Lost 4lbs in a year!!!!!!!!

Welcome Jojo

Well WI this morning and I've lost 1lb. I'm fine with that, actually I'm really pleased as the SW diet really suits me, but it would have been nice to get into the 14's.Target for next week to get under 15st.

Also started my 3rd 'fat' bag. I can hardly lift the other 2, shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well WI this morning and I've lost 1lb.

Very well done me dear! I stopped being impressed with my big initial losses from diets that I did in the past as I always yo-yo'd from that point in so "little & often" will soon add up. "Fat bags" are the best thing ever :8855: My 80s brain keeps thinging of a green-faced Grotbags like witch made from lard ... yes I blame the lack of sugar in my diet!

I'm finding the options drinks are really helping on the sugar/choc score (2syns) . It was my normal weight, never been on a diet, darling daughter that turned me on to them. She loves them.
My question is always 'if I was at my dream weight would I eat this?' for the options the answer is YES but not every flavour. They are on special at £2 in Tescos at the moment so I'm stocking up.

I relly am happy with 1lb, it's about what I was losing counting calories but I'm eating more and not as peckish in the evening.

I actually find I'm better if I don't start down the sweet road, I get a taste for it and then kapow! I did have some natural yogurt with a bit of nice lemon curd the other day and that was good. That's a good mantra actually: 'if I was at my dream weight would I eat this?' and so far - apart from sweetener most things I would say yes so that's pretty good to eat what you enjoy and lose weight - I ain't complaining that's for sure!

Ta - I thought happy King Kong-esque frog eating tootie-frootie coloured skyscrapers would be for me!

How've your eats been today?

I've had:

trimmed bacon and egg hot sarnie - 1 slice synned and other HEXB
half a tin of baked beans

I was out early so didn't get breakfast else that would've been fruit.

dinner will be prawn, lentil, sweet potato and spinach curry with basmati rice - coconut milk synned - 40 in one tin! But this makes a good 6 portions so worth it as very yummy.

First real challenge tonight.

Family arrived with crys of why don't we get a takeaway? So instead of the planned meal, I got an Indian takeaway. Problem was I wasn't sure what to order for the best. Went for Tandoori lamb chops and rice, couldn't face a huge salad but was quite happy to make some extra sweetcorn. Not SF but I thought it was better than nothing. Ate just over half the chops plus the rice, sweetcorn, a wee bit of salad and a yoghurt dressing that tasted sweet. Then I had Summer fruits for pudding so a bit more SF there. I used up 3 syns at breakfast so had 12 left I think it was probably over by about 8 but it's a bit of a guess. I just won't have any more tonight.

Eating when it's not me cooking is something I need to learn how to negotiate on SW, any tips?

40 in one tin of coconut milk!!!!!!!!!! Just the avocado salad for me then :0)

Tricky one that - but this is a plan for real life so sometimes you just have to make the best choice you can rather than think sod it - it's a treat I won't count it. I think those were pretty good choices actually. I've joined SW online so actually have the book with syn values in them and roughly it says based on EE days:

Lamb Rhogan Josh - 6.5syns. Nothing for lamb chops but as they're usually just spiced and grilled they would probably be less than 6 unless particularly fatty.
Plain rice - FREE per serving
Pilau - 2.5syns per serving
Canned sweetcorn - FREE
Yogurt dip - most of the ones in the book are between 1-2syns primarily due to sugar - so again not much if you only had a a small amount.

I actually think you're probably within your 12 syns you had spare so that's brilliantly negotiated - especially your pudding choice!

I read on one of the stickies here that 15 syns is around 300 calories - so sometimes perhaps it's worth guesstimating eg that individual trifle's around 200cal so must be about 10 syns. Just as a rough guess until you get savvy with the values. Surprising things like squirts of tomato sauce are quite high in syns because of suger content - tends to be that and fat that keeps it high on syn value.

If you don't have a book to hand - it might be worth checking on eBay - there are always some on there - even ones a couple of years out of date will still have the correct syn values - tends to be branded foods and changes to what's allowed on HEx's that are different.

But again I think you did really well in the face of temptation, you held yourself accountable and still enjoyed a meal out of your comfort zone so hooray!

Thanks. Next time I'm going to ask them to make me a prawn Rogan Josh. As long as I avoid the nan it should be ok. I would have preferred the tandoori king prawns but they're £13 and that's takeaway without any rice or anything!!!

I'm going to go through the local takeaway menus and find out the syns for a couple of dishes on each one so I'm prepared.

I ordered some books from Amazon before I started but they haven't arrived yet. Ideally I'd like to go to a class but the nearest one is 35miles away. I thought about online but it seemed a bit expensive as we're probably talking about 2 or 3 years. I don't want to put pressure on myself to lose it faster to save money.

