Extra Easy Just Joined - diabetic type 2 as well!

Hi Binge Eater, for me, eating a low carb plan is about simple healthy choices, meats, fish, dairy, and vegetables that grow above ground, those that grow below store more starches and raise blood sugars. Fruits limited to berries and melons.

The only problem with low carbing for me, is eating enough and cheaply and lunches and snacks and eating out etc. And to be totally honest, it does help lose weight and also to keep sugars down, but an increase in cholesterol and other things really need me to focus more on health and lower fat.

Well done so far to you though :)

Thank you Sallybear. I suppose slow and steady wins the race or rather I have no other choice,lol. It really is a catch 22. you try to keep both fats and sugars down but you need both. so hard to reach a balance. high protein is good to lose weight but what of our cholesterol?. carbs are good to satisfy our hunger and give us energy but then what about the fact that they break down into sugar?. we cant win, lol. I guess we just have to balance it out and weight loss no matter how slow it is will be an extra bonus for us.

I'm going to the doctors next week as have been getting a few symptoms that when I look into them have the connection of diabetes :confused:
I was wondering how those of you that were diagnosed found out you had diabetes?

Hi Emsie, I had it each time during my four pregnancies but it went away when the children were born. Five years after my youngest was born, I was constantly hungry, urinating a lot, having to get up in the night to go, extreme tiredness and above all, needing a constant supply of sugar. I was obviously having sugar crashes so was feeling so tired. To counteract this, I would eat another bar of chocolate. It was a vicious cycle. eating sugar, sugar crash and needing it again to keep awake and have some energy. I also have an apple shape (thin arms, legs) but big at the front on my tummy and boobs which is a sign of insulin resistance. Another strange symptom I had was that my underarms and any areas with folds on my body was darker than the rest of my skin. Under my arms was brown stained and no matter how hard I scrubbed, I could not get it 'clean'. I didn't know at the time that this was another sign of insulin resistance. Obvious signs though are definitely going to toilet a lot, tiredness, sugar cravings.

I hope it goes ok for you and that you don't have it. Good luck.

What are your symptoms?.

Hi Gossamer,

You say most docters in the UK don't give out testing strips? I was diagnosed in the UK in 2005 and since then i have been receiving free meters and strips. 2 years ago i moved to Norhern Ireland and as soon as i registered with a doctor they gave me a meter straight away.
But you are right about the carbs, we do have to be careful and that's why i am mostly on red/original days. I do take medicine but since i started SW they have been reduced by half so i know it is working.

Hi Emsie,

When i was living in England i noticed tiredness and indeed waking up at night either for a drink or to go to the toilet. Combine that with people telling me i was grumpy (never knew i could be grumpy, lol) and that caused the visit to the doctor. Next day hospital and voila.
Been on medicine since but since i started SW the meds have been reduced by half. What you describe sure are symptoms of diabetes, let us know how you got on and what they think it is.

Hi Emsie,

When i was living in England i noticed tiredness and indeed waking up at night either for a drink or to go to the toilet. Combine that with people telling me i was grumpy (never knew i could be grumpy, lol) and that caused the visit to the doctor. Next day hospital and voila.
Been on medicine since but since i started SW the meds have been reduced by half. What you describe sure are symptoms of diabetes, let us know how you got on and what they think it is.
Thanks will do

Hi Emsie,

Was thinking if being on sw has helped you reduce your meds would being on sw affect the results of a test in the first place (if that makes sense)

I don't think it will influence it because they will do different tests. A blood test to check the long term sugars of the past months. And a glucose test to see how quickly after a sugar drink your levels go back. And the last one is probably the one in your case that determine whether you have diabetes or not. But without what looks like a massive weightloss already you could have been much worse of. So you are doing a brilliant job and if there is a case of diabetes then it would most likely have been there already before you started losing weight.

Hi Emsie, you should always just go to your GP if you suspect. Mine sent me for a fasting Blood Test which came back at 17.9 after not eating for 14 hours. I was put straight onto medication quite strong stuff, and then after some time managed to get my weight down and eat less carbs. But the symptoms I was having were incredible dry mouth especially over night, and thirst that couldn't be quenched. Also my hair started falling out, and tired isn't even the word for it.

Even thought my sugars are still quite high and not yet under control, my health has improved massivly since being diagnosed. I hope you find out one way or the other soon.

Went to gp last night, she gave me a form so I can get bloods done at the hospital and said this doesn't need to be a fasting test or said I could go to Lloyds and get tested which would need to be a fasting one. Its difficult with work to fit in going to Lloyds for the fasting one so was going to go the hospital tonight and get bloods taken but wondering about the accuracy of this test?

It sounds like if you do have diabetes , no matter what time of day, your blood sugars will show too high compared to someone who does not have it... The fasting blood test is probably more accurate so if possible, would go for that one if you can take a half hour from work?

Bumping this up!

I actually went off SW and now am back as need to lose weight properly.

Have tried eating a lot more low carb and it has worked but need to focus on what I do eat and SW is really good to lose..

Thanks to those of you who are T2 who replied....hope we can be of support to each other and those who are new to SW with diabetes too

I also have Coeliac disease so have to work and think double hard ( for me ) planning what to eat...:sigh:

Hi Emsie, you should always just go to your GP if you suspect. Mine sent me for a fasting Blood Test which came back at 17.9 after not eating for 14 hours. I was put straight onto medication quite strong stuff, and then after some time managed to get my weight down and eat less carbs. But the symptoms I was having were incredible dry mouth especially over night, and thirst that couldn't be quenched. Also my hair started falling out, and tired isn't even the word for it.

Even thought my sugars are still quite high and not yet under control, my health has improved massivly since being diagnosed. I hope you find out one way or the other soon.

Oh my God sallybear!! Im convinced my hair is falling out on top too - around my fringe... maybe this is from the T2...
Very interesting!! :)

When I had diabetic symptoms I told the doctor & he sent me for the tests at the hospital, it takes 4 hrs in total & all the tests up to the last one didn't show the symptoms, the last one in which they measure over the 4 hrs you are there, did! I am now back to normal readings.
Just started doing Tai Chi, nice & slow exercise! Just need to be able to get my 67yr old brain into gear........

Back