Laura's Summer Slimming!

It looks like you're having a good loss every other week Laura. What does your diabetic nurse advise?

Yeah so far though not confident about today...and I'd be ok with that if those weeks between were STS but they are gains when I have followed the exact same plan?!?!

Something just isn't making sense and I'm not sure what.

My DSN/consultant know it's harder to lose weight when injecting insulin (at the end of the day it's a hormone which lays down fat!) but they don't offer specific advice other than the usual "healthy eating" message - which is what I am doing! There is no specific diet for Type 1 diabetes.....the only thing i have been caught out with is hypos as my body weight reduces so do my insulin needs but it's me that adjusts that, not them.

So yeah. Just feeling really down about it all today - I have a holiday in July I need to be slimmer for!!!! Lol.

I think if you could keep your syns to 8 every day, you could do Extra Easy and have another B choice without it effecting your weight loss. Try and include more snacks to avoid the hypos, ham, chicken, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber , carrot sticks apple and celery fruit and yogurt, pickled onions beetroot. Lentils, pulses, pasta, sweet potatoes, noodles, although you will still have to weigh them to balance with your insulin. Try switching to skimmed milk. Your food diary looks really good, I think you need more snacks at regular intervals to prevent hypos. The Extra Easy cookbook has got some good recipes in for meals, and also more fish in your meals. What do you eat or drink if you're having a hypo and need to get your blood sugar up? Keep some apples, grapes or bananas in your bag to grab, rather than Lucozade or glucose tablets. Keep 1/3 of your meals superfree, some spinach, mangetout and leafy veg, there are some meals you're not including it. Hope that helps, but you're the expert so tell me if any of that doesn't sound right. xx

Last edited:
Also, be careful with cheese, even the low/reduced fat cheeses. Stick to the exact measurements in the book , and don't split them. If you have cheese, you can have 100 ml of skimmed milk for 3 syns. If you include the free carbs such as lentils, pulses etc, you should be able to avoid hypo's altogether. Have you noticed a time of day they're happening, ie early morning or after exercise? Try taking your bm's more so you can spot if your blood sugar is getting low. With an extra B choice, you could have porridge oats for brekkie, and keep a couple of hi fi or alpen light bars in your bag. Keep a food diary as well, so you can see what's happening and you can refer back to them. Try and be patient, if you can give this enough time, you should be able to work out why you're having gains every other week, and spot what's happening on food diary. xx nb, and remove all visible fat and skin from fish or poultry.

Last edited:
Thanks littlemissslim. Sorry haven't been here to update this!

So this week I embarked on something I will be amazed if I can do in 8 weeks....run 5K. I have the Couch25K app on my phone and decided last week to start it....while SW does drop the lbs, my legs (thighs!) are my biggest problem area and it's those (and my bum!) that need slimmed down the most so I figured some cardio exercise which is running will do this. I hope.

I won't lie, the first day was fine, had a rest day the next as I was sore, and on Sunday I was flagging a bit but then who said exercise was easy?! And actually I quite enjoyed it, never thought I'd hear myself say that about running.

Exercise brings other challenges for me, trying to manage my insulin doses along side too but pleased to report that so far reducing my boluses by 20% before and the following meal after is working and not a hypo yet. Also I run a max of 2 hours after a meal so there is still active insulin circulating. Oh for the day when I didn't have to worry about these things and could just do something and my body takes care of the rest - pah!

Onto today's food....it is 9 weeks tomorrow until we go on holiday.

My scales were showing a nice loss this week (I did the scan bran challenge thing for 4 days of last week) but I had a night out on Friday which had been planned for ages and I did go over my syns, I think I used about 25. So since that nice loss I saw Saturday morning, a couple of lbs had reappeared this morning which is annoying but kind of expected...alcohol really is my nemesis sometimes!! Lol.

I am hoping the scales at class tonight at least show a bit of a loss though, am hopeful for maybe 1lb but any loss is welcomed and hopefully the rest of my good work last week and onto this week will also show next week?!

