is this normal with the dumping depatment? please please need help

If you're only eating 15g of fat or less a day you're not actually doing your body any favours at all.
We need some fat in our diets to keep our skin and joints healthy, hence the 45 g per day.
If you eat much less than that your body will suffer in the long term and you'll be too sick to actually see the benefits of your weight loss

If you're only eating 15g of fat or less a day you're not actually doing your body any favours at all.
We need some fat in our diets to keep our skin and joints healthy, hence the 45 g per day.
If you eat much less than that your body will suffer in the long term and you'll be too sick to actually see the benefits of your weight loss

Thanks for the only sensible advice ive heard on here in regards to this problem of mine. Since doing tfr Lipo i have on semi long spurts got a tad too obsessive on fat home cooked meals and stopped using oils in cooking instead turned to dry griddling my spices and onions to avoid the added fats amongst other ingredients.
I'll try my best to start having some natural vegetable fats aswell as some more slightly fattier fish and see how i get on as i am beginning to hate the taste of prune juice to help me go

If you're just sticking to the one rule of 5gs of fat, you're going to have problems in the toileting department..

You may still be having 5gs per meal, but the per 100gs of fat you're having in that meal is too much fat, and that is why you're having problems in the toileting area.

For example, I've yet to find a cheese that fits the rule, so I haven't ate cheese for nearly a year..

I do not have 100grams of fat please read below:~:break_diet:

I think people are gettting confused, there are 2 rules to stick to.

No more than 45g of fat total a day, spread over 3 meals.
AND
No foods that contain more than 5% fat, look at the labels and anything that contains more than 5g of fat per 100g is out.

So even if you are only having 5g of fat in a meal, if that 5g comes from something like cheese, it is still out of the rules as the % of fat is too high.
Hope that helps.

well I'm sticking to the 5%/ 5grams of fat max, which is something that i dont always meet in a single meal my variations of meals only really reach and average of 3 or 4 and sometimes even less

oh and as for cheese ive actually gone quite off it and ever since last year when my Doctor and Pharmacist told me i had to come off Lipotrim tfr ive only been consuming skimmed milk or lactose free skimmed milk. When it comes to food I'm mostly eat vegetarian and when i do eat non veg it's either chicken, turkey or low oily fishes that i get from my butchers and fishmongers and they're also aware of the Xenical I'm taking and only give me the lean fat free meat and the least oily fatty fish which i find helps alot

HUn, I didn't say you were having 100gs of fat... there are 2 rules to xenical...

1) no more than 5gs of fat per 100gs
2) no more than 15gs of fat per meal.

If you're only sticking to the 5gs per meal, you're not taking into account the total value of fat per 100g, therefore you're having too much fat and will get side effects.

For example, if you wanted a piece of cake, that per slice was 5gs of fat, and you ate that piece of cake, that piece of cake coming at 15gs of fat per 100g is 3 times over the limit of Xenical..because it's important to look at the fat per 100gs!

If we didn't need to bother with the per 100gs rule, we would all be running around eating cake, cookies and mars bars....well I know I would lol!

I don't eat meat or fish, never have :)

Last edited:
You've actually had lots of sensible advice from everyone on this thread.
While yes having 5gs of fat in a meal, is within the 15g of fat per meal rule, its also the percentage of fat. 5g of fat from food that is 3% fat ( that is 3gs of fat per 100g of food product), will not give you a side effect. 5g of fat from food that is higher in fat ( say for example cheese, which can be about 25% fat), that will give you a side effect.
It's confusing, I know, but its really not just about how much fat you consume, but also the percentage of fat in the food also.
x

You've actually had lots of sensible advice from everyone on this thread.
While yes having 5gs of fat in a meal, is within the 15g of fat per meal rule, its also the percentage of fat. 5g of fat from food that is 3% fat ( that is 3gs of fat per 100g of food product), will not give you a side effect. 5g of fat from food that is higher in fat ( say for example cheese, which can be about 25% fat), that will give you a side effect.
It's confusing, I know, but its really not just about how much fat you consume, but also the percentage of fat in the food also.
x

Nice to see you here Ali, don't see you around here much anymore, shame as when I first joined, nearly a year ago you always had good advice! I always felt inspired by you, Kes, Alex and Kira. Hope you're doing well xx

Thanks hun :D Still pop my head round the door here ;) On the last push of my weight loss journey and its proving to be the hardest :sigh: Joined WW about 3 weeks ago and have lost 4½ lbs so far, although I've upped my gym time this past week and its looking like I might have a STS or even a small gain this week :rolleyes: Think what I need to do is cut out my gym time till I get to goal, then use the gym as part of my maintaining.
Either way I'll get there :D
Well done on your weight loss so far, bet you're feeling fab xxx

Allibalibee I genuinely envy you (in a nice way) along with many others on their weightless journey when it comes to exercising. All of the Doctors at my surgery have told me I can't do any exercise apart from walking which upsets me quite a fair bit as I used to walk on a daily basis of anything from 6 miles + as I hated public transport...
Ooh if only there was a time-machine that I could borrow and freeze time to 2003 hmmmmm well if only

Thanks hun :D Still pop my head round the door here ;) On the last push of my weight loss journey and its proving to be the hardest :sigh: Joined WW about 3 weeks ago and have lost 4½ lbs so far, although I've upped my gym time this past week and its looking like I might have a STS or even a small gain this week :rolleyes: Think what I need to do is cut out my gym time till I get to goal, then use the gym as part of my maintaining.
Either way I'll get there :D
Well done on your weight loss so far, bet you're feeling fab xxx

Well done on the 4lbs hun, that's brilliant, the last leg, is always the hardest, you'll do it hun!

