If at first you don't succeed....and all that

I wanted to share some words from the amazing Blonde Logic - an inspirational lady who really helped me get through on the Lighter Life Boards my first time around. She has had a really tough time family and work wise and fell off the wagon a little - although I don't believe she came close to regaining all she had lost first time round as I have managed.
Anyway her words really really rang true with me:

"The hardest thing I learned is that while success has been proven, and tasted, and LOVED, - hanging on to it is such a difficult and delicate balancing act - and held together only by the sheerest and most fragile vulnerable threads....which can break in and instant and become irrepairable, leaving the only option: go back to square one. The place you swore you would never go again. "

Something for me to think about...I don't want to go back to square one ever again.

Hello! Well done for starting back, I'm glad its going ok for you.

I will be doing the same as you for the next two weekends and going off plan briefly. I am going to adapt this diet to suit me when celebrations etc come along, it will keep me sane and on track. It's not a race, whats important is that we finish :)

Totally with you on the sense of smell thing, my hubby was chopping onions and I thought I had popped some in my mouth without thinking, it really was like I was eating it :p

Hope your little one is feeling better and you get some sleep tonight x

Day 5
You are right CP, you have to do whatever it takes to keep you on the plan long term and if that means a few planned lapses then so be it - I guess the challenge is getting straight back on plan after. I did have a better night thanks, just the one toddler screaming episode for about half a minute at half two in the morning - I have a baby video monitor and she didn't even seem to be awake and settled herself quickly. I was only awake for half an hour or so after- dd1 and dh don't even hear her! I think once you have a child you are destined to sleep lighly if you are a mother. Having said that I overslept and didn't hear dh getting up and changing, dressing and prepping bottle for dd2!

I woke up feeling really cruddy, with a thick head and nauseous. I felt like I'd been on the lash! Thought I'd get on the scales to have an early look at how things were going and it's potty, after only 4 full days, I've lost.......

10lbs!!!!!:party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011::party0011:

Now I know the majority will be glycogen but still, I'll take that! It has really given me a boost. ....Tootles off to read about glycogen and ketosis.....

:wow: 10lbs in 4 days that is amazing!!!! Well done you chick :)

Aw thanks hon x

Cheers Sparkley, yes it does I'll take all the big numbers at the start thank you very much to make up for those inevitable sts/1lb off/1lb on weeks that lay down the line! Toward the end last time I had a nightmare with stalls and even tiny gains even though I was100% abstinent throughout! I stopped above my target in the end as I think I lost about 3lb over 6 weeks and I just couldn't take it anymore- that was 9 mths in though, I even had a soup for Christmas dinner!

I know what you mean, kinda at that stage now... STS, 2lb off, 1lb on, STS etc. but I always think to myself about how I struggled to keep my weight under control at nearly 24 stones, so even if I am constantly struggling with my weight at least it's 8 stones less to struggle with! I feel so much fitter and healthier and so happy to feel full of energy and go out and buy smaller clothes and so on. It's worth the constant battle to feel this much better. I will get there, and so will you x

I admire you sparkley, that was when I threw in the towel last time on abstinence and continued with exercise and careful dieting, it worked for a while but I wish I'd seen that month or so stall through and got to my target (I stopped a few pounds short) I did lose a few more pounds over the next month or so on refeed but I think I'd have given myself a bigger buffer for the glycogen replenishment if I'd persevered another month on packs. Ah well hindsight is a marvelous thing!

Ooh it was another 2 off this morning so 12lb in 5 days which beats my original LL first week loss of 11b for the whole week - and I was heavier to start with then too so I am really pleased! I just hope I keep that in mind and don't stray from a couple of vodka coke zeros and low carb party food options when I go to myfriend's hubby's 40th at 8! Watch this space!

That's amazing another 2lbs off :D I'm sure the 12lbs loss will inspire you not to stray tonight, if you do don't beat yourself up just get straight back on the horse in the morning...Have a lovely evening chick, enjoy x

You are doing brilliantly. Hope you had a good time at the party without losing the plot.

Morning and thanks Metallichick and Cate :)
I had a lovely evening and stayed in control, although I probably ate more than I should as the food was so delicious, I ate nothing carby at all - well I don't think so. My friends are Indian and the most amazing cooks so the spread was something to behold. Lucky for me it was very much based around meat - different spiced drumsticks/wings/kebab etc. So I avoided the dips and 'waters' and pastry type things and stuck to meat, I did have some cheese too and had to stop myself before I had to much. I surreptitiously slipped my birthday cake to hubbie ;) and also my bubbles and had 2 coke zeros with vodka. So, not perfect as I probably went a drumstick too far, but definitely an exercise in damage limitation, and I am proud of myself for staying in control in the face of so much deliciousness! It hasn't made me not feel like carrying on today either, I was worried it'd sway me off the path, but I happily downed my shake this morning, and I am raring to go.
Just hope I have a good final number on the scale tomorrow for my first week and don't put anything on from last night's grub. :)

Last edited:
Dropping by to subscribe and to congratulate you on doing so well!! Keep it up
xKaylax

Well done if at first, that's a fantastic first week loss. And well done too for the damage limitation when faced with such temptation! I used to find it so hard to get back on the straight and narrow after a treat on a diet, but with this VLCD I find I can have a meal off but then am straight back on plan without that feeling of falling off the wagon and not being able to get back on.

Today we went to a festival in Bakewell and I had some prosecco and a veggie burger and an ice cream. Really enjoyed the treats but ready to get back on the shakes tomorrow.

Have to say, it felt great to be out in the sun, walking around without being too hot and sweaty. And to sit on a picnic blanket and be able to get up without having to use my OH to help me up. And major milestone - sat in a deck hair without the fear if it either a) collapsing or b) me getting stuck in it!! Small victories that reinforce how worthwhile this all is.

Hope you have a great week x

Well done for keeping strong & choosing things that would cause you any major damage, so difficult to make good choices especially when faced with Indian food - yummy - Good luck with your weigh in today, i'm sure the night out will have made little impact on this weeks numbers xx

"I used to find it so hard to get back on the straight and narrow after a treat on a diet, but with this VLCD I find I can have a meal off but then am straight back on plan without that feeling of falling off the wagon and not being able to get back on."

That was what I was worried about Sparkley as I was 100% first time round - and didn't know how I'd manage it so it was a relief to be happy to get straight back on packs Sunday morning. Phew! It has given me more confidence that it is possible to get to goal with a small amount of sightseeing on the way to keep life bearable!

Thanks Metallichick, I've had a good final weigh in for week one, adding another pound off to the 12 on Saturday so for week one it's....
:wow:13lbs!!!!:wow:
Happy with that obvs!

Brilliant loss. Well done for that and for staying in control at the party. A home cooked indian buffet - sounds fantastic. Not sure I've have matched your resolve. :)

Thanks Cate - I supppose it's easier to be good inthe first week though when you are hoping for a big loss on the scales. x

"Dropping by to subscribe and to congratulate you on doing so well!! Keep it up
xKaylax"

Hi Kayla, thanks for dropping by chick ;) x

Back