Breakfast - banana & custard mullerlight with mixed berries & cup of tea

Lunch - spicy tomato & lentil soup with 2 scan bran and a dollop of FF natural yoghurt

Dinner - TBC

I think if you could keep your syns to 8 every day, you could do Extra Easy and have another B choice without it effecting your weight loss. Try and include more snacks to avoid the hypos, ham, chicken, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, chopped cucumber , carrot sticks apple and celery fruit and yogurt, pickled onions beetroot. Lentils, pulses, pasta, sweet potatoes, noodles, although you will still have to weigh them to balance with your insulin. Try switching to skimmed milk. Your food diary looks really good, I think you need more snacks at regular intervals to prevent hypos. The Extra Easy cookbook has got some good recipes in for meals, and also more fish in your meals. What do you eat or drink if you're having a hypo and need to get your blood sugar up? Keep some apples, grapes or bananas in your bag to grab, rather than Lucozade or glucose tablets. Keep 1/3 of your meals superfree, some spinach, mangetout and leafy veg, there are some meals you're not including it. Hope that helps, but you're the expert so tell me if any of that doesn't sound right. xx

The thing is, diabetics shouldn't need to snack more often than anyone else does if they don't want to. That's if their insulin doses are correct, which of course is the hard part!

Also, protein snacks don't do anything to BG levels so snacking on them wouldn't help - I do try to have protein snacks if I am peckish between meals because the don't really affect my levels. :) When you have a hypo you can't treat it with fruit etc, it has to be fast acting glucose - my treatment of choice is the small cartons of fresh orange juice (at least I get some vitamin C that way?! lol), but sometimes jelly babies or fruit pastilles as they are more portable so I always carry those too. The most important thing is to get levels up as soon as possible so my liver doesn't kick in and spit out lots of (unwanted!) glucose too, but also because hypos are horrid and I want to feel better as soon as possible!! It's really hard NOT to eat everything in site because your body is screaming at you to get carbs on board and the hunger is horrible, it's like you aren't in control at all and it's just about learning to deal with that too.

I am on the waiting list now for an insulin pump & that day cannot come fast enough, hopefully have it by next summer! xx

Weigh in at class......

-1.5lbs :)

Not bad considering I had a night out etc. If I hadn't had a night out maybe I'd have seen that elusive 2lb off in a week!

I'm on an absolute mission the next 9 weeks to lose the stone I want to before my holiday. The more the better but I've accepted I'm a slower loser so I know my original target is impossible by July!

Onto dinner tonight, was soooo hungry after weigh in, I'd made chickpea dhal loaves yesterday so had those with a raita dip & a massive salad with pickles & beetroot too. Yummy!

Going to have strawberries in a bit & maybe a hot chocolate.

Attachments

• image-1507930499.jpg
    image-1507930499.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 104
Weigh in at class......

-1.5lbs :)

Not bad considering I had a night out etc. If I hadn't had a night out maybe I'd have seen that elusive 2lb off in a week!

I'm on an absolute mission the next 9 weeks to lose the stone I want to before my holiday. The more the better but I've accepted I'm a slower loser so I know my original target is impossible by July!

Onto dinner tonight, was soooo hungry after weigh in, I'd made chickpea dhal loaves yesterday so had those with a raita dip & a massive salad with pickles & beetroot too. Yummy!

Going to have strawberries in a bit & maybe a hot chocolate.

Congrats on your loss my lovely! That's fab news.

Could I have the recipe for the chickpea loaves if you get a minute? They look delish!xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Congrats on your loss my lovely! That's fab news.

Could I have the recipe for the chickpea loaves if you get a minute? They look delish!xx

Of course! They are easy peasy....recipe I found on here somewhere!

