Just need some reassurance!

huntsu1

Hi, just a bit of background... I reached target 11.5 in June and then went on 3 week holiday including 2 weeks in Italy and came back and had had a new kitchen fitted - 3 weeks with just a kettle, toaster and microwave, decided it was best not to go straight back to class (BIG mistake) until I had lost the 1st 3lbs gained. I have always been overweight and this is the first time since childhood I have been a 'normal' size.

Joined class again beginning September and had a great first week -7 then realised had not had a period since July and having trouble sleeping hot flushes etc. I knew it was coming but had always thought I would sail through (usually really positive) along with those symptoms began to feel pretty fed up for no apparent reason so read up a bit and decided to take Menopace (herbal). So second week weigh in +3 3rd week -4 followed by -1, my losses are not normally this erratic (lost 4.5 stones over 18 months) and then had a trip to the doctor - haven't been in a number of years but a BP test done at work revealed very high blood pressure.. The doctor immediately put me on meds and advised me to stop exercising (5 sessions a week ! of which personal trainer so pretty hard going) until it was lower, anyway have been on meds for three weeks now and still high so he had doubled one of the meds and I have to have blood tests tomorrow.

Last weeks weigh in was the final straw +2.5 really undeserved, so upset I could not stay to class as I would have cried when it got to me... I have kept at it this week although it looks like a possible 1 lb gain or at best stayed the same (I only weigh the morning of my official class just to see what to expect).

I am not going to give up and will do a diary this week just to make sure there is nothing creeping in... has anyone else gone though similar either with the menopause or at the start of medication? As the title says I just need to know I can get through this and will start to loose again.

I have no advice re the menopause but just wanted to say well done for going back to class after your gain, it's hard going back and facing everyone i know it is.

I hope someone can help reassure you, remember how far you have come and remember that your health comes first so if you need to stay on your meds for a little while even though your weight loss slows down then so be it. Getting stressed about your weight can't be helping your blood pressure either.

xxx

Well done for going back to class. However I am surprised by your GP's advice to stop your exercise. I suggest that you do some yoga or Zumba Gold, Or even find a EXTEND class that has a instructor that challenges all members, your body is used to you exercising, stopping exercising suddenly will not do you, your weight or your blood pressure any favours. Gentle exercise is the key x

For menopausal symptoms, like hot flushes/sweats, I would recommend Sage Leaf tablets. You can get them in places like Holland & Barrett & work wanders!

It's not you - it's your hormones, plus you are getting used to new medication. All of this is a tremendous upheaval and your body doesn't know where it is at the moment.

Talk to your doctor about the hot flushes because there are things you can take, without having HRT (which might not be a good idea coupled with the blood pressure problems). I wasn't allowed HRT - didn't want it anyway - because of other problems, and I found I could cope with the rest of it when the hot flushes were under control. I took some tiny blue pills - can't remember what they were called, think it began with a C. There are also the herbal remedies, but check these out with your doctor, because they can interfere with other medication.

Once things have settled down a bit, I am sure you will find that the weight loss will settle down too. You just have to be a bit patient.

one way to look at it is that even if you've had a STS or even a gain while sticking to the plan, imagine how much you would have put on if you hadn't been sticking to the plan. In other words, even if sticking to it isn't giving you the losses you want (and deserve) for a little while as your body becomes accustomed to the tablets and the horrendous increase in hormones rocketting through your body at the moment, imagine if you weren't even sticking to it how much weight you would be piling on. It will all work itself back to a normal regime soon, just give it some time. Maybe speak to your GP about gradually building in some gentle walking while your blood pressure is high so at least you'll feel like your doing something. But sticking with the plan, and keeping going to class is a positive move and in the right direction, so your weight should follow soon and start going back in the right direction too. hope you find some resolution to this soon xxxxx

This might seem very bizarre and coincidental but I have had persistent borderline high blood pressure for 17 years following my first pregnancy. Usually it's around 140ish/98ish (lower value did go up to 103 and doc got a bit jittery as I'm on the pill for early menopause). I have been wearing a trion-z magnetic bracelet for about 10 weeks and my last bp reading was 130/80. It has never been that low and I have been this weight and on the pill a number of times before. Now I could just be eating more healthily than ever before for a sustained period of time, but a number of people have reported good results with blood pressure using magnetic bracelets. I am such a sceptic about this sort of thing and actually used them for joint pain as a bit of a last resort having trawled the Internet (hasn't helped at all for my joints). might be worth doing a search on the Internet and see what you think.

I have no advice re the menopause but just wanted to say well done for going back to class after your gain, it's hard going back and facing everyone i know it is.

I hope someone can help reassure you, remember how far you have come and remember that your health comes first so if you need to stay on your meds for a little while even though your weight loss slows down then so be it. Getting stressed about your weight can't be helping your blood pressure either.

xxx

I was going to say the same - I have no experience with the menopause ( although I'm sure mine is not far off lol ) but I am sure you will get on top of this. I have friends at class that are on various meds and are going through similar to you and I feel genuinely sad for them in that I know they are trying their hardest. I am crossing everything for you - keep focussed on the future xxxxxx

Back