Iceland and slimming world

I agree that having one in the freezer might be a lifesaver for those odd times when you're totally not prepared (cos you have to be to follow sw). feeling crappy, needing something really quick (yes I know jacket potato and beans would be just as quick). It will still be better than resorting to 2 bags of crisps and a packet of biccies.

If people want to rely on ready meals they wont be doing sw anyway and those of us who dont well we probably wont change how we do it

I'm interested to see them though

I would of though SW would want their standards kept in high regard no matter whom sold the finished item and I believe in them more so x

I do wonder why Iceland too. It’s one of the supermarkets with the least healthy image and I don’t find a lot of their frozen ready products healthy or lean in the least. The manufacturer might make these better quality than their usual, but I don’t think it’s a great start for the SW brand. I understand they want to tap into WW share of the branded diet foods but I thought they were already ahead in terms of popularity and meetings? So what they were doing already was working. And even if its all free food there’s no way there won’t be a fair amount of salt, sugar and other preservatives there, no matter how much they promise otherwise.

Having said that I’m not against having a few ready meals on standby for emergencies, I used a CoU one last week which had WW PP on it and was very handy, and I can see why some people that cook 90% of their meals quite happily could use them to augment SW. I do know someone on SW who seems to exist on a lot of Mugshot noodles, mullerlights and baby bells so I agree with those saying you can eat branded stuff that isn’t particularly healthy on SW already.

It will be interesting to see if its all “extra easy” meals or they do free foods for all the different plans. I expect you will have to add a lot of the superfree yourself.

I can see the benefit of people are busy, would always prefer fresh food which is what attracts me to Sw. Would be interesting if they did deserts I miss these most and if they would do veggie options?

I'd rather whack a ready meal in the micro or oven than eat a big bar of chocolate or 5 packets of crisps when for whatever reasoning I haven't been able to cook a meal from scratch. I'm more than happy that this news has been announced and I'm excited as to what they will be like. Sometimes circumstances change throughout the day quite drastically and life stresses may push other things on the back burner, these are danger times for me and for whatever reason if I haven't prepared a SW meal I will eat really bad things,so I for one will be having a stash of these in the freezer for when that happens. :)

I don't see a problem with SW bringing out their own foods, there are syn values for convenience (spelling?) already. As well as mug shots, super noodles etc, there are lamb shanks in gravy and ready meals in there too. If people are going to eat this type of food then surely it is better for them to be getting the healthier version which if the meals are syn free they should be. As far as them using Iceland well its a business collaberation, which is why Pete Andre was at the SW awards I would imagine. SW is a business, if they didn't make money they would go out of business, what would we do then?!

I do wonder why Iceland too. It’s one of the supermarkets with the least healthy image and I don’t find a lot of their frozen ready products healthy or lean in the least.

I would have expected somewhere like Waitrose or even ASDA to pick the SW meals up, not Iceland.

I would think that they went with the company that offered them the best business deal.

And I have been told that Peter Andre was chosen as the celebrity for the awards before he started doing Iceland advertisements - it's just a coincidence.

I'm not a fan of any type of ready meals or frozen meals, but that's party as I enjoy cooking. When I'm cooking meals for our family, I tend to make at least twice the amount that we need, then freeze the extra portions so that we always have a "lazy" meal for busy days.

Means that with curries, bologneses etc, so long as I remember to lift them out of the freezer the night before, I can cook a homecooked meal for the time it takes to boil pasta or rice (which isn't much longer than a microwave meal, and quicker than an oven meal)

I batch cook mostly but use the odd low syn ready meal and would rather have slimming world one if I have to have one. Someone of fb said iceland no longer stock weight watchers due a falling out between the companies and if this is true I was thinking it would make iceland more ideal for slimming world as no competition for those wanting healthy meals. It's been years since I've been in iceland.