1 tin of chickpea dhal (Asda own or Mazedar brand from Morrisons are both free, some others are v high in syns!)
1 packet of curry flavour savoury rice
1 onion finely chopped
3 eggs

Cook off the onion in some fry light, cook the savoury rice as directed, mix everything together then I just put into silicone cupcake moulds and baked for about 20-30 mins until it was all set and solid/cooked throughout. You can cook it in one big loaf tin and slice up if you prefer but I liked the individual ones plus its easier for me to count my carbs that way (for my insulin :) ) The mix above made 12, I froze 6 too. The only thing I would do different next time is probably add a few more spices of my own, give them a little bit more of a kick maybe!

Enjoy & thank you for your kind words, onwards and downwards huh?! xx

Of course! They are easy peasy....recipe I found on here somewhere!

1 tin of chickpea dhal (Asda own or Mazedar brand from Morrisons are both free, some others are v high in syns!)
1 packet of curry flavour savoury rice
1 onion finely chopped
3 eggs

Cook off the onion in some fry light, cook the savoury rice as directed, mix everything together then I just put into silicone cupcake moulds and baked for about 20-30 mins until it was all set and solid/cooked throughout. You can cook it in one big loaf tin and slice up if you prefer but I liked the individual ones plus its easier for me to count my carbs that way (for my insulin :) ) The mix above made 12, I froze 6 too. The only thing I would do different next time is probably add a few more spices of my own, give them a little bit more of a kick maybe!

Enjoy & thank you for your kind words, onwards and downwards huh?! xx

Definitely onwards and downwards!

Loving that recipe - will definite be making some of those bad boys!xx

Final food for today........

Breakfast - banana & custard mullerlight with mixed berries & cup of tea.

Lunch - spicy tomato & lentil soup with 2 scan bran (2 syns) and a dollop of FF natural yoghurt. An orange.

Dinner - chickpea dhal loaves & raita with salad, pickles, beetroot. Salad cream (2.5 syns) Strawberries with greek muller strawberry yoghurt (0.5 syn).

HeB - 2 x rocky road light bars
HeA - milk in tea
Snacks - banana, ham with some low low cheese spread (20g) (2 syns)

Syns - 7

Drunk 2L water today too!

Last edited:
Good morning, hope it's sunny where you are!

Breakfast - chopped up fresh mango with a coconut mullerlight - delicious! Cup of tea

Lunch - spicy tomato and lentil soup with 2 scan bran (2 syns, or might use as my HeB depending what else I have later) plus a grapefruit.

Dinner I have salmon fillets, am thinking soy sauce, lime, chilli & honey marinade with a few new potatoes and broccoli, maybe carrots too....probably strawberries after, maybe melon too.

Also going to make some carrot and butterbean soup tonight, trying to fit in more superspeed foods this week and am keeping my syns lower. I want to hit my stone target soon...4.5lbs away from it.

Didn't get out a run yesterday (grrrrrrr) so definitely after work that is the plan before dinner!

Today's food in the end was.....

Breakfast - chopped up fresh mango with a coconut mullerlight. Cup of tea

Lunch - spicy tomato and lentil soup with 2 scan bran (2 syns) plus a grapefruit.

Dinner - salmon marinated in soy sauce, lime, honey, ginger, chilli & spring onion with wilted spinach with nutmeg, quinoa & broccoli. It was blooming delicious!!

Snacks - 1 Aldi Benefit bar (1/2 HeB), 1 banana, 1 rocky road light hi-fi bar (1/2 HeB) & a bowl of melon and strawberries.

HeA - milk in my tea (250ml semi skimmed)

Syns - scan bran (2) and honey in marinade (1)

A pretty low syn day but I haven't felt like I needed anything else so am not eating just for the sake of it! And I would really like a great loss this week!!

Highlighted the foods in my diary that are superspeed as trying to up those too - will need to check tomorrow if mango and tomatoes are or not....speed, superspeed and superfree sometimes I get mixed up!

Hope everyone has had a good day too, drop by and say hello! xx

Dinner looks lovely!
Glad the scales are moving in the right direction for you!
And thank you for your feed back, I'm a health care assistant working in a hospital as well as C, just had a new member with type 1 join me,
and it's really helped me help someone else and understand some more of the challenges you face. (hope some of that I said, helped with your weight loss as well!) xx

Back