The other day I was thinking about some of the things I'd like to do but have stopped doing because of the weight.

I want to-

go down the flumes at center parcs
go ape
go horse riding
go on the roller coasters
go zorbing
go skating
play on the trampoline
fit into boots
run
jump

How many times a week if any do you eat bread? I don't like to eat it but sometimes I really struggle with what to have for lunch and some evenings when I get in from the gym (it can be quite late) so don't like to cook a full dinner

I usually eat one slice a day as HExB but if you don't like it certainly don't make yourself. Lunches could be pasta or rice salad, a sandwich [syn one slice] of free food eg chicken, tuna, ham etc. If you fancy something warm you could have soup and ryvita.

Or do a big batch of cooking at the weekend eg chill and then portion up in your freezer, take it out in the morning and then you only need to heat it up in the evening. Or an omelette is quick and easy? If you've got frozen veg eg sweetcorn, onion, peppers etc quick to add it to bulk up or to rice or quick stir-fry.

I think with SW you do need an element of planning beforehand and maybe mixing it up a bit as boredom can lead to bad choices. If you go to the main Slimming World forum on here there are lots of winter warmer recips and suggestions on what others are having so you might get some helpful ideas there too.

I would have preferred the tandoori king prawns but they're £13 and that's takeaway without any rice or anything!!!

Thanks. Next time I'm going to ask them to make me a prawn Rogan Josh. As long as I avoid the nan it should be ok. I would have preferred the tandoori king prawns but they're £13

£13! Shocker! Syn values in my book has Prawn Bhuna 10 syns, Brawn Biriyani 15 syns - I guess because of the buttery rice part.

Best ones I can see are:

Chicken Bhuna/Beef Madras - 11 syns
Chicken Tandoori - 9 but guess will be a bit dry as sauce-free.
" Vindaloo - 8
" Dhansak - 6.5
Lanb Rhogan Josh - 6.5 - surprising actually
Poppadums - 4 each
Oh and an onion bhaji is 8 syns in case you ever succumb! Plain naan is 20 syns per bread for plain so definitely a high option.

I did join online only because the accountability of paying money out actually keeps me on the straight and narrow and I need that to keep me motivated. I've got a class fairly close by but I'm a bit ho-hum about classes - I did go before but our leader changed and I didn't have too much confidence in her which I think affected my going and I ended up staying just for weigh in. 35 miles is just too far I don't blame you. I'll give my online subscription a good six months and then see if I'm a position to do it on my own - though to me the money spent to get back to a healthy weight and feel great will be absolutely worth it.

I really liked your list of things you've stopped/want to do.

I'd like to:

climb up several flights of stairs without feeling puffed out
enjoy active holidays
accept invitations/make fun choices - not turn them down because I feel fat/uncomfortable/self-conscious
learn to swim
feel the sun on my upper arms
wear more colours and less fabric

So much more to life when you feel happy and confident - I think it all stems from there really.

ps - Lovely picture! - so nice to have a face for a name.

Well for today I have had a packet of wotsits for tea break lunch will be bachelors beef rice and a yogurt and I was thinking of having a toasted bacon sandwich for dinner with an apple and banana would this be ok?

Well for me I would feel hungry - I like a bit more volume. Do you have breakfast? I'm presuming the beef rice is free and your yogurt is syn free?

If your bacon is lean that would be ok but you will need to syn one slice of bread as you can only have one on EE unless it's from a 400g loaf - mine are always from the standard 800g loaf so I always have to syn the other.

Also what do you have for HExA? You could add some cheese to your bacon sarnie or have it as a snack with Ryvita's if you have enough syns. I love a cuppa - so I almost always have mine in tea1

Also maybe some more veg - perhaps with your rice at lunch? Just add in some peppers perhaps or peas or green beans or whatever you prefer. Help to fill you up too.

How are you finding your current eating - are there things you'd like to change?

I think you need to include more of the super free foods. Not always easy to do but you need 5 portions of frit and veg a day and you seem to be only eating 2.

Oh do learn to swim. I love swimming. I plan to go to aqua aerobics in March after my birthday. At the moment I'm too young to get in!!!!!!

I did try adult swimming lessons around a decade back but as I'm really quite short-sighted I found it really disconcerting being in the water and not being able to see or judge distance. I think I was also shyer back then so perhaps it'll be different this time round. I've got one-day contacts - perhaps I can use those or will the chlorine disintegrate them ... and my eyeballs? :eek: ps do you have a big birthday coming up? or are the funny about who they let in their pools :p !

Jojo - I wouldn't eat more if you're not hungry for food, but like bb says perhaps fit in more SF foods. Just build up if it seems to much at the beginning. I personally just can't fancy salad when it's cold but happy with cooked veg as part of dinner and it takes up room on the plate that I'd normally have potato/pasta/rice in.

Back