I know slimming world encourages cooking from scratch but I don't really see making ready meals being any different than encouraging people to have mug shots - at least ready meals will have some super free in them (I'd assume)

I would have expected somewhere like Waitrose or even ASDA to pick the SW meals up, not Iceland.

Why would that make a difference? Do Waitrose not sell junk food? Oh yep, they do. Ready meals too, saints be praised. Ready meals as full of salt, crap meat, chemicals and preservatives as the ones you find in Iceland, just for a quid more.

A ready meal is a ready meal - you can't polish a turd, so where they are actually stocked doesn't make a jot of difference. Whilst I agree with you in principle that selling the meals isn't the best way forward, I find this weird snobbery about Iceland (not just you, plenty of it on the FB site too) to be quite hilarious.

Why would that make a difference? Do Waitrose not sell junk food? Oh yep, they do. Ready meals too, saints be praised. Ready meals as full of salt, crap meat, chemicals and preservatives as the ones you find in Iceland, just for a quid more.

A ready meal is a ready meal - you can't polish a turd, so where they are actually stocked doesn't make a jot of difference. Whilst I agree with you in principle that selling the meals isn't the best way forward, I find this weird snobbery about Iceland (not just you, plenty of it on the FB site too) to be quite hilarious.

Its not snobbery it's annoyance that sw are behaving with very double standards.

Iceland make their money by selling high ratio's of over processed food. They use unhealthy food as the forefront to their marketing. They sell and promote very little fresh healthy ingredients.

That's the difference. It's like Smirnoff going to AA groups and promoting a none alcoholic drink.
Sw make alot of profit from its members by convincing us to listen to them on healthy eating yet on the other hand and in partnership with a company who profit heavily from very unhealthy food and are proud of fact they do.
And Iceland reaction to their products containing horse meat shows just how little they care.

Isn't Iceland simply the retailer with exclusivity for the launch? I suspect the products will be branded SW, not Iceland. If the range is a success I expect in time it will roll out to other supermarkets. All just speculation on my part.

What a load of moaning minnies! Cooking from scratch the SW way will still get you the same great losses it always has, however the ready meals fill a gap in the market (albeit a small one) for the people who DO want them. There are some out there who have been asking for them, and have been for years. If you don't want the meals, then don't buy them, it really is that simple!

I suppose they will be a good standby in the freezer for nights when even best laid plans go out of the window!

Haha..Iceland snobbery! love it.

If its good enough for Peter...its good enough for me!! rofl:D

We had our group earlier this week and were told that the ready meals will have the recipes on the back of them so that you can try them and if you like them, have a go at making them yourself.

I think I might try that

Haha..Iceland snobbery! love it.

If its good enough for Peter...its good enough for me!! rofl:D

Well I can't stand Peter Andre so there's that. ;)

Personally I do think different supermarkets have different quality ready meals, and its not always that expensive=better, and they all have a lot of salt and sugar regardless. I just have a really low opinion of Iceland's own products personally, unless its some of their snack dips, I used to love those.

That said if Iceland *are* just the distributor and not the manufacturer then the quality of their other products is irrelevant except for image I guess.

Well I can't stand Peter Andre so there's that. ;)

Personally I do think different supermarkets have different quality ready meals, and its not always that expensive=better, and they all have a lot of salt and sugar regardless. I just have a really low opinion of Iceland's own products personally, unless its some of their snack dips, I used to love those.

That said if Iceland *are* just the distributor and not the manufacturer then the quality of their other products is irrelevant except for image I guess.

Well I don't like him particularly either...I just said it in jest!!

Someone mentioned that they thought Asda or Waitrose may have been the stockist. You cant get 2 more extremes. I mean, Asda is probably only one notch up above Iceland and Waitrose is probably right up there at the top for quality. Don't get me wrong, I shop in both places as well as other supermarkets but I really do not think it matters who is selling them...we all have choices.
Just because I might shop in Asda doesn't mean I buy their Smart price stuff...but other do, and that's their choice too

Back