What's the healthier option? | iVillage UK

I go to the local farm shop and buy a half sack of spuds (13.5 kg) for £5 because it's sold in a double thickness paper sack they actually stay fresher for much much longer than supermarket spuds!
My brother has five kids and buys the full sack takes them home tips them in the bath and gets the kids to wash them...believe it or not the kids love it!!! Then they dry them and put them back in the sack!

i am just back from weekly shop and spend £70 in tescos and £ 15 in lidl - got most veg there.

thats for 3 of us, much better but when our veggie garden takes off i hope that will go right down!

would love £80 a week all in

mistysmummy said:
mememe I seen you are from belfast where is the aldi thats an hour away didn't know we had them here thanks xxx

I think the nearest aldi is dundalk about 50 mins from belfast

My shopping has just been delivered by tesco and that was £75 it's usually between £60-£70 a week for the two of us. I shop on line two as I find you can keep an eye on what you are spending.

My shopping has just been delivered by tesco's it just cost £75 for two of us, usually spend between £60-£70 a week, I shop on line as I find you can keep an eye on what you are spending.

Morrisons have been having cracking deals on fruit and veg recently 30p a pack of pears, apples, kiwi, orange, give it a try they also seem to have plenty of syn free yog too, mullers, shape zero,& ww yog x

Back