That's a brilliant idea, I can't wait til I get to maintaining, got a way to go yet though..I'm feeling fab thanks hun, so much better for nearly 5stone gone :D
xx

Allibalibee I genuinely envy you (in a nice way) along with many others on their weightless journey when it comes to exercising. All of the Doctors at my surgery have told me I can't do any exercise apart from walking which upsets me quite a fair bit as I used to walk on a daily basis of anything from 6 miles + as I hated public transport...
Ooh if only there was a time-machine that I could borrow and freeze time to 2003 hmmmmm well if only

Hey hun, walking is fab exercise for you, and its what I do the most of. When I go to the gym, I use the bkie, the treadmill, cross trainer and the rowing machine. I damaged my knee years ago and cannot do any form of high impact exercise on it. I used to play badminton when I was younger, and would love to be able to play again, and despite the weight I've lost, playing it is still not an option :sigh:
When I started exericsing, I was over 20st, and I started off with walking round the block, 3 years down the line, I've done 3 half marathons at the Edinburgh Moonwalk, and I'm signed up for the full marathon next year at Edinburgh.
Hang in there hun, one day at a time and before you know it, you'll be well into your weight loss journey :)
x

There was a time when I used to walk everywhere including from N1/ EC1 to NW9 (zone 1 to zone 4 in greater London). Then came osteomalacia and not so long after developing into arthritis. Wish there was a Doc with Time Machine

toofatkat said:

Saw my GP yesterday and we had a lengthy discussion on all of these points and more. GP said that One does not have to any fat in a meal as that guide is only a maximum amount allowed on Xenical and if One wishes to have 0 or 1% of fat then that is absolutely fine as long as the body is getting it's fruit and veg a day

Thats true, there are good fats and bad fats...we obviously need the good fats, Xenical removes all fats though.. and because Xenical only works with fat, if you don't eat enough fat then it's not to be effective.

zenical

hi i too take zenical and am ok with it the reason its comes out slimly and runny is because you"ve probably had too much oil and fat in your food it used to happen with me all the time but i know now what foods to avoid so its normal hope this helps

bunny_hops said:
Thats true, there are good fats and bad fats...we obviously need the good fats, Xenical removes all fats though.. and because Xenical only works with fat, if you don't eat enough fat then it's not to be effective.

I think I'll stick with my Doctor's advise as he is of medical profession (like my kid brother but a heck of a lot older) as he did tell me it is okay to have fat free meals on xenical

I think you're both right to be honest...

Xenical works by getting rid of a third of the fat in each meal you eat (when you take your tablet). This fat isn't absorbed by your body, but passes out in your stools.
This gives you a helping hand with your weight loss (because you're consuming fewer calories) but it can cause the 'Tango' effect if you eat foods that contain too much fat.

Bunny is right in what she says, because if you eat foods without any fat, the Xenical is not actually doing anything (how can you eliminate a third of nothing?)

On the other hand, your doctor is right too, because being on Xenical is basically teaching us to eat a low-fat diet that we can maintain for life.
So it goes against the grain to try to eat more fat, just to give the Xenical something to do!

When I was taking Xenical, I used to take it with each and every meal - partly because I found it useful to stay in that routine, and partly because it stopped me from being tempted to eat high-fat snacks in between meals....some people describe Xenical like having a little blue policeman that stops them eating anything 'naughty'.

So I'd say try not to worry about eating all your 'quota' of fat each day...you definitely don't have to hit 15g per meal/45g per day if you don't need to.
The most important thing to do is to make sure you stay within the 5g fat per 100g food rule (obviously not exceeding 45g per day either) but like Bunny says, your body does need some good fats, whether you're on Xenical or not, so don't cut them out altogether...

Good luck!
x

Best opinion I've heard so far. I agree.

Well ive got to get to my vitamin D and C levels upto 70 (which at present are now 42, it was 25 in the beginning of January this yr) before my GP can put me forward for keyhole on my spine, hips knees, left shin and both ankles and feet plus maybe right shoulder/ collar bone. It's really just to investigate the damage of arthritis hence only being allowed to walk even with countless pit stops (urghhh). I had spoken to my GP about my intake on fluids (including meal replacement shakes) and solid meals and he told me to continue taking Xen' even with the shakes. I had shown him what I had been eating including ingredients and he said that that was absolutely fine and that I was not doing any damage by only having 0 to 4% of fat in a complete meal. He had said that many people get confused by it and think that they have to have 45g of fat equally shared between 3 meals which is not the case. (- just thought I'd share that bit of info)

Back